Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Widowmaker, your Sopwith Snipe is getting tested!

Now - what do you say, Widow, old chap?

Nice one Olham!...thanks for that!

(listen to that lovely engine)

Yes, even as an Albatros flyer from the other side of the trenches I must admit that she looks and sounds great!

I guess, I'll take her up too, when she's ready.

:drinks:

To be honest, I don't think the Snipe looks particularly good. The tail section is ugly. But it doesn't matter, because it was an excellent fighter. :cool:

She looks good as a pitbull looks good - dangerous! :grin:

there were two versions however chaps...One with the ugly tail..and one with a tail similar to a Camel....this is the other version

post-22245-0-70254500-1322555556.png

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

To me the double bump on the tail has a very Art Deco signature to it.

It's hardly surprising, given that aircraft were at the forefront of modernity just before the 1920's.

I'm not saying I like the double bump, but I do like lots of the 1920's style for design.

:dntknw: Why did they come in two tails ? I do have to admit that the airplane is growing on me. :blink: Art Deco is maybe my favorite style .:grin:

:dntknw: Why did they come in two tails ? I do have to admit that the airplane is growing on me. :blink: Art Deco is maybe my favorite style .:grin:

Good Question... I have no idea

Hi there,

Thanks for the snippet. Of course UK's biggeeeest problem will be surving ling enough to fly the Snipe, and she wasn't around very long.

Cheers,

Britisheh

I'm definitely not an expect when it comes to flight models, but the Snipe is going to be a challenge.

I believe the Snipe was very similar to the Camel in terms of performance, though easier to fly and less manouverable, but was much superior in delivering that performance at greater altitude, enable the Snipe to gain superiority over the DVII at altitudes the Camel couldn't contest.

Thing is, I believe it is a glitch in the CFS3 flight models that you cannot bless an aircraft with correct performance at altitude without making it an unrealistic super fighter at lower altitudes. This is the reason aircraft with superchargers, like the Dh Mosquito, have a fraction of their true performance at altitude. Apparently there is no way to model the 'double standard' effect of a supercharger kicking above a certain altitude to deliver a boost in power. If you want the supercharged perfomance at altitude, you cannot do it while maintaining an accurate unsupercharged performance at lower levels.

I may well be out of date on this, but this suggests we might see an artificially good Snipe at low level, or alternatively an inhibited Snipe at altitude. Of course, I don't know the first thing about flight models myself, but it'll be interesting to see how the Snipe and Camel compare...

I stress, I'm not trying to be awkward, but apart from a faster rate of climb, maybe we shouldn't expect to see too much of a difference between the Snipe and the Camel....

And I believe that undersized rudders were a common feature in Sopwith designs. The Snipes were meant to be rigged for war with the larger rudders for stability, but were rushed to the front unmodified because the Allies needed them quickly to contain and dominate the DVII's at altitudes where the Camel was ineffective. I know that's only half an answer, but I cannot find any reason why Sopwiths commonly had undersized rudders.

Edited by Flyby PC

The vision seems to have been far better in the Snipe, than it was in the Camel - which is an extremely important

point for a turn fighter. That alone may have made her far superiour.

The vision seems to have been far better in the Snipe, than it was in the Camel - which is an extremely important

point for a turn fighter. That alone may have made her far superiour.

Indeed Olham...and it's my main reason for liking her....The Snipe was the aircraft I always wanted to fly in RB3d given the choice...and having flown one in FSX....I can only wish the German Pilots good luck when we get her......they will need it :drinks:

"Itt has nossink to do vizz luck, Herr Widowmaker - nossink! Butt you may need plenty off it!

A burnink Snipe - zatt muszt look wunderbar!! Mmuahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!!

Indeed Olham...and it's my main reason for liking her....The Snipe was the aircraft I always wanted to fly in RB3d given the choice...and having flown one in FSX....I can only wish the German Pilots good luck when we get her......they will need it :drinks:

it won't happen i guess. the first day the german pilot won't start because of mantaining his aircrafts engine, the second and third day is cancelled because of dull weather and after that time the servicetime of the snipe and the war is already over... :rofl:

it won't happen i guess. the first day the german pilot won't start because of mantaining his aircrafts engine, the second and third day is cancelled because of dull weather and after that time the servicetime of the snipe and the war is already over... :rofl:

In that case Herr Creaghorn...We shall have no alternative, but to offer you Hun Pilots to join us and celebrate Christmas in the Mess with Schnapps and a Good Port! :drinks:

In that case Herr Creaghorn...We shall have no alternative, but to offer you Hun Pilots to join us and celebrate Christmas in the Mess with Schnapps and a Good Port! :drinks:

sounds good. i will bring a good old selfmade croatian grappa :drinks:

sounds good. i will bring a good old selfmade croatian grappa :drinks:

Stirling Stuff!...HUSSAH! :drinks:

How can you say such a nasty thing, Creaghorn?

Of course I will take me the time to shoot down my friend Widowmaker!

He has waited so long for this now...

:grin:

How can you say such a nasty thing, Creaghorn?

Of course I will take me the time to shoot down my friend Widowmaker!

He has waited so long for this now...