Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

OT: According to the Red Cross I'm a criminal

I've slaughtered thousands hundreds of soldiers, shot down uncounted planes, sunken ships, I killed barbaric hordes of Orcs and Gobblins, aliens and empire forces... in my defence I've saved, a dozen of times, human specie from total annihilation.

It seems that according to Red Cross, I'm violating international humanitarian law (IHL).

Me and 600 million of video game players.

Should I turn myself in to the international Hague court?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/six-hundred-million-gamers-could-be-war-criminals-red-cross-says/story-fn6bqpju-1226216867843

http://www.rcrcconference.org/docs_upl/en/Daily_Bulletin_3_EN.pdf

I wonder if they mean that seriously?

After all, if I can just PLAY the Great War without getting wounded or killed, and without killing anyone,

even my last well-conserved boyish brain cell wouldn't think of going to war in reality.

How ridiculous.

If we band together we can take them on the battlefield!

You read that too, huh? My first reaction was "Yep, I'm fecked..." but then I thought about it another way. I've single handedly won WWII, WWIII, Vietnam, like, 19 times easy... I think a little bit of genocide on the way can be overlooked. And that's not taking into consideration the future wars won against the Kilrathi, the Shivans, the Combine, hordes and hordes of Zombies and Infected... and the countless lives saved from that!

Pathetic!...these idiots get donations FFS...to help people who need it!...well, not from me ever again!!!

Here's a ponderer, if you were to take this seriously (and obviously no one is - thank god! :rofl:)

If we were to be placed under laws such as the Hague Conventions and Geneva Conventions, would we - being presently employed in simulated warfare between the years of 1914 and 1918, be subject to those laws which were in effect during said timeframe - or would we be subject to current world military law!

Also I must say that I find it very insulting that they are accusing me of being a War Criminal!

For example when I play realistic games such as ArmA 2 or Falcon 4 I always follow the rules of engagement - I don't go around shooting civillians in ArmA 2 or executing prisoners damn it!

I demand an apology right now!

Edited by MikeDixonUK

I really think their main problem is exactly the fact that we prefer sitting in front of our monitors. Surely they'd prefer having a generation like the one of WWI that went oh so happily at Flanders to be slaughtered while the generals kept having their brilliant ideas. The Red Cross never seemed to bother about any of that generals at the time, in fact at any time. Seems it's more "heroic" to kill for real than virtually. Well, they can have it, I'm not a hero, I'm a gamer.

• Like 2

Ridiculous. But not surprising.

Historically speaking, every belligerent of WW1 was practically competing with each other over who managed to break more rules of warfare. The conventions have never done a good job at regulating the business of death and destruction. That's just the way humans behave when fighting each other. Somebody will always break the rules, and that will be used as an excuse by the othes to do the same. And often there's no need for excuses, everybody just does it anyway.

"Inter arma enim silent leges."

LIES!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE ALWAYS RESPECTED GENEVA CONVENTION WHEN KILLING SOMEONE VIRTUALLY!!!!

(...how could they know??)

:grin:

I wrote the Red Cross off in '07 after the Katrina scandals surfaced.

plug_nickel

I played Total War as the Aztezs - historically correct. I wonder how many years I get for that.

• Like 1

Something not considered by this though: What about the number of virtual lives saved?

I'm actually Emperor of the World several times - so who cares what they think? :grin:

Just curious. Does that job pay very well? :salute:

At the risk of ticking somebody off, I noticed the Red Crescent was involved in this... I think they have some housecleaning to do in their respective homelands before they come crying to us about the Geneva Conventions, "war crimes" and "rules of engagement" in video games!

Until they do, the may apply their carefully-pursed lips to my exposed derriere!

Edited by HumanDrone

Damn them all...I hardly consider wiping out an entire Village in a 'cleansing' type way in Rome Total War...makes me a bad person!.....the damn Gauls asked for it!....Attacking my Fortifications!...bloody savages!

Mmmmm. Steady on....

Isn't this just talk?

We all know there are 'sensibilities' within certain cultures, and it's not going to help the cause of world peace if one culture spends it's R&R time squatting over someone elses culture and taking a dump on it for fun. You don't have to like a particular culture, but showing just a tiny tiny little bit of respect isn't going to kill you. I can see circumstances when intelligent rational conversation is a good idea. And before we go charging down the Muslim fundamentalist route, there's already evidence of this closer to hand. Crank up your vanilla CFS3 and count how many nazi swastikas you should see but actually don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides at all, but this does seem like a discussion which 'somebody' is bound to have had sooner or later. As our computer games get better and better and more convincing, the potential for causing offence will get more and more explicit. We've already had outrage expressed at images of IRA terrorists shooting down helicopters. For some people, saying 'it's just a game' is not really going to cut much ice.

I take it they got bored in Geneva... me I will not and have not supported the Red Cross and its many forms since the early 90's for a few damn good reasons... and tonight I must have commited enough crimes to land me in prison 10 times over for 10 lifetimes with a few years to spare... and thats just playing Skyrim and killing Vampires muhahaha after I fixed my own little vamperism problem. Sounded like he was surrendering collapsed to the floor still alive or undead...

Now there's a question if he's undead can he be alive?

Anyway I fixed whichever problem and sent him to whichever god with a good old fashioned flaming blade to the chest area... oh and then I hacked him up a bit afterwards (he had annoyed me) then stole all his equipment and that was just one fight in a 4 hour session!!! :blink:

I personally feel offended in my freedom of burning worlds and eradicating species! By the way, can someone recommend me a good gladiators game? Now, I feel the need of cutting throats, and being applauded and cheered for that!!!

If we were to be placed under laws such as the Hague Conventions and Geneva Conventions, would we - being presently employed in simulated warfare between the years of 1914 and 1918, be subject to those laws which were in effect during said timeframe - or would we be subject to current world military law!

Have you ever noticed that War Criminals only exist on the losing side of the war? The winning side only has patriots and heroes. Furthermore, the winning side always claims that it had either God or Destiny on it's side all along and point to their win as proof. Nevermind the poor basterds who bled, cried and died to bring about that victory.

Hellshade

Have you ever noticed that War Criminals only exist on the losing side of the war? The winning side only has patriots and heroes. Furthermore, the winning side always claims that it had either God or Destiny on it's side all along and point to their win as proof. Nevermind the poor basterds who bled, cried and died to bring about that victory.

Hellshade

Absolutely...and thats the difference between a Terrorist, and a Freedom Fighter.....It just depends which side you're on

Well they gonna catch me first muhahahaha and then I declare the court illegal... No more donations from me..

They can have my copy of OFF when they pry it loose from my cold, dead fingers.

I already see the future of war games. Everybody will add the role of a Red Cross (Crescent) nurse in every ego shooter to keep it legal. Then every gamer will be able to claim: "I don't kill anybody in Modern Warfare, I just care for the wounded!" BTW, running in white high heels though a battlefield is really something new!!

Good to see a lot of familiar names still on this forum. I don't think that the inclusion of some humanitarian guidelines would be a bad thing in gaming. In Arma2 shooting friendlies and non-combatants is definitely frowned upon. If you can go crazy and start shooting innocent villagers your own guys will take you out. That game has also introduced the idea of a wounded soldier who dies if he doesn't receive aid within a certain time frame. This gives the player something else to think about besides just shooting and blowing up the bad guys. Do you try to help your fallen comrade and risk getting 'shot' yourself? Can you drag him under cover and then help him before it's too late? This introduces a moral element in what can be a pretty uncaring enterprise. It forces the player out of the static run and gun mind set of ordinary gaming. There might actually be benefit, in my opinion, to carry this a little farther by adding other ethical elements to a game, optional of course. Most of us play the sim type of game because they are not only fun but educational too. It wouldn't hurt to learn what constitutes war crime and what the rights are of combatants and non-combatants as well. If done properly games might actually become more interesting.