Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

My how time flys

:drinks: I was looking at the software disk for OFF and noticed the date 2008. My How the time goes by, I found myself remembering buying OFF brand new (P-3) AND JOINING THIS FORUM. Now its 2011 and we are hoping for P-4. before X mas :grin:

I remember when you joined this forum, so now I feel old :drinks:

But WM already said even Jan 2012 won't see P4 in our hands, so my advice is to ask for a new computer for Xmas so you'll be ready when it gets here :grin:

yes. time went by quickly. and since we are still more or less flying as enthusiasticly as in the beginning, it shows how good the product is. it's not just about eye candy, not about this and that. main thing in cultstatus games is the long lasting effect. that people are willing to spent money on upgrading their rigs mainly to fly this sim.

although the label 2008 is almost not correct because it was releast at the very end of 2008

My Word!...and I started on P1....jeez!

Ditto to that!

I joined the aircrew in October 2008, and after some forum-reading and chatting,

I asked if someone would send me a Phase 2 DVD copy. Of course there were

hardly any Germans then - but TYPHOON from Canada (I'll never forget that, man!)

was really generous: he sent it and payed the delivery (I made him a skin in return).

And now I'm flying OFF since more than 3 years, and still never survived even only

one whole year. Does that show, how bad I am, or how good they were?

Well, it definitely shows, how good OFF really is.

Cheers, OBD!

:drinks:

Edited by Olham

I have fond memories of Phase 1...it was little more than CFS3 with Biplanes (actually, thats not really fair to say)...it was much more than that!...but it was a revolution...and a Revalation to me!

(I have my Friend Dave to thank for it) :drinks:

Widow, I still remember the first post of yours I ever read.

It seemed that you had been away from the forum for a bit and now returned.

It was very "Lord Flashheart" style and began with "Woof, woof!", followed by

some ranting of yours. We wrote several answers like a ping pong game,

and I thought "Hey, that feller brings some fresh wind through the door!"

Widow, I still remember the first post of yours I ever read.

It seemed that you had been away from the forum for a bit and now returned.

It was very "Lord Flashheart" style and began with "Woof, woof!", followed by

some ranting of yours. We wrote several answers like a ping pong game,

and I thought "Hey, that feller brings some fresh wind through the door!"

Hahahaha... Why thank you Olham..you old Stalwart of the OFF Skies!.... I too remember it my Friend! :drinks:

Well I'm just a young pup compared to all of you but I do feel like I've been here for longer than 7 months. Like Creaghorn mentioned, I too upgraded both my CPU and GPU almost immediately as I knew OFF would be worth the investment. OFF has captured my imagination like no other PC game has (SIM or otherwise) and continues to challenge me and hold my interest when nothing else can. What makes it equally special is the wonderful community here and I raise my glass to all of you. :drinks:

I'm trying to remember when I even joined and sadly, had to check my profile to be sure. I wonder if Olham has any better memory of my appearance than I do. I started with OFF way back in 2006 when OvS directed me towards Phase 1 (was it 1 or 2?) at the time. I even mentioned it in a little blog postback way back when. Everything else is kind of a blur.

But WM already said even Jan 2012 won't see P4 in our hands, so my advice is to ask for a new computer for Xmas so you'll be ready when it gets here :grin:

lol u r funny. However, spenting all that time playing one game speaks well for OFF. My wife and Grandkids go thru one every 3 to 6 months.

m

Aaaaah yes, February 5th, 2009. T'was a snowy Thursday afternoon when the little disc arrived in the post and changed my WWI combat flight simming forever. I had been lurking about the old SOH forums since the first of that year, doing a bit of research before making the plunge with a new flying computer and the purchase of OFF. Good times...good times.

And speaking of the old SOH forums: Who among you remembers this little tribute we put together for the staff there when we left?

So_Long_And_Thanks_album.jpg

:grin:

Cheers, Shiloh - you are no rookie anymore, and have deserved your "Wings" by now. :drinks:

I'm trying to remember when I even joined and sadly, had to check my profile to be sure. I wonder if Olham has any better memory of my appearance than I do.

I started with OFF way back in 2006 when OvS directed me towards Phase 1 (was it 1 or 2?) at the time. I even mentioned it in a little blog postback way back when.

Everything else is kind of a blur.

2006?! Well, you must have been there even before me then, CaptSopwith - I joined October 2008 (in the old forum).

(Although - I have a faint memory of welcoming you to the old forum???)

It must be the effect of this time loop - four years of never ending war.

:grin:

Oh yes, of course do I remember that record, Lou, which much be a collectors item by now.

If there should ever be a second part, we must add the German march "Oh, Du schönes 'Over Flanders Fields'!"

(sung by the "Häschen-Chor" after the melody of "Oh du schöner Westerwald!").

I was jonesing for a good WWI flight sim. I can't remember all the names, but I'd bought one of every available WWI sim on the market. At that time my benchmark for a good looking flight sim was Microsoft's European Theatre. (CFS1?) None of the WWI sims came close. Everything was just too clunky looking. Hell to fly without a TrackIR. Spent just about all my time flicking the Hat Switch looking for the guy who had just stitched me up. Never flew anyone of them very long, but, still, I bought some of them twice. I'd get hazy on which I had, (or had not), bought and impulsively order another based on some new flashy artwork only to discover I'd been there. I had concluded that a really dramatic WWI sim with good looking planes was just not going to happen. It looked as though there was just not enough people out there who got excited about that era. All the hot new stuff seemed to be about jets. Then one morning I got an e-mail from OBD with terrific screenshots and a headline question asking: "If there was a WWI sim that looked like this, would you buy one?" I checked all the boxes that added up to: "Too bloody right, I would", sent it and forgot about it. Some time later, another e-mail arrived that said it was ready...and here we are.

I asked if someone would send me a Phase 2 DVD copy. Of course there were

hardly any Germans then - but TYPHOON from Canada (I'll never forget that, man!)

was really generous: he sent it and payed the delivery (I made him a skin in return).

:drinks:

And Typhoon wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't mailed him a DVD before that.......soooo.....you owe me a skin, ya' bastard. grin.gif

Cheers Mate,

Parky

Parky, that would be a great pleasure for me!

You are always very helpful with computer advice here, so yeah, a skin it will be.

Name the aircraft type and squadron, and your ideas for emblems, stripes or whatever;

desired colour etc. and I will do my best!

Tempus fugit!

I found OFF in late 2008 while searching new mods for RB3D. I thought nobody was going to make WW1 flight sims anymore, so it was a surprise when I discovered OFF P3. Actually P3 wasn't released yet, but I looked at the screenshots and was instantly hooked. I got the disc in late January 2009 (or was it early February?), installed OFF without any problems (a relief!) and flew a mission with my long-time favourite, the SPAD XIII. It was great! I didn't join the community until March 2009, when I lost my first good pilot, a Pup pilot in No. 54 Squadron to Archie. It was such a great experience that I just had to share it with the world. Olham was among the first to welcome me here.

Almost three years later, I'm still here, flying OFF and enjoying it and this community as much as ever. For me, this community is an integral part of my OFF experience. :drinks:

Great stories gents! :good:

I first found out about OFF when searching for some 'war-based' sims and stumbled upon Hellshade's YouTube channel and then I was intriqued. The reasonable price further picqued my interest and then when I tapped into the community April of this year the deal was sealed. I upgraded my rig, purchased TrackIR/JS and I was flying a few weeks later. I rarely if ever play anything but OFF as with my limited time, I want to enjoy my gaming experience and OFF always delivers.

It's nice to have played a few hundred hours over the past 7 months and to know I have barely 'scratched the surface'. :salute:

Edited by Shiloh

Parky, that would be a great pleasure for me!

You are always very helpful with computer advice here, so yeah, a skin it will be.

Name the aircraft type and squadron, and your ideas for emblems, stripes or whatever;

desired colour etc. and I will do my best!

That is awfully kind of you, old chap, but there's no need for you to go out of your way. Was just having a bit of fun with you mostly, but I'm very appreciative of the offer.

Once again, the generosity and kindness of the people on this forum never ceases to amaze....good.gif

Cheers,

Parky

Well, I like skinning, Parky, so the offer doesn't mean I'll suffer. Think about some design ideas, and I'll do it.

Olham makes great skins. And he's very generously making them for other people too. :drinks:

The Pfalz skins I got are great.

He's never skinned a Pfalz (I wish he would) :good:

I have, Widowmaker - for HW. Do you like the Pfalz?

I guess I could "release" them for public use, Hasse Wind?