Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Sometimes it's scary how accurate the offensives take place in OFF

i've had in my german campaign just a sortie in 12th of april 1917. as i patroled the lines at Cambrai, i saw the long street which connects Arras and Cambrai through nomandsland under heavy barrage bombardement.

the very next day the next heeresbericht appeared as news and it said exactly that:

Der Verlauf der Kämpfe bei Arras

Im Raume von Arras, an und östlich der Linie Souchez-Neuville-Vitasse, tobten auch gestern lebhafte Kämpfe. Wie selbst englische Berichte betonen, wurde der englische Angriff bei Arras unter einem Einsatz von Artillerie begonnen, der alles bisher Dagewesene übertrifft. Es wurde auch Gas angeblasen. Durch die gutliegende und äußerst starke englische Feuersperre wurden Teile der deutschen Besatzung in den vordersten Gräben vollkommen abgeschnitten. Der Verlust beherrschender Höhenrücken in der vordersten Linie, die vom englischen Artilleriefeuer systematisch abgeriegelt worden waren, machte an einigen Stellen ein Ausweichen bis zu 4 Kilometer notwendig. Die Geschütze, die dem nachstoßenden Gegner überlassen werden mußten, wurden unbrauchbar gemacht und gesprengt. Bei Givenchy-en-Gohelle an der Vimy-Höhe griffen die Engländer gegen 3 Uhr nachmittags an, wobei sie kleine örtliche Vorteile errangen. Ein englischer Angriff bei Farbus am Fuße des Ausläufers der Vimy-Höhe, 2 Kilometer südöstlich des Dorfes Vimy, scheiterte indessen vollkommen. Weiter südlich trugen die Engländer seit Mittag schwere Angriffe unter Einsatz dichter Massen und Sturmhaufen gegen unsere Linie an der Straße Arras - Cambrai vor, die sämtlich ergebnislos verliefen und dem Gegner schwere Verluste kosteten. Ein Engländernest wurde mit einem Verlust von 80 Toten für den Feind gesäubert. Südöstlich von Arras versuchte der Feind eine schon im Herbst 1915 für ihn verhängnisvoll gewordene Taktik zu wiederholen, indem er voreilig starke Kavalleriemassen versammelte. Sie wurden durch gutliegende Feuergarben zersprengt. Auch weiter südöstlich bei Bullecourt wurde der Angriff zweier englischer Bataillone nach starker Artillerievorbereitung unter schweren Verlusten restlos abgewiesen und Gefangene eingebracht. Aus dem Bericht von Sir Douglas Haig geht hervor, welche besondere Wichtigkeit er den Vimy-Höhen beimißt. Er durfte dort daher die schwersten Kämpfe erwarten. Bezeichnend ist es, daß er seinem eigenen Bericht zufolge gerade an dieser Stelle die kanadischen Hilfstruppen einsetzte. Die Fliegertruppe hat einen neuen schweren Verlust erlitten. Leutnant d. R. Frankl ist am 8. April gefallen.

the fat part exactly describes what i have seen from above the day before :good: . isn't that great?

Well, I doubt that most people here can read this, but I can and I must say:

Yes, the historical research that has been done and has flowed into OVER FLANDERS FIELDS, is top notch.

I saw the same for the battle for Passchendaele.

Any other sim would just have some minor artillery going on everywhere, without the correct locations, and

without any context to the historical events.

I think this is all Shredward's work, and the man has not been honoured here much yet for all the countless

hours he must have put into this great work.

So let's do this with a German troops' way of toasting (I hope you British and French come up with some of your own):

(The Vizefeldwebel raises his glas and shouts:) "Shredward, er lebe hoch!"

(and joined by all men, who all raise their glasses:) "Hoch! Hoch!!"

(All men drink their glasses out)

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Edited by Olham

Thank you Herr Olham, but I would be remiss if I did not point out the grey Wizard Winder as being the one responsible for the particularly excellent fireworks to entertain all the little Hobbitses on a fine summer's day

Cheers

Shredward

Yes, I knew you didn't also BUILD it - this toast was on the research.

Winder has got several medals for his great works already,

but yes: he has done a great, great job making all your info into 3D "Hobbitses".

Did I dream that, or have I recently seen (British?) cavalry near Lens, when I was very low?

I saw the same for the battle for Passchendaele.

That was something that particularly impressed me , Olham. I reached the opening of the Passchendaele offensive very shortly after finishing a book about the campaign. Seeing the bombardment in OFF as I got nearer the front really seemed to make everything I had read come alive. You can't always do a lot with historical knowledge, but I think that there are times when OFF can genuinely enhance the understanding you can get from reading about the period.

So a definite 'Hoch! Hoch!' to Shredward, (and the rest of the Devs of course) for that.

So much historical knowledge has been carefully put into OFF; all the squadrons and the ways they take across the maps

during four years of war; all the hundreds of individual and ace skins, and the thousands of squadron-sheme paintjobs of

skins - more than 3.700 ! - all the events on the ground in perfect timing, the life and correct death time of all the aces -

I bet I haven't even seen 10% of the whole work - this is a big cornucopia.

I do also own and fly the "other sim", and I know what I like about it, and there is really a lot I like, but compared to this rich

content of OFF - these Volumes 1 - 16 of WW1 history that OFF really is (and I'm speaking of thick volumes!) - compared to

all this, the other is yet a desert. And before anyone complains: I don't mean that with disrespect - I like the other for what it is.

Actually, if someone would come up with a third interesting WW1 sim, I'd also buy that one.

But I LOVE Over Flanders Fields. And I can hardly wait for the next big step forward, that the devels are working on.

Sheer cretinism - cause I haven't even yet seen all BH&H has to offer.