Sign in to follow this  
Dunois

Adding objects on maps

Hello

I didn't saw this subject in the forums.

If I want to add precisely objects on maps what I can do simply?

To compare and be more explicite, I fly also IL2 fully modded, and I'm able to zoom in thru mission editor to place exactly where I want stationnary and moving objects.

In SF2 we can't zoom enough to place stationary or moving objects accuratly.

Also in IL2 I use the unlocked FMB, which allows me to add or remove objects on maps, allways by zooming until I get precise view to place the new objects.

My purpose is not to redo maps (seems to be a huge work as in IL2, and real life gives not enough time to do so), but to add some objects in missions, and also customize a little bit my maps.

Thanks in advance

You can locate and place objects within 1 meter from within the game. To do so, you must activate the HUD-debug option (from within the HUD.ini), launch the game, toggle control + f12 to allow free-fly view, and use the mouse to "fly" to wherever you want on the map. The debug screen will provide you with X,Y, and Z coordinates for object placement.

It's admittedly crude, but our veteran terrain modders have been sucessfully placing terrain objects this way for years.

Ok Thanks a lot

For ex. in IL2 Normal settings allows me to place stationnary objects for one mission, if I want to change permanently objects in a map, I must change some lines in Config.ini to get unlock FMB, and when job is done revert to normal ini to play game.

1 is the changes applying only for the current mission or for the map itself?

2 Is the hud ini as to be reverted to normal state to play the game or it could be leaved permanently like this.

Thanks in advance

1 is the changes applying only for the current mission or for the map itself?

2 Is the hud ini as to be reverted to normal state to play the game or it could be leaved permanently like this.

Thanks in advance

1) The changes can apply to the map, irregardless of mission or campaign (objects can be made service date-sensitive). You can, however use the same coordinates to add mission-only ground objects, in a scripted mission. We do this all the time :grin:

2) The HUD debug mode can be toggled thru, but its startup default is to display debug data.

From what I've gathered from your questions, you may want to look into the DLC mission editor from Third Wire (if you have not done so already). It makes things so much easier.

Thanks again , I already have the mission editor with SF2 Europe exp 2.

But may be a stupid question : where HUD ini is located? I'have seen nothing dedicated to HUD in inis files In the registred parties folder. And I didn't see also an openable file in main game folder. There is a HUD.dll in flight folder that's the only thing with the word HUD I saw in all game folders, but as a newcomer in the game may be I missed something....

Actually, there's an tutorial in the 1stGen Knowledge Base....

Suggested Reading:

http://combatace.com/topic/44621-adding-objects-to-your-target-areas/

suggested download (for the Word doc inside):

http://combatace.com/files/file/4522-shipwreck/

Edited by Wrench

Ok thanks very much.

I understand now the process, interresting but time consumering! I think in the future a more powerful mission builder enabling zooming in, until map beeing replaced by aerial view like IL2 Fmb, will be welcomed by average user like me and experts modders like you mates.

By the way as we are speaking about maps, I have a weard phenomena on three downloaded Maps: Iran-Irak 8O's, Lybia and Falklands. In those three maps Runways, taxiways, and parkings are not showing up! all objects seems to be here... I've downloaded also Mescalero proving grounds, and in this case it's perfect!

Falklands is in a separate install, and the others in SF2 Europe. Looks like those maps search for an missing objects library not present in the stock game?

they ALL use stock objects .... I'll bet you don't have SF2, with the Desert terrain and the Desert.cat, to which these terrains are "pointing" to.

Re-read the readme -- expecially for Libya, Iran/Iraq. They're quite detailed in the "To Install" sections; with particular note on the "Selecting The Proper Cat File" section.

If anybody knows, it's me. :grin:

as to a full 3d, 'step into the picture to place the object' mission builder. Ain't never gonna happen.

Again thanks for the time and explanations.

The four maps were downloaded only few days ago, and I started by Mescalero proving grounds, where no specific work was necessary to point at specifc Cat files, anyway all is okay now, except one thing I discovered in setting up a mission in Libya: both on Libya and Iran/Irak, ships (stock and modded ones)don't appear on ground objets menu? And in differents readmes there is nothing about this subject.

I guess if we were close neighbours, all this shoud deserve some pints at the nearest pub.....

the maps were released before (well, actually, for SF1, and modded up) SF2 required what's called a '_water.bmp'.

I don't remember where they are exactly, but terrain specific (ie: named and shaped to fit!) ones are available around here someplace. Check this thread....

http://combatace.com/topic/60932-formats-for-carriers-and-warship-with-the-mission-editor/page__pid__537369__st__100#entry537369

don't know if the various _water.bmp(s) are still posted as attachments.

if not, use the 'cheat' mentioned near the end of the thread. It's not perfect, but it will get things working. You'll just have to be very carefull in poisitioning your CVs --- the planning maps will show you where the sea is.