Sign in to follow this  
Spectre_USA

Mercenarys get sabotaged?

So, as previously mentioned, I am just getting back into the world of SF2 after a few months off.

I have recently installed a merged copy with all the bells and whistles to allow a fresh start.

I only installed one after-market aircraft, the excellent A-16, so I could test out this new-

fangled add a jet to any campaign DLC dealio.

During the years since I originally acquainted myself with this title, I was only the beta test

team for SF:P1, I never fired up a mercenary flight for campaign duties.

This also changed, as I always dreamed of a mixed flight of jets in campaign, and this now

seemed the way to get it done.

I actually added a 2nd jet this afternoon, was allowed to buy the F-20 TigerShark, and flew

a mixed flight strike 2-shipper.

So satisfying.

But, after hitting the target, and letting the emergency defenders whittle down the defenders,

I took a look around externally. I hit F6 a second time to see my wingman, in the different

airframe, and grinned at the coolness factor.

The grin was short-lived, as was my wingman, as out of the blue, at about 2500 feet, he just

detonated in mid-air! :yikes:

I had taken to running solos on the last half-dozen missions, as I was losing too many wingies

to "crashes," and sure enough, that is what the debrief said about this guy.

No SAM, no MiG, just >POP!<

Is this a usual event for Mercenary squadrons? We have to inspect jets for IED's before we

hit the sky?

Fluke?

Has anyone else ever seen the like?

I've actually seen this, too. I was flying Mirage 2000s in my own campaign. Managed to down the F-16s that were my target, and Alt-N'ed to base. The debrief said my Wingie bought it. He was fine when I left the combat area, so I don't know what happened.

Could it be a hardpoint glitch? Ground Object sometimes have "misfires", making their weapons backfire on them. Its a glitch casued when the missile hits the object its launched from.

I've started a campaign mission before where there was a plane crashing on the runway in front of me. There was also the wreckage of another plane off the runway to my left, still smoking.

Both things happened to me! Though the random plane crash on runway seems to be more frequent... In a Dhimar vs., Paran camp i've been running, the MF F/A-18A+ keep detonating in mid air without reason... it's weird! But that must be some kind of plane specific bug I think, since it happened so often.

In this instance, he had nothing else to fire, nor was he near anything to fire on.

Just driving along, dutifully returning to formation when, >pop< goes the Falcon...

:blink:

I've noticed that since Oct '11 patch there's 2 random things that can happen. First is that the Over-G effect now completely destroys your plane even on Normal or easy Flight settings which it didn't do before (you/AI have to be really careful in an F/A-18E/F or EF2000 but I've blown up in a B52!). Secondly weapons seem to randomly (1/5th of the time) explode while still attached to the pylons.

My guess is that either one of those is causing your issues.

Edited by ianh755

Both things happened to me! Though the random plane crash on runway seems to be more frequent... In a Dhimar vs., Paran camp i've been running, the MF F/A-18A+ keep detonating in mid air without reason... it's weird! But that must be some kind of plane specific bug I think, since it happened so often.

This sounds to me like what happens when you forget to back off on the throttle during cruise.....if you stay in afterburn too long you will overheat and get a nasty surprise. :blowup:

`Burner sounds like a likely culprit.

They do tend to put the pedal to the metal when you ask them to rejoin.

Lost another one earlier, then went an entire flight without a loss, woo-hoo!

Might look into that AB thing a bit.