Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: STALKER 2 Cancelled

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:suicide2:

And another Noooooooooooooooooo from me!!! Damn it this was probably one of the best FPS around nothing linear even though you had a goal at the end but it allowed you to go wander everywhere else before you got there unlike COD etc driving you down a set route... also the atmosphere for this game is damn amazing and sometimes downright weird... loved the poltergeists...

Shame, real shame...

I'm now re-playing the first part, it's one of the best FPS around, the AI is incredible.

:sad:

Stalker was easily the best FPS/RPG of the decade. Now we'll just get more CoD-clones marketed towards the lowest common denominator american audience. f*** the current state of gaming.

Shame, real shame...

I'm now re-playing the first part, it's one of the best FPS around, the AI is incredible.

:sad:

Also some of the mods available are fantastic... and make the AI even more formidable... :yikes:

I like the "Complete" series of mods. This is a big disappointment, though.

Now we'll just get more CoD-clones marketed towards the lowest common denominator american audience.

Not if I have anything to say about it! :salute:

BTW, how can they call it stalker 2? There's three games out already.

The newer fallout's are similar as is borderlands, more RPG elements, but the core open world with mutants and scavenging to survive in a desolate environment is still there. Haven't played Rage, but I think that's pretty open too.

not like Stalker from what I've read

Stalker 2 because the previous titles had they own names? And were sort of continualtion/prequel of the SOC story?

any by the way, Eastern Europeans do know how to optimise game engines. Oh, just recalled Cliffs of Dover, so I take it back :tongue:

@JM: 1.0006, Complete 2009 doesn't work for me, polish localized version :sad:

I quote Unlucky Alf from the nineties 'Fast Show'......

Oh bugger!

Hrm, well I find them satisfying in the same way.

If they didn't think a PC only game was feasible, why not release it for the consoles too? Hell any game will sell like mad on them, all you need is pretty advertisements and the 14 year olds will go crazy waiting for it. No need to sacrifice PC gameplay, just directly port the PC to xbox and they'll still love it.

I can't speak for their game engine's ease of doing that, but I know alot of modern packages make it pretty easy to do multiple platforms. I'm using Unity, and it's basically a one click deal when you want to make a build.

all you need is pretty advertisements and the 14 year olds will go crazy waiting for it

I don't really think that 14 y.o console gamers would fully appreciate Stalker, lack of instant gratification and hordes of dumb enemies spawning in front of crosshair. With the gameplay that rewards stealth, slow gameplay, and patience (the way I play Stalker series anyway) it wouldn't be blockbuster among teenager gun'n'run "pros" I think

It still sold over 2 million... The problem isn't the hordes of xbox-playing american mouth-breathing, attention-deficit syndrom-riddled, profanity spewing teenagers. Those were around even back when I played a lot of CS and even the Quake days, and they were just as retarded then. The problem is that now everything is about big franchise names (just look at how EA sticks "Bioware" onto everything because it's a beloved brand) and a percieved need to pander to the widest market imaginable, which of course means dumbing down the content to fit the lowest common denominator. Everybody and their mother shat themselves when Modern Warfare made over a billion dollars, and everybody wants a slice of that pie. So all we get now are shallow games based on the CoD formula. Of course, the mere fact a game like Chtulhu Saves The World or Frozen Synapse can be a smash hit proves how much BS the big publisher marketing arguments are. It's all about opening week profit for them.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons I love steam. My father and friends bitch about it constantly, but it's really given indie games and smaller studios an outlet to customers without falling prey to the big publishers and their MBA bean counter mentality (Which is the same across any industry and root cause of any business going bad)

Well now there's also other outlets such as GOG and Direct2Drive. Also what interests me is how there now exists funding alternatives to the traditional publisher route such as 8-bit funding and Steam crowd-sourcing.

Slarti I think (hope) that someone will pick it up, so it's good news

I've found all the STALKER games hard to start, but hard to STOP once you're into it. The first 5-10 hrs of playing any of the 3 always leaves me feeling like "ah, I'll go do something else instead." After I'm about 15 hrs in, it's "gotta get back in there and search around those anomalies in the SW" and "hope I make it back to camp before it gets dark". :grin:

Big fat holy necrothread just to let you stalker fans know that this amazing game is going to resurrect in the form of a free-to-play MMO, "survivarium" to appear in end of 2013:

http://survarium.com/en/

All the free to play games (that I know) developped by eastern developpers are excellent (Rise of flight, World of tanks) so this could be really worthy

Edited by Nix

Eh. This may or may not work. It won't be STALKER, it will be a copy. So you will have different factions, the whole Chernobyl thing is out in favor of a new McGuffin...

I'm not saying it will fail, I'm just saying it's like as if the team that made the X-Wing games then went and made the Wing Commander games. Sure, it's similar, but it's not the original.

Eh. This may or may not work. It won't be STALKER, it will be a copy. So you will have different factions, the whole Chernobyl thing is out in favor of a new McGuffin...

I'm not saying it will fail, I'm just saying it's like as if the team that made the X-Wing games then went and made the Wing Commander games. Sure, it's similar, but it's not the original.

We don't know at this stage but judging from the pictures, stalker/survivarium developpers do not seem to be changing much which looks promising

Well it certainly sounds interesting. The freeplay and coop modes sound like they'll be what people gravitate towards. And a persistent world might be better than session based for a kind of open ended survival FPS. Think eve online, but on earth.

Still, there's just something about single player survival games that can't quite be duplicated in multiplayer.