Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Found a white feather from WW1 with the letter...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/uk-britain-cowardice-feather-idUKTRE7AA4DU20111111

A White Feather has been found along with the original letter it was attached to in Wolverhampton. These where sent out to Men not in Uniform and implied cowardice on behalf of the man it was sent to, in WW1 and previous as well. The man sent this was over 40 at the time and exempt from service due to his job...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Society's subtle ways of telling you, what they think of you.

I liked what someone had only recently written here about two young men, who got pestered by Londoner ladies about cowardice.

The one guy answered: "Sorry, but my parents have warned me not to speak to strange people in the street!"

Peer pressure at it´s best! When a man has no personal opinion but has to conform to the group. Like a herd of cows.

I've read that some British soldiers on home leave and not wearing their uniform also got feathers, because some fanatic thought they were avoiding service. I can only imagine how that would feel.

In Continental Europe, practically every country had compulsory military service for all men, so there was less need for such actions.

It's like the thicko's who attacked a Paediatrician at his home here in the UK a few years ago, because they can't spell...and thought he was a Paedophile!....w*nkers

It a sad fact of life that the simplest minds will attack the most obvious and easiest targets of opportunity. It's a further sad fact of life that such targets are seldom deserving of those simple-minded attacks