Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

The safe use of guns

My 13 yr old Son, has always been interested in firearms (he has a large collection of disarmed replica's)

As you know...Guns are a big no-no here in the UK...but his interest is keen!....So, I think I have found the perfect solution (albeit, expensive)

I wanted him to learn, to use a gun responsibly....to be properly trained, disciplined and sensible around them..As I don't want guns to become a 'forbidden fruit' later in life.

He wants to work in Agriculture and Farming when he's an adult, where he will no doubt come into contact with Shotguns at least.

Some parents I have spoken to, are dead against guns per se...they refuse to buy even toy guns for their boys....this is a little dangerous if you ask me..as it gives guns an undeserved appeal....the younger children even make guns out of lego bricks!...I think it is just part of a child's (boys especially) growing up.

I hope I am doing the right thing! :this:

post-22245-0-25925500-1321960163.jpg

Just a thought, he's old enough to be introduced to the cadet forces. Might be worth looking into :cool:

Craig

+1 on that idea as I know they use .22 calibre SA80's if I remember they also teach them how to clean weapons and have also a great respect for them will also give him experience working outdoors and is great for team building. Good luck whichever path you choose though as I think the UK rules on firearms are crazy as anyone who wants one can get one easy enough.

Cadet Forces is a good choice if they are anything like the Swedish ones.

I am a hunter education instructor in Va. I teach everything from ethics, management, trapping, shotgun,rifle, and even pistol safety. learning a shotgun is a good start, just remember to teach him from the ground up. Not only how to shot, but how the firearm works,how to clean it, and how to care for it. Also remember to teach firearm safety, what's beyond your target, how to get your mind right before shooting.

Best of luck, and be proud of the fact you are trying to help. I teach kids from 8 years old, up to their 50s.

I hope I am doing the right thing! :this:

Looks like you are. :good:

Its too bad that handguns are out of the question for you because going to a nice indoor range is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. My dad and I had been going pretty regularly...maybe this holiday weekend would be a good opportunity to start again...

All m y kids have used guns and know the safe operation of them. Even my 7 years twin girls know what to do. If you show them safe, they will be safe. It too bad England is so anti gun. Good on you UK, thats the way you teach them. :salute:

It's just part of the nanny state, the Liberals in the Labour government have brought about sadly

I got my first gun when I was 12. My Dad got us a 410. We lived in the country so we did a lot of bird hunting(Quail and pheasant). We had to learn to be pretty good shots to down a pheasant with a 410. We got our own 12 gauge when we were 16.

My Dad didn't like 22's. He said the bullet would go a mile and we often didn't look that far away.

Yamamoto told the Jap generals before WW2 that almost every American would have a gun if they wanted to invade the US. You notice that they didn't.

What you are doing is terrific IMHO. Every kid should be taught the right way to handle firearms. (It might deter a lot of drive-bys.)

Yamamoto told the Jap generals before WW2 that almost every American would have a gun if they wanted to invade the US. You notice that they didn't.

In 1945, the experts told the US generals that almost every Jap would have a bamboo pike if they wanted to invade the Home Islands. You notice that they didn't. :grin:

So, a very impressive weapon, the bamboo pike. I think I will practise it. In my list just after the crossbow and the halberd...

Although i´m not familiar with the UK firearms laws, in Germany guns are a big NO-NO also. It´s pretty hard to get a legal weapon and carrying the gun in public is impossible. But even with such restrictions i had guns for eight years, mostly every day with me. Four years german Army and after that i worked, also for 4 years, as security officer at a local US-Installation.

These years brought one point out for me. Guns are the most harmless things on earth. A gun will never decide to kill or hurt someone. You can dance in front of it or make grimaces, it won´t mind at all.

The thing you have to worry about is the person holding the gun. If you bring your sons attention to a safe and responsibly way in handling guns, it´s the best you can do! :good: