Sign in to follow this  
End1e551

Questions... Round 2

Been playing some more lately, and I've come up with a few more questions.

1) What do the different icons on the radar screen mean? I see somthing that looks like a "V", and other things with a diamond and a number in them (I'm assuming they're SAM's). I thought I read somewhere what they were, but I can't find the information again. Any suggestions / info / advice?

2) Is there any info on the gun pip, or what range is effective with certain guns? Just wondering as it's very hard to get A/A kills, or even A/G kills without excessive rounds fired by "walking the fire". I imagine on the newer fighters like the F-15 or F-16 that they'd have some sort of adjustment for speed / elevation, but again I'm not finding any info on it.

Still just playing stock campaigns so any info would be much appreciated!

hey man!

In regards to the radar screen, normally something like (Z) is a ZPU-23-4 ground target (The little A-A gun EVERYWHERE). If the simbol is a (23), then a MiG-23 Flogger is targeting you. I think a SAM is (S-2) for the Guideline, but I'm not sure on that one. Normally, targeting radars are surrounded by a diamond and your RWR is beeping.

On regards of the piper for planes, the piper (unless you get a radar lock) is only calibrated for a default or "preset" distance. I think it's about 1000 feet or something. It really comes down to "walking the fire" or just learning where bullets will land at any given angle and speed. Normally, I make my gun runs a bit steeper than normal, just to ensure bullets don't drop that much. After sometime, you'll get used to it, and a 1/10th second burst from a vulcan or a 1/3rd second burst from the cannons will be enough to destroy a ground target.

In this the Diamond probably signifies the TEWS has classified the signature as a priority target.

You will only see this display on post 1978 jets - the older ones will have a basic vector RHAW scope.

in #1 above are you speaking of the actual radar screen, or the RWR display?? Possibly you're convusing TWS (Track-While-Scan) with TEWS (Tactical Early Warning System). Oddly, the SF2 manuel neglets the TEWS altogether...

The TEWS symbology displays radar types, as defined in the aircraft ***_RWR.lst (the tgas for them are in one of the flightdata cats, if one wants to extract and study, as well as the lists themselves). There have been some MAJOR upgrades as well, by dtmdragon and whiteboysamauri; for both airborne and ground/sea based threats.

btw, the ZPU23 is optically tracked, so there's no display for that. the "Z" is most likely the GunDish on the Zeus-23s

Great, thank you very much. It was the TEWS that I was looking for info on. I wish there was a complete list somewhere of what each icon meant though...

Yes Wrench, the "8" is the SA-8, and the "Z" is the Gun Dish.

end: re-read the 2nd paragrpah in my post above

end: re-read the 2nd paragrpah in my post above

Thanks again Wrench, must've been somewhere else mentally when I read your post.

:fool: