gerwin

Alternate TFD Terrain Tilemap editor/viewer

Gerwin,

Thanks for your continued improvements on this tool.

A question: is it possible to have the tool count beyond 999 targetareas? I am wokring on a 3000x3000 Km area and I just crossed 1000 targetareas.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kindest regards - Krfrge

Suppose yes,

My only reluctance is that the program grabs more and more memory at startup, wheter it is used or not.

Maybe I will just compile a separate version with double the memory allocation compared to the current version.

Edited by gerwin

Gerwin,

Thank you for your consideration. As you said it grabs a lot of memory so it might be best to leave it "as is".

Not that I am anyone but I dont think there are lots of folks out there building over 1000+ target areas.

Krfrge

Where can I download the last version of this editor?

Hi CA!

I experienced with spanish terrain (from Operation Pelayo MOD) some missing textures ("black fields" and "black buildings"). So I guess some textures are missing, but I don't know which ones. When I load the terrain files, I have that messages:

577306Capture1.jpg

712083Capture2.jpg

Is there a simply way to have the list of missing textures? I mean, another way that checking if all the textures called in the data.ini, such as this one:

[Texture022]
     Filename=germanyRJ25a.BMP
     HasWater=0
     Color=0.413886,0.403496,0.259276
     SolidObjectTexture=
     AlphaObjectTexture=terobject_trees1.TGA

are contained in the terrain folder (that method is quiet long...)?

Thanks in advance!

that message happens ALL the time, even when the textures are present.

the only way to see if a texture is present, is go through the terrain folder, and physically confirm it's existence. If one has the texture list ini for that terrain, you can scroll through that as well, to find out where in the data ini it's listed

Another, easier way, is use the 3W terrain editor -- you'll have pink squares for missing tiles, that you can "click on" to get it's name.

Another, easier way, is use the 3W terrain editor -- you'll have pink squares for missing tiles, that you can "click on" to get it's name.

Is it this one ?

http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_tools.htm

--> Terrain Editor v04.21.06 (479 KB)

I was thinking it works only for SF1 terrains. When I try to open a file (espana.hfd for instance), the screen stay white, and I can't do nothing...

you haven't prepped the TE properly ..... you'll need to have all the tiles in bmp (convert the tgas) format, and placed within the TE's main folder. You'll need to build the texturelist ini by hand, using the data ini as the start point. You'll need the "espana" terrain folder as a sub-folder, stripped of all but the terrain's inis (mani ini, data,) , and the TFD and HFD. As I said before, the tile go "up on level" into the main TE folder

I'd suggest reading Gepard's tutorial's in the 1stGen Knowledge base. What YOU are doing, is basically building a TE install that is JUST for the Spain terrain.

I would also contact the "builder" of that terrain, and register your complaint. 

ALL SF TERRAINS ARE THE SAME-- they are all TFD/HFD based. The only exception is the IcelandNA terrain, with is LOD based.

There are 2 3w terrain editors -- one for the "Desert" and the other for WoE,WoV,WoI -- the later is marginally better, as it has a better zoom function on the the TOD building screen.

Terrain creation/editing is NOT for the faint of heart or unskilled -- it is the biggest, nastiest beast in the 3rd Wire world. If you screw something up, and don't have a backup -- it won't create it's own -- you can find yourself up the creek without a boat, let alone a paddle. Be VERY certain of what you're trying to accomplish.

ok...after taking time to d/l the thing and examine the terrain...taking time from what I want to be doing (suffering from a bad cold...)

open the Espana_data.ini, "search" for GermanyR-CG, and change the extension (tga) to bmp. That will fix your issue. YOu may also want to change the HasWater=1 to HasWater=0, as it ain't got none.

Wrench, thanks a lot. I try to make myself some modification to solve simple problems. But it is true that the few I have seen regarding terrain creation and editing has shown me as it could be a hard job!

Your help is as usual very appreciated!

If i could make one small request it would be refined terrain flattening controls... in order to place airfields and such with out having to use the TW terrain editor.   

• Like 1

If i could make one small request it would be refined terrain flattening controls... in order to place airfields and such with out having to use the TW terrain editor.   

hmm, any suggestion on how that would be most refined?

As it is now, in height map mode, TFDtool gives complete control of the height of every node in the terrain. I used it myself properly flatten bugged airfields in the VietnamSEA terrain. But it was a bit tedious to decide the height of each node seperately.

What may help is a soft flatten tool, one that makes a flat plateau that blends a bit more gradually with the surrounding heights.

• Like 2

As it is now, in height map mode, TFDtool gives complete control of the height of every node in the terrain. I used it myself properly flatten bugged airfields in the VietnamSEA terrain.

Indeed, thanks to your tool, gerwin, I was able to flatten various airbases in the North Cape terrain, for one of eburger's expansions. It would be nice to implement some functions of TW's TE into your tool, such as "Smooth Height Field" and "Adjust Sea Level", but I'm already happy with the current version of TFDtool

hmm, any suggestion on how that would be most refined?

As it is now, in height map mode, TFDtool gives complete control of the height of every node in the terrain. I used it myself properly flatten bugged airfields in the VietnamSEA terrain. But it was a bit tedious to decide the height of each node seperately.

What may help is a soft flatten tool, one that makes a flat plateau that blends a bit more gradually with the surrounding heights.

Thank you, it is time I try this functionnality 

Edited by jeanba

Hi

Anyone knows how is the autodetect height increment calculated? I'm trying to level some airfields and only can adjust height by "autedetect" increments or "10" increments..... any ideas?

So if current height is 323 and I want 320 but autodetect increment is 6 how do i set 320 or 321????

Thanks

Edited by 3-A-305

Hi

Anyone knows how is the autodetect height increment calculated? I'm trying to level some airfields and only can adjust height by "autedetect" increments or "10" increments..... any ideas?

So if current height is 323 and I want 320 but autodetect increment is 6 how do i set 320 or 321????

Thanks

For terrain flatening I strongly recommend you to use TK's terrain editor. 

• Like 1

yup, terrain editor only.

anything else with screw things up

Hi

Thanks

I just uploaded a new version of TFDtool, with this line in TFDtool.ini.

heightmap_increase=10

If you change it to heightmap_increase=1, it will do what you want. :)

• Like 4

Gerwin,

Many thanks for this adjustment.

Kindest regards - Krfrge

Gerwin, what can I say.....

THANKS A LOT!!!!

This tool is great!! And keeps getting better...

Again, THANKS!!!!!

Gerwin in this tool is there a way to change how a tile slopes? say its 320 to 345 is there a way to reverse those and make it 345 to 320?

Glad I could help, that change was hardly an effort. But now there is version 0.97; This one reads the TOD files for buildings and trees and displays them in yellow and green. Many thanks to Mue for posting the Tod-File format! The TFDtool.ini file has an option to disable this particular feature.

post-32175-0-37806400-1463883346.png

Gerwin in this tool is there a way to change how a tile slopes? say its 320 to 345 is there a way to reverse those and make it 345 to 320?

Reverse what exactly, please elaborate? You can manually change every heightmap-value to get what you want, but that is kinda tidious. You can rotate the heightmap values in a selection square with the R key. Or are you talking about 'mirroring' or 'inverting' an area?

• Like 5

ya that kinda answered my question thanks gerwin!  I didnt realize I could rotate a heightmap value