Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

OT: Steam Hacked....

Wow, They hack everything. I am kinda glad I didnt buy COD or total war. Good information thanks Von Paulus.

Thanks for this VP. I'm trying to change my password and Steam is asking me for a verification code that was sent to my email? I looked and couldn't find it so hopefully they will let me change it at some point. I hear Steam is notoriously bad with their customer service.

Edited by Shiloh

I looked and couldn't find it so hopefully they will let me change it at some point. I hear Steam is notoriously bad with their customer service.

I know they were hammered by people who wanted to change their passwords. However, check your spam mail folder, just in case.

I know they were hammered by people who wanted to change their passwords. However, check your spam mail folder, just in case.

I did VP but there is definitely not an email from them in the last few months.

Bring Back the DVD!!!!.....Steam does not prevent Piracy...DRM does not prevent Piracy...NOTHING prevents piracy

Changed my Sream password yesterday, just when Steam announced the news, they sent me an email right away!

Bring Back the DVD!!!!.....Steam does not prevent Piracy...DRM does not prevent Piracy...NOTHING prevents piracy

Now now, not so - Royal Navy Frigates prevent piracy.

Just a shame no one went with my idea of supplying a Royal Navy Frigate with every game disk...

Think of the jobs it would create in the Shipyards!

Arrrr...M'lad!...you think those pesky Naval swabs will stop us pillagin'?....I'll have ya walking the plank at Cutlass point fo ya scurvy talk!

post-22245-0-09637300-1321008209.jpg

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I hope no users get hurt by this, but I hope Steam takes it in the shorts. I hate Steam, both personally and professionally.

I guess nothing is safe from these criminals. It seems that they can crack any protection and steal whatever they want, and there's nothing we can do about it. I've used my credit card in so many Internet stores that some hacker is bound the get the information sooner or later. You'd think that corporations like Valve and Sony had more than enough money for the best possible security measures, but I guess they either don't care or there really is no way to be safe from these attacks.

I guess nothing is safe from these criminals. It seems that they can crack any protection and steal whatever they want, and there's nothing we can do about it. I've used my credit card in so many Internet stores that some hacker is bound the get the information sooner or later. You'd think that corporations like Valve and Sony had more than enough money for the best possible security measures, but I guess they either don't care or there really is no way to be safe from these attacks.

I agree. I have a suggestion for on line buying. U can take a second Debit card out putting in only the cash for whatever u buy on line. ( Important: Do not link to ur normal accounts. make it a stand alone card) just transfer amounts as needed and as u use the card. Sooner or later it will get hacked but they cant get much.

Yeah, I guess it would be safer to have such a pre-paid card.

This has been a pretty bad year for online stores. They really need to get their act together, because more and more services are being made available in the web, and criminals will take advantage of it.

Hell, if they can hack into the US Defence Dept.....what chance Steam and Sony?

Bullethead-Why do you dislike STEAM? Just curious. I use them, and have had no problems, but this latest incident has me concerned.

I hope no users get hurt by this, but I hope Steam takes it in the shorts. I hate Steam, both personally and professionally.

I have no issues with Steam but in this case I need to change my password for my protection and they have not sent me a verification code so I can complete that process.

I have to say..I was very anti-steam...but sadly, my favourite games are Steam only (Total War)

I wouldnt use them otherwise...and it's for this very reason...insecure!

(plus, they totally ruined my favourite online Mod...Day of Defeat)...bastards

Fortunately OFF doesn't require anything like Steam! And it comes without any kind of silly DRM system. I'm very grateful to the devs for that. :drinks:

Shiloh, you should contact Steam customer support, if you haven't done so already.

Bullethead-Why do you dislike STEAM? Just curious. I use them, and have had no problems, but this latest incident has me concerned.
<br><br><font face="Courier New">Oh, the basic idea is great. However, Steam's support completely blows, which is why I don't like them personally.<br><br>On the professional side, my company has recently made a competing product to Steam, so Steam is the enemy.</font> Edited by Bullethead

On the professional side, my company has recently made a competing product to Steam, so Steam is the enemy.

You mean StormPowered.

Are things running well?

Thanks for the reply. Also, a belated (by one day) Happy USMC Birthday to you and NS13Jarhead

<br><br><font face="Courier New">Oh, the basic idea is great. However, Steam's support completely blows, which is why I don't like them personally.<br><br>On the professional side, my company has recently made a competing product to Steam, so Steam is the enemy.</font>

You mean StormPowered.

Are things running well?

Yup, SP works great. It's just that Steam has no intention of giving up its monopoly, so there's a war on about that.

Back to the personal side, here I am trying to install Skyrim from DVD and as usual, stupid Steam is fighting that tooth and nail, trying to force me to download the whole damn thing anyway. And the usual tricks to get it to accept a DVD installation ain't working. Geez, I hate Steam.

I remember when HL and related mods moved from WON to Steam and having my computer turn to molasses trying to run it. I don't have that problem these days, but it just seems way more resource intensive than it needs to be. I don't need a ton of ads for games while trying to play the ones I already paid for. The update tool can be helpful but often behaves strangely. Steam friends is a nice service but the alerts get old and they can lag games. I think the bottom line is that it's a concept that can work, but it's way too bloated.

and they STILL havent replied to my account question...24 hrs later!