Man! It's been years since I've gone off to the dark world of xbox360 and college. With winter break happening in a few weeks, I was quite happy to see CombatACE up and running. Whats changed since 2008-09? I keep seeing these WoV2 and WoE2 stuff, is it worth it? What does it offer that hasnt been already done with the first generation?

Is there any essential mod out there? The ones I can remember were the Operation Tainted Cigar and Operation Desert Storm mods along with the NATO Fighters campaigns. Those were sick!

Man! It's been years since I've gone off to the dark world of xbox360 and college. With winter break happening in a few weeks, I was quite happy to see CombatACE up and running. Whats changed since 2008-09?

Well, well.....another lost soul returns to the fold....welcome back :grin:

I keep seeing these WoV2 and WoE2 stuff, is it worth it? What does it offer that hasnt been already done with the first generation?

Well, the SF1 series was last updated in 2008....so.....Most of us have moved onto SF2, as it offers better avionics, better graphics (DX10), and it's coded for multi-threading so as to take advantage of multi-core processors. The last two features make for better average frame rates.

Should I mention better terrains, bump and specular mapped models, and a built in mission editor (available as a standalone download, or as part of expansion pack 2)?

Just read through the threads.

Welcome back.

I'm still running SFP1 and for some odd reason I've been obsessed with building many of the campaigns I've thought about over the years, for the past couple, three weeks or so.

I too wonder, is upgrading and getting on the DLC treadmill (Like ROF) worth it.

Yes

since 99.9% of all the modders, and hence all the mods, are being built for SF2

plus the first truly new title, SF2: North Atlantic will be out in errr, two weeks

plus the first truly new title, SF2: North Atlantic will be out in errr, two weeks

TK would never break his before X-mas Deadline! :grin:

X-mas? never heard of, Christmas, yes

ok, I do believe it's sooner that later, TK wouldn't add "from upcoming Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic" to the screenshots description

Edited by Stary

Is there any plan or does the SP2 series have anything resembling a coop or mult-player campaign?

Is there any plan or does the SP2 series have anything resembling a coop or mult-player campaign?

TK has stated that he does not plan to add multiplayer support to the SF2 series, as DX10 (and DX11) does not support MS Direct Play.

Thats really too bad. MP with fellow SF/WOx buds is where it is at. It is a BLAST. All required is same/identical installs for the older series. Not fully exploiting /engineering MP for Thirdwire-2 products misses the boat on an opportunity to REALLY expand the community ($$ for TK & Crew) and increase its longevity. I assume based on what I have read there is NO WAY to add MP to the "2" series. That said - I have no doubt this community would produce MP packs that people could DL so that if they wanted to play a bud (or anyone of our community who wanted to MP) or elsewhere with same MP pack - it would be a breeze. This would be a welcome change from just flying and fighting solo. Quite a bit more stimulating - flying & talking simultaneously ( via skype or other) with a REAL person or persons. Same thing that makes ARMA and other recent sims so much fun.

Edited by Misty FAC

Thats really too bad. MP with fellow SF/WOx buds is where it is at. It is a BLAST. All required is same/identical installs for the older series. Not fully exploiting /engineering MP for Thirdwire-2 products misses the boat on an opportunity to REALLY expand the community ($$ for TK & Crew) and increase its longevity. I assume based on what I have read there is NO WAY to add MP to the "2" series. That said - I have no doubt this community would produce MP packs that people could DL so that if they wanted to play a bud (or anyone of our community who wanted to MP) or elsewhere with same MP pack - it would be a breeze.

Well, this will probably get me banned, but Misty FAC, I agree with you 100%, If I was a coder I'd do it myself. Based on conversations I've had with several serious programers, the only reason the developer doesn't do decent multi-player for the SFX/WOX simulations is that he either doesn't know how, and is unwilling to figure it out (Which I doubt) or is busy with other more lucritive activities, or simply too lazy.

Personally I think a Hosted Semi-Persistant "Terrain" with Targets, AI Squadrons roaming around, and players on both sides would put this series into the Top Rung, triple sales, and the lack of this kind of MP is what is slowly killing it. A frustrating shame.

Edited by Padre