Sign in to follow this  
Adger

The best Rpg,s ever made?

Hi guys,i know a lot of you are dabbling in the world of skyrim at the moment,but id just thought id share this,whilst we wait for P4

http://www.gog.com/e...tima_7_complete i reckon the best Rpg series of them all :drinks:

Edited by Adger1971

Remember it well...though I found it at the time, quite frustrating to play

I played Ultima III and IV, in the good old days. However I still think Baldur's Gate saga, probably the best RPG ever.

Never played Fallout I and II. I know, it's a sin.

Planescape: Torment FTW! :grin:

Edited by SFP1Ace

I dig those Japanese ones in a similar vein to Ultima 7, specifically Shining Force 2. I think they're probably classified as more of an adventure game... but Japanese adventure games are by definition RPGs here in the West. Shining Force was also good and I had friends who got into Phantasy Star 4 who used to swear by that series. Baulder's Gate 2 was pretty good, especially when you got a group of people together.

Also, not quite an rpg, but Jagged Alliance 2. Awesome fun, lots of rpg elements to it.

Edited by ZmelliFahrdz

I played Ultima III and IV, in the good old days. However I still think Baldur's Gate saga, probably the best RPG ever.

Never played Fallout I and II. I know, it's a sin.

fallout 1 and 2 are both very good,yeah forgot about baldurs gate true classic rpg,s

Since I never played any of the early, famous ones, I can only name the one I like most - without much comparing.

FALLOUT was one I didn't like, simply because the graphics looked too "gamey"; most stuff looked like cardboard cutouts to me.

(I was also quite disappointed by the look of "Skyrim" - all the hype, and then it looks no better than stuff we had 7 years ago?)

The one that made a deep, "realistic" endtime impression on me was STALKER.

I know, it had lots of bugs and needed much patching first. But it had a believeable atmosphere and interesting visual/graphic stuff,

without getting lost in that. Just my humble opinion.

I would say Thief Deadly Shadows ia the one for me.The game has a wonderful atmosphere about it and i would often get so immersed in it that i forgot all about time.Ive lost count how many times i have replayed it.The graphics are probably a little dated now by todays standards but still not bad.

I dont really buy game anymore but have got into the Assassins Creed series and really enjoy them.

Hector.

Since I never played any of the early, famous ones, I can only name the one I like most - without much comparing.

FALLOUT was one I didn't like, simply because the graphics looked too "gamey"; most stuff looked like cardboard cutouts to me.

(I was also quite disappointed by the look of "Skyrim" - all the hype, and then it looks no better than stuff we had 7 years ago?)

I know, it had lots of bugs and needed much patching first. But it had a believeable atmosphere and interesting visual/graphic stuff,

totally agree olham stalker and the last one (call of pripyat) are indeed excellent games ,didnt like clear sky much though .

daft question but have you got the stalker complete mods installed with them ,it makes them superb.there are some excellent skyrim Fxaa texture packs available for small drop in framerates,

just head over to nexus skyrim or let me know,and i can hopefully put you on the right track sir :good:

Bard's Tale I.

Had me and several guys at work hooked. We managed to sneak a copy onto the Operators' PC and so we'd be there every lunchtime or calling each other up at 3 a.m, if one of us was on-call... playing Bard's Tale

Edited by Dej

I'm not that fond of heroic fantasy, magic and spells, double axes and long swords, elfic fuss... I'm rather about sci-fi, and the best RPG to me remains Stars Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (the first one). The Star Wars universe and atmosphere without the classic characters and ships, a challenge... achieved. Aging graphics by now, still with fine intermediate movies and interesting new designs. And above all, an excellent story worth the whole first Trilogy, with an improbable gathering varied panel of engaging characters using biting exchanges to each other (= Episode IV), an epic initiatory journey throughout the Galaxy until the playing character discovers his true identity (a stunning surprise worth "I am your father!", Episode V), uneasy love affairs with complicated characters, and as a final, a legendary lightsaber duel aboard a giant space station, with narrow escape before it is finally destroyed by a friendly fleet (= Episode VI). With of course the main SW emotional ingredient: Fall and Redemption (not once, but twice in turn!)

post-48840-0-76398800-1323079178.jpg

I was wondering if anybody wouldn't mention KOTOR.

Deus Ex also deserves to be in this list.

However I still think Baldur's Gate saga, probably the best RPG ever.

THIS exactly. And although dragon age 1 was very good, i think baldur's gate will never be thrown out off the best classic RPG place.

Also, not quite an rpg, but Jagged Alliance 2. Awesome fun, lots of rpg elements to it.

Hey dude, jagged alliance is not dead, check the mod 1.13 which has improved it since years to bring it to an excellence level. http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/

Yes, and for me even more than that. Not only the scenario is credible, which contrasts with other FPS, but it adds also enough RPG elements to make it better than any FPS without being a pure RPG. The stalker "culture", way of life, IA independant and continuous behavour ("A" life), atmosphere, make it unique. Can't wait for stalker 2.

I am quite surprrised that talking of excellent RPGs nobody thought about Mount and Blade? Of the rare modern games which are valuable community wise, for a niche market of true gamers and modders like the strike fighters series, mount and blade excellent gameplay and unlimited mods of quality available for free, deserves quite a place here IMO :)

Edited by Nix

I would say Thief Deadly Shadows ia the one for me.The game has a wonderful atmosphere about it and i would often get so immersed in it that i forgot all about time.Ive lost count how many times i have replayed it.The graphics are probably a little dated now by todays standards but still not bad.

I dont really buy game anymore but have got into the Assassins Creed series and really enjoy them.

Hector.

I have to agree with this Hector. A fine title that flew beneath the radar a bit.

Hey, Nix - a flyer from France, who isn't in our "OFF Forum Pilots Maps" ???

Please send me a PM with your town, and I'll add you there!

Shiloh,

I read a few years ago about the possibility of another Thief game being made but sadly, it dosnt seemed to have happened.

Although i enjoyed the game play a lot,i think things like the background music and sometimes witty diologue between the gaurds added a lot to the experience.My fav sequence or level was "Widow Moira's Mansion" with the thunder storm raging and that eerie piano music.Wonderful stuff.

Hector.