Sign in to follow this  
CW3SF

Old Stick is OLD, need a new one --Any thoughts?

Life is good with HITR updated to 1.47 but now I am feeling that my old cheap logitech extreem 3D pro is just not up to what I need.

So my kids are asking what Dad needs to fly the wild blue with and this is where your advice is needed.

I have only space for a twist type stick on my desk top. The current stick is all I need in most ways , but it should be of higher quality.

Cost is of no concern ( the kids are paying ).

I fly mostly OFF but do also enjoy some of the other Flight sims. Never do FPS games.

Thanks for your input.

CW3SF

My joystick is as well great for OFF, as it is cheap: I use the THRUSTMASTER T.FLIGHT STICK X -

it is a twist stick which you should get for ca. 30,- Dollar. Lots of buttons.

It is perfect, when you want a twist stick (when you don't have pedals).

Edited by Olham

Force feedback is probably a good feature to go for - especially if OFF gives you stall buffet feedback, as there seems to be very little indication your plane is about to depart, untill it does, usually at a highly inconvenient moment. I even tried replacing the stock CFS3/OFF stall sound with a louder one and still heard nothing (tho it might be the stall behaviour of some planes that's the problem, come to think of it, several have a habit of just sinking tail first). Even if just for the sensation of guns firing, wheels rumbling on the grass etc, force feedback sounds like a good move to me. Has anyone got it, and can report how it works in OFF?

Thrustmaster, for sure! Olham put me onto it a while ago. Second best, but only by a little...the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro. There's plenty on e-Bay.

:drinks: If U have room, a Thrustmaster with throttle control is a Nifty little stick. combo :clapping:

I would love one that has FF as I am having a hard time with Stalls with out warning, that you get in a real airplane.

Any Ideas on a FF Stick?

tried both FF sticks and non-FF sticks and frankly it never really made much difference........but for my $ Thrustmaster has the best durability and feel of all of them. Other's look techy like Saitek but they fell apart in no time and the T-masters last and last. Best value bar none...and I don't even work for 'em............how's that!

Logitec G940 flight control system. It's not cheap or compact, but if money is no object niether is size (with some ingenuity).

My solution to the size problem was:

post-47353-0-16968400-1322531390.jpg

When not in use the pedals can be flipped forward opening up the floor. The platfoms for the stick and the throttle take less than a minute to attach or detach and are as sturdy as you could need. The build only took a few hours and cost literally a couple of dollars. There's a run-down of how I did it about halfway down here.

I used a twisty-stick for years, listening to and not entirely believing people say how much more response and precision pedals give you. They were right! The first thing I did after I got mine was to do a full 360* flat turn in a Dr1...a snap. And a throttle lever does the same thing for engine control. I only hope that when P4 comes out it supports individual engine control in the multi-engine planes. The stick has force feedback and it works great...I almost never stall. And I'm usually already recovering from a near-stall when the warning comes on-screen.

One disclaimer I should include about the picture. The cup-holder and cat are extra.

Edited by von Baur

I must admit I use the Logitech X52 and really like it, but has problems mapping for some flight sims. the throttle gets mapped to the slider on the throttle and is hard to unbind sometimes.

As far as durability goes I am not sure. Had it for two years but I only use it a few hours a week. At this time I do not even have any flight sims installed at all, so I can not say how long it would last if used a lot.

I also have one of those Thrustmasters and it is good, but I do not like the buttons on it for some reason. But it is a good stick.

Regards MarkL

CW3SF, you probably won't want my opinion because I would buy another Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I have tried numeorus sticks over the years and still find this one the best for WWI flying. Like Gaw, I did not notice a lot of difference between FF and non-FF sticks, but Uncleal has always recommended going with FF.

Von Baur, you're a man after my own heart, although your throttle quadrant is a bit more hi-tech than mine. :grin:

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_1.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Love the cat under the desk........must supply a shot of my Labs wedging themselves under my own desk while OFF'ing.....an attention ploy that always works as they keep nudging my stick hand.........invariably leading to erratic flight followed by a crash....followed by a walk in the woods...which is where they wanted to be in the first place. Who's the smarter operator here....clearly not me!

CH joysticks never get old. More expensive, but I've been using the same Flightstick, Pro Throttle, and Rudder Pedals for 10 years and they still work like brand new. HOTAS is overkill for BHaH, but it's nice to never have to use the keyboard.

Hi there CW3SF,

I had a bit of a problem with tendonitis so I went away from the FF stick. I use the Saitek X 52 system, throttle and JS combo. There are lots of buttons as I like to have access to everything without the need for a keyboard. This system does that.

Cheers,

Britisheh

Hi there CW3SF,

I use the Saitek X 52 system, throttle and JS combo. There are lots of buttons as I like to have access to everything without the need for a keyboard. This system does that.

Britisheh

A second big "thumbs up" for the Saitek X-52 though I have the Pro model. I bought it just for OFF and couldn't be happier.

It looks like the Saitek X52 is the leader of the pack so far.

Like I said cost is not a huge issue. Just looking for a "smooth feeling "stick that is well made.

Having never had a FF stick the Tendonitus comment caused me to think twice about a FF stick.

At my age (74) I have issues with a sore wrist after about an hour of flying.

Getting old is not for cowards.

I use a Thrustmaster T1600 JS. I got it because there's not many sticks about that are suitable for a south paw like myself. It turned out to be a very good stick. Comfortable, the right amount of buttons all easily reached.