gerwin

Alternate TFD Terrain Tilemap editor/viewer

5 hours ago, Menrva said:

Yeah, that's the quick mock-up I made at your request via Stratos. I still have that terrain, but it needs so much work and I have little time for modding recently. Maybe in the future I'll get my hands back on it.

Could you send me the texture list that you used, also the original files ? I could try to finnish it,  i have the target.ini  ready . Thanks

8 hours ago, angelp said:

Could you send me the texture list that you used, also the original files ? I could try to finnish it,  i have the target.ini  ready . Thanks

I no longer have it and I don't see why you need it. Rivers and roads need to be manually added with TFDtool, the texture list is only needed for a quick auto texturing at the beginning of terrain making. Unless you want to make all the tiling from scratch, which is extremely time consuming and not worth the effort.

If you have an updated targets.ini, I can look forward to improve the texturing, target locations and the heightmap. Terrain making is my specialty. Just send me a PM with it and I'll see how much work is effectively needed.

Edited by Menrva

98.6% of all terrain work is done manually. On this, you may take as gospel

7 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Well said, man. Unfortunately, it is extremely time consuming to make some quality work. At least, thanks to gerwin's TFDtool and mue's TargetAreaEditor, we can work on all aspects of a terrain. This is simply not possible with TW's TerrainEditor.

7 hours ago, Wrench said:

jajaja Well I will give it a try, I need a map for those UH-60s and Spiek NLOS Wish me luck and I will say my prayers :drinks:

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 2:22 PM, EricJ said:

angelp I think you should release that stuff as its cool work. 

But as far as the big map that Mav_erick is doing is pretty big and probably take a long time though, depending on how it works out for such a large area.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:22 PM, EricJ said:

angelp I think you should release that stuff as its cool work. 

But as far as the big map that Mav_erick is doing is pretty big and probably take a long time though, depending on how it works out for such a large area

actually i dont want all that terrain just the east part  covering Venezuela Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic  but i dont know how to cut that section of the DEM  on the terrain Editor and eventually make another one complete. I haven't any experience with terrain editor and need help with the procedures whit the programs to do so !

2 minutes ago, Mav_ericK said:

actually i dont want all that terrain just the east part  covering Venezuela Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic  but i dont know how to cut that section of the DEM  on the terrain Editor and eventually make another one complete. I haven't any experience with terrain editor and need help with the procedures whit the programs to do so !

Oh okay. I was just saying, though it honestly would have been cool to fly all that area but given what you're looking for that's cool too.

Well as said it's a matter of conjecture right now to think of doing it and finding out otherwise. I'll keep an ear out or a lookout and make a final decision to contact people to see if they will do it.

hello everyone, question for gerwin, is there any possibility of expanding more than 2024 tiles?
I keep the new real photo map of the Falklands half finished.
Sorry my bad english

20 hours ago, torno said:

hello everyone, question for gerwin, is there any possibility of expanding more than 2024 tiles?
I keep the new real photo map of the Falklands half finished.
Sorry my bad english

More then the current 1024 you mean? I suppose one could try. When you download the TFDtool again, it includes a special version where I set texture limit to 1600 instead. I have not stress-tested this new amount though, you will have to test it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hello Gerwin, download the version you have on your site but it still supports a maximum of 1024

1 hour ago, torno said:

hello Gerwin, download the version you have on your site but it still supports a maximum of 1024

Are you using "TFDtool_1600-Textures.exe" ?

I just did a quick test with that one: I succesfully loaded 1099 textures. So no 1024 limit there.

Thank you very much for the help, I will be solving how to distribute the 576 additional tiles to finish the map.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, torno said:

Thank you very much for the help, I will be solving how to distribute the 576 additional tiles to finish the map.

When 1600 is not a comfortable limit either, what would be required for your project? 2048? more? 

The entire surface of the islands would be photorealistic, 1024 tiles took the island on the left, the island on the right has a much larger surface I suppose that more than 2000 tiles would cover the 2 surfaces.
The way to create photorealistic textures is to assemble the map in gigantic canvases like the one in the image, paint it to normalize the tones and remove the clouds. and then give them the clipping points or lines to assemble each tile. I have no real way of estimating how many tiles it will have at the end.
excuse my bad English .

img00283.thumb.JPG.5b5c7684dc06aee86a3f9a77e4b51b30.JPGimg00282.thumb.JPG.7cf067be109cab83672cceff077ac4de.JPG

• Like 3

I guess the only way to make sat based tiles is to take a huge satellite image and then divide it to tiles. However you need a quite huge sat image with an estimated size of some Gigabytes... Is the image editing software able to handle that huge image? Also you need to make an appropriate zoom to that huge image in order to make an appropriate map scale. I guess the tile size you use is 512x512.