Sign in to follow this  
almccoyjr

OT....New CFS3 mod released

The guys at SOH's CFS3 forum have released their "CFS3 PTO Rising Sun" beta. It's on the OZx server. The OZx server is being upgraded, so it's currently down.

Just installed; the choice of aircraft is outstanding.

With P4 coming down the pike along with SF2 Mig Alley, we're no going to have a dynamic pacific war campaign in the future.

Flight simming is looking awfully good right now.

plug_nickel

I always wanted to fly the Pacific theater again; sounds promising!

How does that mod have to be installed, almccoyjr - does it like OFF take just a few files?

Or does one have to install the complete CFS3 first?

Thanks for the heads up. I will download it when the server comes online again.

Cheers MarkL

I always wanted to fly the Pacific theater again; sounds promising!

How does that mod have to be installed, almccoyjr - does it like OFF take just a few files?

Or does one have to install the complete CFS3 first?

CFS3 needs to be installed and patched up to 3.1a, and needs cd_1 or an iso in a virtual drive to run. I don't know about the dvd. CFS3 can be uninstalled after PTO_RS is functional.

There's a very specific install procedure that MUST be followed. The "How to..." instructions are very well written; however, read them a couple of times thoroughly.

I screwed around with the install several different ways to no avail; follow the instructions to the letter. There is one shortcut that saves some time, but only if you want the sim in an other location on a hd. If anyone wants it, I'll post it.

plug_nickel

The important question is:

Does it interfere with our Beloved OFF?

So many questions are running through my mind.

How soon will we have a Korean War F86F VS Mig15 ?

Will it come out on a disk some day ( and to heck with the cost )? I want a disk not a list of instructions that end in "but first"!!!

Sure glad to see folks moving in the right direction.

How is the relationship with the Microsoft developers of CFS3 going. I have thought in the past that the better that is the better the

chances are to "morph" CFS3 into other flight sims of different eras.

Just my 2bits worth.

The important question is:

Does it interfere with our Beloved OFF?

Good question. The answer is yes and no.

No...the install doesn't do anything to OFF directories or formatting.

Yes...when flying PTO_RS, you won't be flying OFF.

plug_nickel

Will it come out on a disk some day ( and to heck with the cost )? I want a disk not a list of instructions that end in "but first"!!!

I have thought in the past that the better that is the better the chances are to "morph" CFS3 into other flight sims of different eras.

Just my 2bits worth.

I understand how you feel.

I don't have a Steam (fart) account and will not buy or install any game/sim that requires it. That level of "plug & play" is to intrusive to me. I'm on the fence right now about reinstalling GT Legends in order to have the Historic GT series. HGT requires verification of the GTL disc with Starforce. Even though Starforce isn't installed, the idea of putting anything into my drive with it is also intrusive.

OFF evolved into an extraordinary "commercial" endeavor from a CFS3 mod and "morphed" into something truly great. The install was straight forward and painless.

Other mods that require batch changes, .dll placements, etc, are worth it to me only because of the nature of the mod and its developers.

I've flown, fly several mods that will probably never be available on a cd/dvd and if I had chosen to wait for that possibility, I would have missed out on a lot of enjoyment.

Just my nickels worth.

plug_nickel

:drinks::clapping: Good News and just in time for the holidays. U guys have made my day. Thanks ! :yikes::salute:

How soon will we have a Korean War F86F VS Mig15 ?

This is the hot question of the day! When indeed?

The guys at SOH's CFS3 forum have released their "CFS3 PTO Rising Sun" beta. It's on the OZx server. The OZx server is being upgraded, so it's currently down.

I googled 'SOH CFS3 Forum' and it took me here:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/go/067e0cfccc0b131c6622a9d259c47689/cfs3-pto-rising-sun

I'm downloading now. It's in 9 zipped parts.

Thanks for the link, Hauksbee -

I needed to register and must wait for confirmation mail, but then I hope I can also download it.

.There's a very specific install procedure that MUST be followed. The "How to..." instructions are very well written; however, read them a couple of times thoroughly.

I got it all downloaded last night. Now, for the install. I assume I start with Part#1 and instructions will be obvious? Just follow the bouncing ball?

I got it all downloaded last night. Now, for the install. I assume I start with Part#1 and instructions will be obvious? Just follow the bouncing ball?

Yes just follow the install instructions, and you should be fine..

I have this new expansion loaded painlessly..

Hauksbee, is this "Rising Sun" mod the best momentary available for Pacific theater?

Right now, PTO-RS is in Beta. You are still tied to Microsoft's horrid interface for CFS3. There are separate missions, but no campaign. To change areas (i.e, Pearl Harbor to Wake or Midway) you must completely exit the sim an restart again. Granted, these warnings are already posted in the ReadMe file. It must have been a lot of work to get the terrain and ground targets installed - Pearl Harbor is amazing with all the ships in their correct locations. I may have to take an IJN torpedo bomber in there to see what I can do.

I had a couple of crashes to the desktop when I tried to ESC out of the intro movies, but other than that it does what it promises

Overall, it is very good for a work in progress. There are several add-ons for CFS3 that may have done bits and pieces of what PTO-RS has done, but I would not have the patience to find, download, and install dozens (or hundreds) of separate mods that may or may not work well together. As it is, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Add campain, more aircraft options, and a little more stability and that'd be bumped up by one or two.

If you really feel the need to fly in the Pacific, you can go for CFS2. Like CFS3, there are innumerable addon aircraft, missions, scenery and such.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Thanks for the review Jarhead, I would like to have given it a look,

but now I won't bother register...

I prefer the IL-2 series for WWII anyway...

Moreover in it's current highly modded form!

Here's a couple of Tainan Group pilot skins I've done lately:

TainanGroup-SakaiSaburo-1.jpg

TainanGroup-NishizawaHiroyoshi.jpg

(I agree about CFS2, though... What a blast those days!)

Edited by elephant

elephant, those skins and pilots look great!

Is there a mod for IL-2, which allows to fly a Pacific campaign?

elephant, those skins and pilots look great!

Is there a mod for IL-2, which allows to fly a Pacific campaign?

Olham,

Pacific Fighters was a stand-alone simulation published by Ubisoft. It was designed to be installed independently or linked to IL-2. I have a copy that's just collecting dust. It's yours, if you're interested. PM me your address.

Pacific Fighters was also included in the IL-2 1946 collection. There many IL-2 mods that use landscapes and planes from the pacific theater..

Edited by BirdDogICT

Damn, I had completely forgotten that I HAVE "Pacific Fighters". Just searched through my IL-2 stuff and found it.

Bought it back then, but never installed it. I wonder if it is any good - I'll check it out!

Damn, I had completely forgotten that I HAVE "Pacific Fighters". Just searched through my IL-2 stuff and found it.

Bought it back then, but never installed it. I wonder if it is any good - I'll check it out!

I forgot about it, too. I should have remembered. And it, too, allows you to add aircraft and skins. I may have to reinstall that one, too. Although after all this time with OFF, anything above 110 mph is a little fast for me. At least IL-2 lets you slow time down so you don't get overwhelmed.

Just found this IL-2 Pacific video on YouTube - man, look at those skins! Nice work!

I wonder if this is a mod, or the original?

IMO, install IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 instead...

(If you don't have it you can get it for €2.49 from Getgames)

http://www.getgamesgo.com/category/Flight-simulation

and mod it with UP.3 (Ultra Pack)

http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php

for additional mods you can go to SAS modding site :

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php

I personaly, use DBW (Dark Blue World) mod, from there, on UP.3

(specified for offline play)

the best way to go... :grin:

PS: this way you can practically fly in every theatre of WWII,

even Korea, with a mix of early jets and prop planes.

Check out this Dynamic Campaign for UP.3/DBW by my friend Boelcke from A&A Paintworks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ameN7aKUE

Edited by elephant