Sign in to follow this  
ZeroFilth

Gripens in Swiss Air Force

So, i just saw news on a brazilian blog that the Swiss Air Force is buying 22 Gripens.

Considering the blog itself is pretty solid, i wouldn't say it's not true.

The other planes they considered buying were the Eurofighter and the Rafale.

I guess it was a great choice, out of the 3, the Gripen really is the most cost-effective, that's my opinion anyways.

So what you guys think?

I know that the Swiss have previously operated the Hunter and "Mirage" III, but abandon the twin-engine "Hornet" for the Gripen, isn't an additional risk to the pilots of this mountainous country ?

Or maybe the Saab aircraft isn't a F-18 replacement for long-term but a sort of "complement" ?

i could translate, but i'm too lazy lol.giflol.gif

BTW, maybe our airforce buy the Grippen too, to replace our old and upgraded Tiger..(amen!)

Its a nice and capable bird. Not so expensive to operate than the other planes of its generation. A good choice.

To be honest, i would like to see the Gripen in the Bundesluftwaffe of Germany too. Fits much better to our contry than the overestimated and not fully operational Eurofighter.

BTW, maybe our airforce buy the Grippen too, to replace our old and upgraded Tiger..(amen!)

you think? i'm skeptical

The Gripens is a replacement for the F-5E Tigers that they operate

http://www.swissinfo...ml?cid=31673198

Here it is in English from Switzerland...

Thank you for sharing the link. But the article does not mention if the "Patrouille Suisse" will remain a time on their Tiger or switch to another platform, perhaps PC-9 or PC-21 ?

Well, if this means we're getting a Patrouille de Suisse with Gripens.........oi :yikes:

Anyway: congrats SAAB and Sweden, good job, well deserved with a good fighter !!

Edited by Derk

i could translate, but i'm too lazy lol.giflol.gif

The way i see it, they'll make those Tigers fly till 2020, though their lifetime limit is 2017 after the modernization program - and let's not forget, there still are some F-5EBR not modernized, so let's wait and see.

It's a bit of a weird situation our government is right now, the FAB - Brazilian Air Force - wants the Gripen or the S. Hornet. But the government wants the Rafale, for political reasons, but as of now, neither are on agreement on which one's coming to our Air Force.

It's not specified which version of the Gripen is going to the Swiss Air Force as of now, could be the default C/D configuration, or the future E/F versions, or NG if you prefer.

As a sidenote, the Gripen was chosen because it was way cheaper both at it's final price and maintaning costs then the Typhoon or Rafale.

The F-5E's are going to museums or be sold to another countries.

I just HOPE our country don't buy them, our Air Force has a lot of ex-Jordanian Air Force F-5E's and F's being modernized into EM versions. Main difference being the modern cockpit and instruments.

Tigerbr-cabine.jpg

Getting a bit more into the F-5E matter, did you guys know the F-5E prototype is currently flying in the Brazilian Air Force? I forgot it's registered number now but i am sure it is still flying around.

I can tell that pretty much everyone in Swedish Defence circuits - including SAAB - was quite surprised over this decision. Most thought Swiss would go for more Hornets.

Hopefully, this helps Brazil choice the most cost effective choice. While I would not call the Gripen our generations MiG-21, it fills pretty much the same role. Cost efficiency in peacetime, good performance in war and the lost effectiveness per plane can be used to purchase more - all to strengthen the team :)

Super Hornets are so much bigger than the F-5 it wouldn't really make sense. Of the 3 picks, the Gripen is closest in size and general capabilities as far as range and such. As the only single-engined plane, it naturally is cheaper because your engine buy is cut in half (including spares) along with other costs.

As for the "modern" MiG-21, that's the F-16. The Gripen is good but has really failed to make significant export success, largely because its US content means anyone who is approved to buy it is also approved to buy the 3 US teen fighters in production and they usually pick them instead as I think we give more favorable financing.

Super Hornets are so much bigger than the F-5 it wouldn't really make sense. Of the 3 picks, the Gripen is closest in size and general capabilities as far as range and such. As the only single-engined plane, it naturally is cheaper because your engine buy is cut in half (including spares) along with other costs.

As for the "modern" MiG-21, that's the F-16. The Gripen is good but has really failed to make significant export success, largely because its US content means anyone who is approved to buy it is also approved to buy the 3 US teen fighters in production and they usually pick them instead as I think we give more favorable financing.

Actually, the financing was the major reason Brazil didn't buy some F-16's to temporarily replace the deactivated Mirage IIIEBR. The choices were the F-16, Mirage 2000C or -5, Mig-29 or Su-27.

From all these, the cheaper were the Mirage 2000C, and the French had a very good deal with Embraer. Though i'd still go for Falcons over any other, i sure do hope that our choice to replace the 2000C becomes the FA-18E and F, maybe we can put them to good use with our Aircraft Carrier, the NaE Sao Paulo, ex-Foch.

Modernised A-4's and FA-18's would be a good enough of a package for our Naval Air Force as well.

I meant the US probably has better financing than Sweden, that's all. It doesn't surprise me that the French might undercut that to try and sell their planes, they're the most aggressive at sales in the world, although their Rafale track record would indicate a recent shift in that.

I meant the US probably has better financing than Sweden, that's all. It doesn't surprise me that the French might undercut that to try and sell their planes, they're the most aggressive at sales in the world, although their Rafale track record would indicate a recent shift in that.

Yeah a shift to pretty much... none sold until now, that's quite a mark really, never thought the Rafale would do so bad in that matter.

I look forward to some Hornets flying around here, i had enough of Mirages and other Deltas for now.

Don't know, I think it's a political thing as Falcon offers I've seen are not so favourable, though ofcourse you rarely if ever see the complete deal in available sources...

Well, the F-16 has a reputation that the Gripen does not as well.

Well, the F-16 has a reputation that the Gripen does not as well.

/\dat

The F-16 is pretty much all a country needs to get a good defense against the average invader or so, let's pretend Kuwait had F-16's stationed there when Iraq came knocking on their doors with Tanks and such, i bet the outcome would have been much more favorable to Kuwait.

It's just a matter of having the right tools for the job, in most air-to-air and air-to-ground missions, the Falcon still is a big name. That's my bet anyways.

Ironically, until some more countries get the Gripen and use it in combat it won't get a reputation to compete!

Ironically, until some more countries get the Gripen and use it in combat it won't get a reputation to compete!

It's like "You need more experience to get into this job."

Riiiight, and how will i get experience if you won't give me a job.

• Like 1

True, but of the 5 nations to get them (Sweden, Czech Republic, South Africa, Hungary, and Thailand), the Swedes have been the only force to use them in action. Sure the Euro nations have flown them in air police duties, but that doesn't sell jets.

Additionally, not much has come out from what the Gripens did during the Libya ops. I would have thought they would have used it as good PR for the aircraft and what it brings to the fight.

The Swiss are an interesting nation when they acquire arms. So many wickets. This might be held up for some time, awaiting full approval from all parties.

Are the F404/RM12 engines on the Gripens, common with the Swiss Hornets?

-S

EDIT: I just read that the Swiss opted for the Gripen NG or JAS-39E/F. It has the F414 engine as on the Super Hornet. So no commonality.

Edited by ST0RM