Sign in to follow this  
Icarus999

Single tile repacement for Stary's formosa Repaint

I want to replace the tiles under a specific target area with tiles I have repainted and renamed - I must retain Stary's original tiles as well because they are used in may other places throughout the terrain. Is there a simple method that allows one go about replacing single tiles in a terrain with repainted ones?

Thank you in advance for advising me on this.

I want to replace the tiles under a specific target area with tiles I have repainted and renamed - I must retain Stary's original tiles as well because they are used in may other places throughout the terrain. Is there a simple method that allows one go about replacing single tiles in a terrain with repainted ones?

Thank you in advance for advising me on this.

I cannot think of any simple way to do this, perhaps someone else can.

But, here is what I would try. It is easy for me, but I can see how this would not be the case for someone you hasn't done this a few times already.

Since they are Stary tiles, I will assume (just for example), they are for GERMANYCE.

If so, find the texture list for GERMANYCE, and add your new (re-named) textures to the end of this list. I also assume you have land (no sea) tiles.

You will need the terrain editor, and you will have to "open" the edited texture list, and then open the terrain HFD. If you setup the terrain editor properly, the terrain (GermanyCE) TFD file should be present in the folder where the terrain editing is occuring, along with the HFD file and bmp files for all terrain files, including your new ones.

Once, the terrain HFD is opened, the terrain editor will map all the tiles into the diplay showing you a "tile" map of the terrain.

Then, using the editor go to the places you want to change (to substitue your new tiles), and "paint" them over Stary's tiles, at your chosen locations.

Once this is done, save the HFD, which will also save the TFD (the texture map). Then perform a "save all", which will produce a new GermanyCE_data.ini file.

Make a backup copy of your Terrains\GermanyCE folder.

Make copies of the edited TFD, new DATA file for GermanyCE, and your new terrain tiles, and paste them into the terrain folder for GermanyCE.

Launch the game, and flyover your edited locations and you should see your new tiles.

Hopefully someone has a better idea than this one.

Edited by Stwa

There is no simple way...

you'll probably still have use the terrain editor (I haven't tested Germwin's neat little tool, as for me swappingout/adding/creating new tiles is not that difficult).. It not just a simple matter of adding a single tile ... every tile requires 3 transition tiles to fit the area surrounding it; for example, we'll use the GermanyC1.bmp (a central city tile)

Surrounding that, assuming the cityscape gives way to farmlands...you have what the Germany tileset calls 'G' series (think of that as 'grasslands', even though it looks more like farmland to me...)

where the numbered section represents the percentage of the tile covered, in this case, with 'city'

GermanyGC25a

GermanyGC25b

GermanyGC50a

GermanyGC50b

GermanyGC75a

GermanyGC75b

so, at the very minium, you need 4 tiles ... the actual one used in the center, and the surrounding 3 transitions (25,50,75).

You need to add the 4 new tiles to the texturlist.ini; again not that diffcult. After placing -- and making sure they're aligned correctly (that's one of the hard parts), saving the work will generate the new TFD, and add the new tiles at the bottom of the terrain's _Data.ini. Transfering that listing is a simple copy/paste into the existing Formosa_Data.ini. Make sure the new tiles are IN the Formosa terrain folder; copy/paste the new TFD into the terrains -BACKUP the ORIGINAL by renaming, I use a number (1-Formosa.TFD, 2-Formosa.TFD, etc)

Use the targetstest.msn (in the 1stGen KB) to get yourself over the retiled zone, and see what it looks like. Sometimes adjustments to the edging where the trasitions meet may be necessary (ie: repainting)

If nothing has been changed in height field dispay, like airfield flattening or adjusting sea level, you won't need the newly generated HFD.

BTW, I'm in a slow process of reworkign the entire Formoas_targets & Types.inis, as there's some major issues with where and how target areas have been placed. Unfortunatly it probably won't be finished before sometime late 1st Quater of next year, and several other terrains have been in pipeline for some time.

I'll upload here my texturelist with both Gepard's extended GermanyCE tilelist and my added to Gepard's for my Formosa visual update, but you'll have to wait a bit cause I just came to office :tongue:

here's my texturelist with both Gepard's and mine tiles added used to manually retile some areas of Taiwan map:

TextureList Taiwan.zip