Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Hard Landing...

He's trying to think of a good explanation for his C.O.

Try my engine stalled when I was 20 Feet up. It's rather surprizing that the wing gave out, yet the landing gear is in one piece

Edited by abyss

Try explaining this

God, I love this photo. I first saw it on a poster in the 70's. The caption was: "Aviation is not inherently dangerous, but even more that the sea, it is unforgiving of any carelessness or neglect" I did not buy the poster and later wished I had. Many times. I mentioned it on this Forum, hoping someone could point me to a place that still sold it. While nobody could help find the poster, several people sent URL's to photo archives that had very similar pictures. All dealing with an airplane fetched up in a tree which is the only tree in a large empty field. So how does this happen? Didn't the pilot see the tree? About a year ago, I read an account of why. This explanation dealt with automobile accidents in which it was clear that the accident was going to happen, but the drivers plowed into each other anyway. It seems that the reason is that in a crisis, you can't look away. To avoid the accident you must look away, in the direction you need to go, but, in the event, your fear keeps you looking directly at the oncoming disaster.

I can't explain the second one but the first is clear enough, it was an invisible tree!

'This idiot in an Albatros just pulled out right in front of me!'

'This idiot in an Albatros just pulled out right in front of me!'

Who - me? :grin:

The second picture is a situation that gets explained in several books of WW1 pilots.

The flying scholars usually got big old crows, which were not at all agile.

It was rather sluggish to change your course, when the craft had little speed.

Which happens when you go for landing it.

Last moment attempts to change your course at your landing descent could make the

craft react so slow, that your counter-actions might finally make you hit a single tree

despite all your struggle - to your most embarrasment of course.

Hauksbee:

"A little duct tape and she'll be as good as new, sir."

abyss:

Perhaps that tree is a larger version of Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree.

Hey, that looks like my typical Nupe landing in a certain WW1 flight sim! :grin:

The pilot doesn't look very proud of his situation.

Hi,

is this a N 17, and a B.E.2 ?

Sorry, but everytime i look at pictures of WW1 i immediately try to identify the type .. lol

The second one reminds me of the french truck that directly hit the only tree near Tamanrasset in the Sahara, for some thousand miles lol

Greetings,

Wels

:blink:The JN 4 maybe: It grew right in front of me or I didnt see it !

The Other may be: The plane must be a lemmon or The wheels are suppose to touch the ground ?

I dunno it just fell apart after I came to a stop. It must be a factory defect. :grin:

He's no doubt blaming Michelin for making a crappy tire, causing his groundloop :)

For those who enjoy IDing things

It's one of these, and the guy behind the gun is Président Nicolas Sarkozy, demonstrating what's likely to be the French Air Force's replacement for the Mirage 2000, as a result of the Eurozone crisis.

post-67404-0-75620700-1322760780.jpg

Edited by 33LIMA

Damn, LIMA - I only see a mile of cryptic data here! What have you got wrong???

Edit: Ah, I see - you changed it.

Edited by Olham

....demonstrating what's likely to be the French Air Force's replacement for the Mirage 2000, as a result of the Eurozone crisis.

I think it would be great, (as an austerity measure) to go back to string-bag biplanes for all the world's Air Forces.

I think it would be great, (as an austerity measure) to go back to string-bag biplanes for all the world's Air Forces.

That's not really austere because you'd need so damn many of them (and all their pilots and support staff) to do the same thing as 1 modern plane.

But what's going to happen is, they'll be replacing all manned planes with drones before too long.

they'll be replacing all manned planes with drones before too long.

True,True . . think of the savings in weight no longer needing to support life. Also the effective operating ceiling, to say nothing of the possible High "G" manuvers, and no more money spent on pilot training programs. . . for fighters anyway . . . and spy birds

Humans are still needed for the Transport Aircraft, as well as in support roles for the drones

There's even two types of drones

Totally Unmanned . .that can be programed to patrol a set area, and deal with "situations" as it sees fit

And those that still utilize a human pilot . . but in a Remote Location . . flying by satellite

In both cases skulldugery abounds