Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Back up your SF2 installers

The release of SF2NA seems to be looming in the near future. Once it's out, it's possible, or likely, that there will be patches (in addition to what we've seen already) to the other titles to make them compatible. This, of course, means that the installers available for download from the TW site will be brought up to the new patch standard.

Every new patch brings new features, some good and some not so good. Who knows what changes might be in store? I don't, that's for sure. But there's a chance that future changes might totally pork some of our favorite mods that work at the current patch level. For example, if SF2NA and it's patches update the terrain engine, who know's how it will do to all of Stary's tree mods... Maybe updates to the campaign engine to handle some aspects of naval warfare will render your favorite 3rd party campaign un-playable. eburger68 and I try out best to keep the SF2V A&GXP compatible with whatever the latest patch is, but it may get to a point where it's not feasible anymore... NF4+, ODS, KAW, Suez may end up in the same situation (pure speculation on my part, btw).

I back up my installers the minute I buy them. That means I can always revert back to 2008/2009 patch levels with a fresh install and then patch up to whatever level I liked best. I know lot of others here do the same thing. But some may not. There could be some point in the near future where we'll all be wishing we were back at the "good ol' Nov 2011 patch when 'this' and 'that' still worked." Yeah, that sounds crazy, but it could happen.

So, if you've backed up your installers, good for you! If you haven't, now's a good time to grab them from the TW site and put them on a CD/DVD for safe keeping in case the SF2 appocolypse hits!

Edited by malibu43

i have my games core folder RARed (SF2,V,E,I, Nov Patch) all rared up, so if i need a fresh install i just unzip to a new location..

too bad i dont remember how to have custom mod folders for each install.

Guest Pfunk

Best advice ever.

I fly almost 100% stock because of testing and review reasons for the products themselves, but this is even good advice for me.

Oooh, the panic. Everyone's getting excited, waving goodbye to the good ol' SF2.

MODS make it sticky

I have all the digital download games backed up at the level these were at the release, no worrier here!

I'm not saying goodbye to SF2. Thanks to some of the mods like ODS I've still not totally said goodbye to SFP1! Ditto FE Gold, I have tons of planes in there I've just not had the time to convert to FE2.

Make no mistake. I'm in no way saying SF2 is dead or that I refuse to buy any new SF2 titles/content or patch up to new patch levels. My main, merged install will continue to be patched up and merged with anythign new I buy.

I'm just saying, you never know when you might want older patch levels - either to for mods that can't be brought up to new patch standards, or for testing purposes.

:good:

I'm just saying, you never know when you might want older patch levels - either to for mods that can't be brought up to new patch standards, or for testing purposes.

True. I was that soldier...

In fact, my NF4+ install is still at June 2010 patch or something.

Since I switched over to SF2, I have managed to only have one install with everything merged and patched up to whatever the current level is. I then create separate .exe's from that install for my different mods.

I have just gotten tired of updating my SF2V AGXP install every month for new patches when the patches aren't adding anything that relates to the that mod. I think I am finally going to do a separate SF2V install and only patch up to Feb 2010 so the trees and clouds all work they way they should.

If only I could do that :/

I just recently acquired Exp 2 and I'm stuck at Oct 11 in a merged install, not willing to give up those beautiful lightnings :no: