Polovski

* * PHASE 4 PREVIEW MOVIE 1 ! * *

...and he really looks like that! :rofl:

Edited by Olham

I play this movie every day as im getting ready for work. Works like the ol' Rocky theme music to get me goin. :good:

I love a lot of things about this little preview clip. The updated manager, UI, and QC could/might be my favorite update so far. Although I also like how squadrons/escadrilles/jastas now have a more regional presence. Oh i don't know, so far it's ALL gravy!

Bump.. it's vanishing below all the OT posts !

Hihihi! You - the makers of OFF - must be thinking something like:

Rats - not that much reaction on our video! Are people even still interested?

I think I can assure you: yes, we all are - despite any "other sims".*

But we don't know what to write anymore, after all the "aaaahs!" and "ooooohhhs!" we

wrote about all the previous preview screenshots - many are not as wordy as I am.

And now is a hectic time of year - the whole rush towards Xmas; at work it gets real mad

and you need to find and buy all the presents etc.

You could of course - to get better noticed - release more videos.

I wouldn't mind at all! Mmuahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

(* even when there are other pearls - OFF is the majestic jewel among them)

Edited by Olham

IMO in most sims the world and main purpose is just created for being in the air while beeing on the ground feels kind of strange and temporary. like knowing that actually most of the time is in the air and therefore no need to create a real world at the ground. hard to explain what i mean. the ground is more or less just there to have one with maybe some eyecandy to give the impression of a world, but that's it.

in the vid of p4 you have IMO a completely different feeling. beeing on the ground is full of life and looks very realistic like the view we know 99% of the time in real life . you don't feel strange beeing at low altitude or at the airfield. it's rather like you really belong there because human is not supposed to fly and the strange thing instead is beeing in the air like it should. and after the sortie you are happy to be on the ground again.

hard to explain. but that's just to show how alive and realistic the world at the ground and low altitude looks. :good:

• Like 1

I think I understand and share your feelings very well, Creaghorn.

If I land at "my" airfield, I always feel like coming home.

I never interrupt and quit a flight in mid-air - I always land, as if it was really necessary - as if it was real life.

That's why my heart makes high jumps of joy when I see (Winders?) new airfields so full of detail.

I will fly more British side, only just because they look less "circus" and much more "homely" there.

Rolling towards the hangars in the late summer evening sun, I would almost have the imagination, that a scent

from the kitchen might tell me, what we shall have for dinner this eve. The light in the cabin near my Nissen hut

would tell me, that Arthur is writing another letter to his wife. And Cecil might be in the hangar with the mechanics

and riggers to talk about possible ways of improvement on his kite.

And in the mess, I know there is an old French slightly out of tune piano - and it will do for the late evening songs

we all sing together, like "We haven't got a hope in the morning".

If that's not deepest immersion - and rarely any other sim or game could create that on me like "Over Flanders Fields".

Am I crazy? Yes. I'm a little bit as crazy as the young fellers that climbed into these crates of wire, wood and canvas.

Edited by Olham
  • Like 1

Holy crap! Words fail me. Thanks for the sneak peek. Glad I have a new box now capable of enjoying P4 to the fullest.

I'm really looking forward to this. Very impressive flying by the AI in there, and it looks realistic, too.

:drinks:

To be honest, I've already downloaded the video and have watched it directly from my machine - as opposed to on the website - numerous times. I am still especially amazed at how natural the aircraft aircraft turn and fly. It seems a bit less predictable and definately more lively when close to the ground. Between the incredible scenery updates, new highly detailed skins and cockpits, not to mention the wonderful flying, it all works together to bring the whole experience more to life! I'm back in the habit of checking the website every day now just in the hope yet another new video will be released, just like I did for P3. I'm sure many others have developed the same habit. Don't worry for a moment that interest and excitement is not as high as it was for the release of P3. For myself, I'm more excited than ever and I'm sure I'm not alone. Tell me when I can pre-order and I'll be all too happy to get that taken care of.

You've already exceeded most of my expectations of what was possible for OFF. My only two wishes left unconfirmed is that 1. it's possible to automatically disengage Warp flying at 2 miles from enemy contact instead of at 4 miles and 2. The dogfights, if possible, will stay up higher for a longer duration, so the AI won't be so quick to dive for the deck. However now that the AI flies so much better down low, even that is probably a mostly moot point. Regardless, I know I'll get far more than my money's worth out of P4.

P4 and Skyrim will no doubt be the two sims I play most for at least the next year, probably 2 - 3 years.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Cool guys the comments always help spur us on :)

The AI is new so this will affect various things including warp etc - the situation will change anyway Helllshade so we shall see.

Yes Olham no problem - I just wanted to pump the thread up higher above so many OT posts, so people who have not checked in the forum for a while will still see it, not because we think you are not commenting :)

"Cool guys the comments always help spur us on :)"

Pol, there's no doubting that P4 is going to look and run better than P3, but I'd be grateful to know what sort of recommendations you chaps have for a machine to actually run it! I'm certain that my PC will choke, and that would be a shame.

Having said that, there's little doubt that you've created - or are still creating - something extremely good out there, and I'll support you. I desperately hope that you've taken on board ideas about meaningful 2 seater spotting missions, some of the ommissions in the early years, especially 2 seaters, as well as other points.

It's clear that we're getting better maps and an astounding looking pilot manager. And I have to say that, by that video, the flames and smoke are - at last - pretty much right. I was astonished by the sight of the first aircraft that fell out of the sky leaving what lloked like a very realistic plume of smoke behind it.

Do we get French 2 seaters? Do we get home leave and transfers? I hae my tick list of must haves, many of which appear to have been catered for: the thing that keeps me wondering is the wish list that I also have. I wonder what you've developed but simply not sprung on us yet in order to achieve maximum effect when OFF P4 is finally released. A mouth watering, if frustrating, prospect.

Best,

Si

Sticky maybe?

Surely this is something that anyone visiting this site/forum would want to see!

• Like 1

Maybe I will move it to sticky soon - too many sticky posts though and some people seem to miss stickies.

Si we sure try our best but only so many hours in the day to make all things happen - so every one of the things you personally like are likely not be in there, but many will be I am sure. Many will take more time, which is our enemy always. There is more in P4 we have not discussed at all yet. Some other things will have to be in the future, addons or whatever.

I often quote the "hey were is my favourite aircraft [insert your favourite here] " will come up a lot we know very well what else we could add or is still missing, the problem is physically doing it!

P4 will obviously like any sim or game released 2 years on from the previous likely benefit from some upgraded PC parts, or or better PC to run again at full whack max settings. However we cannot release specifications until we have made the beta and optimised and tested to work all that out. Certainly a decent PC that worked well for P3 should run P4 but we shall see.

The AI is new so this will affect various things including warp etc - the situation will change anyway Helllshade so we shall see.

It's certainly not a "deal breaker" if auto-unwarp still occurs at 4 miles rather than 2. It would just be a nice feature. Same with having the fights stay up high longer. Frankly, from the looks of the videos, the low flying AI have no problem putting up a good fight now anyway. I have no doubts that every one of the Devs and assistants who are developing P4 have "plates" overflowing with things to be done. And I know that is true because you guys put your heart and soul into every line of code and model. Thanks to all of you for what you do. Don't worry about meeting every persons expectations. Just do what you know is right and I'm sure it'll surpass what any reasonable WWI flight sim fantatic could hope for. Then you'll make it even better with your usual after the sale outstanding customer service. It's just how you fellows operate.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Maybe I will move it to sticky soon - too many sticky posts though and some people seem to miss stickies.

Why not make the "P4 screenshots" sticky into "P4 Screenshots and Videos"?

It's locked and so wouldn't fall behind, and we could comment it down here.

Bump again for a good thread. I actually cut back my visits here because there were so many OT posts in the general OFF area.

Yeah, if it keeps up, I may start punting them to the pub. One in awhile is okay, but when it gets to the point where you can't see the painting for the graffiti...

The Shredder

In keeping with the bumpage theme. I noticed a little blurb in the video about the new squadron tracking. Are we talking about acturately recording ai squadmates that die in combat? Or perhaps tracking ai squadmates kills durring a mission? hmmmm currious.

Pol, what's it like to hold the carrot? I always seem to be the horse...:blink::rofl:

In keeping with the bumpage theme. I noticed a little blurb in the video about the new squadron tracking. Are we talking about acturately recording ai squadmates that die in combat? Or perhaps tracking ai squadmates kills durring a mission? hmmmm currious.

Pol, what's it like to hold the carrot? I always seem to be the horse...:blink::rofl:

Both....

WM

Both....

WM

How cool is that, man?!

This would be another giant step for an even more "realistic feeling" of being there with a crew,

living with them, and loosing some of them. I'm stunned!

I've watched the movie again a couple of times, trying to spot some details that I previously missed. I really like the look of the new campaign manager. It brings back a lot of good memories from the Red Baron days. That sim knew how to create wonderful immersion in its depiction of the Great War. Some of that is lacking in P3, but P4 looks like it's going to reinvent the whole meaning of immersion! :drinks:

Indeed! :drinks:

Kind of a longshot here, but I wonder, will the names of the crew members in multicrew aircraft, (observers-gunners),

be listed in the Squadron Roster as well?

Another thing that kind of bothered me, was the Zeppelin destruction...

I found it kind of cartoonish! :blink:

Please, I don't want to offend you, I know about the WiP state and that many effects are not final yet,

but I guess we all have seen the destruction of the Hindenburg and how the fire consumes the skin,

leaving the bare skeleton of the ship exposed...

Is there a possibility to have such kind of effect in the final product?