Sign in to follow this  
citizen67

help with SF2 performance on my PC

Hi,My apologise if this isn't the right forum, but I need help about SF2 low performance on my pc.

I installed SF2 Europe, I updated the game to Oct2011, but when i play, especially using cockpit view (with "High" video settings) the game run with terrible frame rate. Dogfighting or strafing ground is nearly impossible.

It's due to my PC?

My specs are:

Intel Core Duo Quad CPU Q8220 @ 2.33GHz;

3.5 GB RAM;

Nvidia GE Force 9400GT, 1,4 GB VRAM;

Windows XP Home Edition SP3

DirectX 10

It seems matching the minimum system requirements, so I don't understand where is the problem.

Maybe I should run Wings over Europe, instead of SF2?

Thanks for support.

From what I understand, there seems to be problems with the latest's patches and frame rates. Secondly, minimum requirements means that your computer meets the minimum to run the game at minimum settings. I would look at upgrading you GPU in the long run.

Windows XP supports only DirectX 9... so no Dx10 shaders boots for you

also your video card is low-performance one, basically not suitable for gaming at all, sorry

I checked my computer on "can U run it?" and it seems to works well on many games... I ran IL2, Falcon BMS, even Wings of Prey, on my PC without problems.

Are you sure is due to my video card?

thanks anyway

As Stary said, it's mostly your systems's inability to run DX10 that's limiting you. SF2 is optimized for DX10, which means (ideally) Windows 7, and a DX10-capable video card (which your card supports, BTW).

Running SF2 with the latest patches outside of a DX10 environment will deny you two things:

1) Multithreading optimizations

2) DX10 shaders (which result in superior graphics, and place less of a load on system resources)

Edited by Fubar512

you can try to turn off mirrors and cockpit reflections in your options first, and check the performance, then try setting lower texture resolutions for objects and cockpits etc

edit:

my keyboard refuses to recognise "y" keypress

Edited by Stary

So, I have to use DX9 instead of DX10?

This will raise SF2 performance?

Or it's better to come back to WoE?

1) your system -Windows XP- does not support DirectX 10

2) no, using DirectX 10 would rise preformance due to SF2 series being specifically developed around Dx10

3) hard to tell, SF2 is the future...

your card supports Dx10, but our system does not -my advice would be to change OS to Vista or (preferably) W7 and see if there's performance boost for you -next thing would be new GPU

Edited by Stary

i did have some similar problems when i was still on WinXP but after i changed to win7 my problems where gone , so if you like to improve your game (and PC) spent some money and buy Win7 it is worth it :drinks:

by the way it is Christmas soon my be you have someone who can give you a nice present :grin:

I've had SF2 since Dec 2008 and the FPS went up sharply when I went from XP to Vista and improved again with W7.

Or he can use my HDR mod if $ is a problem in upgrading the OS. The mod will increase the FPS and put pre-dx10 eye candy in.

Falcon

Hello,

I have 2 PCs, the first is under XP and the other under W7.

SF2 under W7 is the "paradise"!

Under XP, the PC runs SF2 with shadows to "low" level and the others parameters to "high" or "Unlimited".

In my XP system, in the Options.ini in the SF2 Directory I've modify this parameter***:

//[GraphicsOptions]

DisplayDeviceID=0

DisplayWidth=1920

DisplayHeight=1080

DisplayDepth=32

AspectRatio=1.777778

AntiAliasing=4

ForceDX9=FALSE*** to TRUE

LensFlare=3

ForceVSyncOff=FALSE

DetailLevel=4

TerrainDetail=3