Sign in to follow this  
almccoyjr

OT....New CFS3 mod released

Thank you, elephant.

My main question is: can I fly a campaign in the Pacific?

Yes of course, either dynamic or static, (based on historical events),

not to mention for practically every side involved!

:salute:

Edited by elephant

Do you have made or do you know perhaps a video from a friend, from the Pacific theater?

The "Flying Tigers" seems to be so much better looking than the "Rabaul" scenery and planes; can that be?

The third video is forbidden here. The 4. looks almost like real again. No. 1 and 4 are masterly made really!

I always loved the look of the "Warhawk" with the Shark mouth.

:good: :good: :good:

And that's what I'd get with your above mod links, elephant? That would be incredible!

elephant, I have the package "IL-2 GOLDEDITION" (without "Pacific Fighters");

plus an extra CD "Pacific Fighters" - do you know if I can also use the above

mods with that, or must I have "1946"?

Yes, plus some other theatres too...

What about some BoB action? (more stable than CloD)

Masterpiece movie, tribute to BoB 1969 movie, by barfly:

Or my favorite Mediterranean theatre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WI9tDSaN4E&feature=autoplay&list=ULySDUjTKhc3k&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1

PS: Just saw your post...

I'm afraid yes; you must have 1946.

You can download it from GetGames for 2.49, everything else is charge free!

For a game that covers everything in WWII plus Korea,

with hundreds of flyable planes available, is ridiculusly cheap!

Edited by elephant

IL-2 1946 has all of the WW2 action. Russia, Pacific, ... ! Try taking off a carrier in a F4U Corsair--- "The ensign elimanator".

How long would it take with 16000er download rate, to download such a whole sim?

I'm asking so I know if I should let it run, when I go out - or if I can do it in 20 minutes.

I downloaded IL-2 CloD (which is a bigger download), from GetGames for 12.49!

It took sometime...I think I left it overnight, The download speed was at about 400 kb/sec...

The additional comulative mod downloads aren't small either...

It's worth the wait though.

PS: Don't forget to patch 1946 to the latest version.

It's a mandatory field in order to add mod packs.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/265/1/IL_2_Series_Downloads.html

Right now, PTO-RS is in Beta. You are still tied to Microsoft's horrid interface for CFS3. There are separate missions, but no campaign. To change areas (i.e, Pearl Harbor to Wake or Midway) you must completely exit the sim an restart again.

As it is, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Add campain, more aircraft options, and a little more stability and that'd be bumped up by one or two.

Hi Jarhead,

The game exiting out to change theatres is not really a problem, it had to be done this way to allow for the new terrain files and assocociated scenery files etc to be swapped into the main game structure.

This is very similar to the way OFF works (everytime you drop back to the OFF manager you are shutting down the CFS3 part of OFF, and the OFF manager too swaps in and out files to set up the CFS3 part of the game to match the criteria you picked) except Rising Sun does not have the sophisticted front end manager, just a simple number selection which runs a bat file that does the work.

Aircraft, there are approximately 66 differant aircraft models in game (with at least 5 or 6 of these models never seen in CFS3 before), and approximately 266 historically researched aircraft in game based off these models as standalones. and theres at least 4 more new models in the works as I type. all of the newer models are absolutely brilliant with exceptional detail. (as a comparison OFF has approximately 44 differant models of aircraft included)

Campaigns are in the works, but they will never probably match the campaign structure we currently enjoy with OFF. but then again OFF doesnt use CFS3 to run its campaigns, the manager does all the work and simply sets up the required mission for the CFS3 part to run and then tracks the outcomes and updates the data in the manager . But having said that each theatre has very well researched historical mission sets to give a feel for the combat encountered in each area.

Thanks for the review Jarhead, I would like to have given it a look,

but now I won't bother register...

Hi Elephant,

If you really like PTO, I can strongly recommend the download, once its set up correctly its a safe and stable platform with many many improvements over the original CFS3 format.

It has a wide scope for mission types and combatant countries with every major particpant included from 1937 (Sino wars) through to 1945.

List of countries available in game.

<Alliances>

<Alliance ID="Allies" Name="Allies">

<Country ID="Britain"/>

<Country ID="USA"/>

<Country ID="Australia"/>

<Country ID="China"/>

<Country ID="AVG"/>

<Country ID="US_Navy"/>

<Country ID="Other_Allied_Nations"/>

<Country ID="Russia"/>

<Country ID="New_Zealand"/>

<Country ID="Netherlands"/>

<Country ID="US_marines"/>

</Alliance>

<Alliance ID="Axis" Name="Axis">

<Country ID="Japan_IJN"/>

<Country ID="Vichy_France"/>

<Country ID="Other_Axis_Nations"/>

<Country ID="Japan_AAF"/>

</Alliances>

<Countries>

Other axis nations represented so far are Manchukuo and Thailand.

It also has over 60 historical biographies of pilots who flew in the various theatres.

Its still in beta and has lots of work to be done, but was released so the modding community could take it up and run with it, and any work of note would then be built into patches to keep the install process simple for the vast majority of people who dont know how or cant be bothered to go and search for hundreds of differant files, as Jarhead mentioned in his post.

anyway I'm rambling, I was just trying to say grab the download you having nothing to lose but some time, and you may just like it.

regards Rob.

Edited by Capt. Winters

I have always loved how the IL2 serries looked. Such great attention to detail. However I never liked, at all, the way it 'felt' flying. I dunno if that makes sense. I could dive from 10000ft and scream accross the deck at 2ft, clipping grass, and It just felt as if i was out for a sunday stroll when i looked out the cockpit. Hard to explain. Oh well. Some real good mod work done to this one as well. IL2 has been a staple of the wwii flight sim comunity for a few good years now. Just not one to every grab me personally.

Hi Jarhead,

The game exiting out to change theatres is not really a problem, it had to be done this way to allow for the new terrain files and assocociated scenery files etc to be swapped into the main game structure.

This is very similar to the way OFF works (everytime you drop back to the OFF manager you are shutting down the CFS3 part of OFF, and the OFF manager too swaps in and out files to set up the CFS3 part of the game to match the criteria you picked) except Rising Sun does not have the sophisticted front end manager, just a simple number selection which runs a bat file that does the work.

Aircraft, there are approximately 66 differant aircraft models in game (with at least 5 or 6 of these models never seen in CFS3 before), and approximately 266 historically researched aircraft in game based off these models as standalones. and theres at least 4 more new models in the works as I type. all of the newer models are absolutely brilliant with exceptional detail. (as a comparison OFF has approximately 44 differant models of aircraft included)

Campaigns are in the works, but they will never probably match the campaign structure we currently enjoy with OFF. but then again OFF doesnt use CFS3 to run its campaigns, the manager does all the work and simply sets up the required mission for the CFS3 part to run and then tracks the outcomes and updates the data in the manager . But having said that each theatre has very well researched historical mission sets to give a feel for the combat encountered in each area.

Sorry, didn't mean to dump on your parade. I have enjoyed flying the missions. And you are correct, the aircraft are first rate. The P40 is much better than any other CFS3 version that I've flown. But I'm still trying to get the hang of getting my Kate off the carrier to torpedo the Arizona.

I guess that the OFF dynamic campaign and avoidance of the CFS3 menu structure got me spoiled. One thing that PTO:RS has that OFF doesn't is the post flight pilot animation. I always enjoyed seeing if I could survive, but fly so poorly that the pilot vomits at the end of the video.

Overall, I do like PTO:RS and if it's any consolation I have not deleted it from my hard drive and I have been playing it more often than OFF.:good:

As the P-40 touches down (at around 5:10) I see condensation fog coming off the wingtips. I've seen it often on jets at high speed, but it does seem odd on a P-40 at landing speed. Has anyone else seen this in similar situations?

The mist forms by a combination of high humidity and low pressure situations. If it was a very damp day and the wingtips were generating a lot of lift (i.e., low pressure above the wing), I suppose it could happen. Great video in any case.

Right. When a gas expands, the temperature drops. When the high pressure at the leading edge of the wing dissipates into low pressure at the trailing edge, the expansion\temp. drop causes the humidity in the air to condense into fog. But at landing speed?

Yikes Elephant......great vids....I must check this out having never played anything other than CFS,,,,thanks

Right. When a gas expands, the temperature drops. When the high pressure at the leading edge of the wing dissipates

into low pressure at the trailing edge, the expansion\temp. drop causes the humidity in the air to condense into fog.

But at landing speed?

I was wondering about the same. Perhaps artistic freedom rather. But then the air in some Asian regions is often very humid?

I was wondering about the same. Perhaps artistic freedom rather. But then the air in some Asian regions is often very humid?

I think it would be safe to say that the air in Southeast Asia is very humid just about everywhere. Southeast Asia invented humid. I recall getting off a plane in Hong Kong; 'thought I was going to melt into the pavement. But on approach to Kai Tak, I don't recall condensation coming off the wingtips of our 747. Attached is a plane punching through the sound barrier.

Hi Guys,

I regularily fly into a mine site in Nth Laos (near Vietnam) flying in a Cessna 208 Caravan. landing speed around 80knt.

I have seen on many occasions wing tip vortices being formed on final approach and touch down onto the dirt strip.

regards Rob.

I have seen on many occasions wing tip vortices being formed on final approach and touch down onto the dirt strip.

And there we have it!! Thanks Capt. Winters.