Sign in to follow this  
Sundowner

Nice collection of low level........

How low can you go?

Wow some of those are breath taking.

INSANE :yikes::yikes:

outstanding!!!!

Cowardly, and sloppy. Except for those whose mission is to fly, and train to fly, at low level and high speed (or in tight formation, another pee of mine), this is all cowards' flying. Otherwise, high speed, low level, kills dead.

This is correct however, for some reason my second favorite movie of all time, after original Star War...

SnakeBelly::

In the world's best film ever ( :salute: -- 2nd best), Dr. Strangelove, George C. Scott's character, General Buck Turgidson, when asked if the rogue B-52 can get through the Soviet defenses, spreads his arms like wings and proudly expounds in the War Room "If the pilot's good, see. I mean, if he's really... sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane, like a '52, vroom! There's jet exhaust, flyin' chickens in the barnyard!" Right on Buck!

Yeah you go BUCK!

Here's one of my fave stories. A seemingly great B-47 pilot John Lappo, who got sloppy by flying his bomber under a bridge. Grounded in SAC thereafter, fortunately.

Alaskan's Assault on the Mackinac Bridge, by Danny Shepherd who predictably starts out with "A Man's man -..."

When asked why he did it, he said, "why do men climb mountains? Or what motivates them to go into space? It's just a sense of adventure that some men have and some don't." He added, "I've always wanted to fly under a big bridge. I thought it would be the Golden Gate. When I was flying missions to the Far East, I was a co-pilot, and I wanted to fly under the Golden Gate at night. But I couldn't induce the pilot to do it."

A mans man? No, that's cowardly Fail.

Interesting reading about all the questions on "reliability."

post-2160-0-48415000-1338205564.jpg

Old story, but here's some low country low passing

post-2160-0-79597900-1338205625.jpg

.... meaning a sad farewell to good old Valkenburg RNNAS a couple of years ago....

Edited by Derk

I'm a fan of low level flying (having of course done it back in the day) but it bothers me to see flying that:

1) Endangers spectators and/or

2) Is unauthorized, unpracticed or impromptu (in non-combat situations)

Pilots have a responsibility to protect people on the ground and to protect the assets taxpayers have paid for. Note this is different from authorized displays like airshows, air races, memorial flybys, low level training, etc. where there are clear rules and limitations.

FC

Low flying?

post-3395-0-36311800-1338226011.jpg

No problem!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Of course quite agree with you FC. Just the same the occasion was a very frustrating and quite sad one. The squadron was very well trained and had a lot to do, the Orions had just been modernised for about E 250.000.000,= and would be sold (read: given away) for exactly that amount to Germany and Portugal, the airbase was modern and in fine shape (rwy recently renovated) and would be completely closed, meaning a direct local job loss of about 1300 and the fixed wing flying with the MLD would come to an end.

The plan was that the money saved on all the cuts would be invested in a cruise missile capability (!!) on some ships -stupid plan anyway and of course cancelled after some time- and all proposals for alternative use of the airfield (part civilian, offshore bussiness, VIP flights for international institutions/ gouvernement/ royal flight and a somewhat reduced number of P3C's) were refused. Very much a political game in which the "ship navy" played its role too, because they would loose one or two frigates if fixed wing naval aviation would be maintained .......

The whole thing still stinks.......:mad: