Sign in to follow this  
nabele68

Converting F-4 radar scope to DSCG style

I remember using an excellent mod for WOI that converted the F-4E Kurnass' radar scope to the correct mid-70's+ Digital Scan Converter Group version. Considering the chance of the OEM SF2 F-4's being modified by TK to the correct scope for their time periods are about slim to none, is it possible for this mod to be updated to SF2?

Original mod for WOI:

http://combatace.com/files/file/7258-solid-state-anapq-120-radar-dscg-radar-scope-asasg-26-gun-sight-mod/

The idea is simply to convert the F-4 radar from 60s avionics dll to 70 avionics dll.

The original mod should mostly work, but may require some tweaks to accommodate any changes between WoX and SF2 70s avionics files.

I wouldn't mind having a crack at it, personally I find the Kurnass one of the most SF2 aircraft interesting to fly. Do you have any reference info, details or web sites about the Digital Scan Converter Group radar scope and AN/APQ-120 as they were used on the Kurnass?

I wouldn't mind having a crack at it, personally I find the Kurnass one of the most SF2 aircraft interesting to fly. Do you have any reference info, details or web sites about the Digital Scan Converter Group radar scope and AN/APQ-120 as they were used on the Kurnass?

The download has a readme with sourcing information on the scope. The scope itself was used on all F-4E's from the mid 70's on (I forget the Block when they started installing them), not just the Kurnass. I believe the original mod designer made it for WOI because WOI was the first TW product that used the updated avionics70.dll.

The best result would be a mod that you could use on any F-4E (US/NATO/Foriegn), with the F-4E(75) and later probably the most likely versions.

Here is the mod updated to SF2 standards for you to test. In the read me is says he wasn't able to deactivate the lookdown shootdown capability of the radar but from what I can figure out from the net this radar had a limited lookdown ability anyway?

EDIT: Still trying to figure out a way to get the roll tabs on the gun sight to show up with an air-to-air missile or air-to-ground weapon selected....

F-4E_Kurnass_73.7z

Edited by dtmdragon

dtmdragon,

Nice work. Other than your noted issue with the roll tabs, here are some observations I saw.

-Radar range gate parks itself off to the right from the usual upper-middle position while in AA mod. Not a big deal but noticeable. (I can't remember if the original mod did the same or not)

-Purely a personal preference, but I like the radar/ECM scopes to not have the 'aged' look, since it often changes between different radar modes and isn't realistic. Is this something that can resolved by simply deleting/removing the .tga files for the radar background and have the sim revert to the factory version, or does it require something different?

**EDIT**

Figured out the radar background, just had to delete the .tga files for the radar/ECM and they reverted to stock.

The radar backgrounds did more than just give it a worn look, they changed the whole look and shape to what it should be for the DSCG system but it's up to you. I haven't been able to fix the other issues unfortunately...

**EDIT**

Figured out the radar background, just had to delete the .tga files for the radar/ECM and they reverted to stock.