i guess he do not accept free help due to some legal issue.

Is the correct answer.

Is the correct answer.

which is?

Well, I would think he has other avenues rather than just "free".

He could compensate the artist with a free copy of the game or some small fee. He couldn't give $40? There's some unionized pay scale he can't violate or something?

Maybe combine it with advertizing for that artist in the credits ie "DDG textures by OlMamasBoy, other mods available at olmamasboy.com" or something like that. Many people do that...you provide a sample for free in return for free ads for your business. So they texture a ship for free, TK pimps their site for free where they could sell mods for SF2. Like Prowler maybe?

Let's face it, if there's one thing you can't credit TK with, it's thinking outside the box...and it's usually a box of his own creation. :blink:

I mean, he finally got on the DLC bandwagon, and while I appreciate the idea of making extra ships DLC (because let's face it, you don't need them, they're purely there to enhance the game and that's what DLC is perfect for) I think his reticence to accept help implies a distinct lack of trust in others.

his reticence to accept help implies a distinct lack of trust in others.

EAW...

[Han Solo]

Well that was a long time ago, I'm sure he's forgotten about that by now...

[/Han Solo]

Beta testers were offered a copy of the Gold Title... He Shipped me WoV (Gen 1) in Mini Box before switching to Direct Download and cutting out the publishers, which have screwed him over more times than I can count.

Something that could prevent him from accepting texture help is the continuity of the game "look". I'll assume DanW is doing much of the texture work. Suppose The Crayola Bandit took on the rest of the ships DanW couldn't finish, how would you explain the obvious sore thumb sticking out? Or the opposite could happen and you have a DDG that is light years ahead of the rest and you get the same thing.

That's why studios have art tests for junior artists...

I think you miss the point. In the mainstream developer side of the game industry, studios have art departments. In the Thirdwire universe, DanW is the art department. If anyone here can match his artistic style so as not to disrupt the texture continuity, I'm sure they would have a place for you. Every artist has their own virtual thumbprint. Major studios have a variety of artists and can absorb the inconsistencies easier because everything is unique while Thirdwire games appear as if they're made by one person.

I think you miss the point. In the mainstream developer side of the game industry, studios have art departments. In the Thirdwire universe, DanW is the art department. If anyone here can match his artistic style so as not to disrupt the texture continuity, I'm sure they would have a place for you. Every artist has their own virtual thumbprint. Major studios have a variety of artists and can absorb the inconsistencies easier because everything is unique while Thirdwire games appear as if they're made by one person.

No I don't. Even in the smallest of indie projects, you will have some kind of art direction which any artists, in-house or remote, will have to conform to. Learning to adapt to fit styles is something every artist who thinks about going professional needs to do. And TBH there's not like there is any real texture consistency in the game outside of the aircraft themselves since except for the aircraft, most of the content still dates back to SFP1 days.

My personal opinion is that TK rather cutting entire modelled units than hiring temporary help is due to him being incredibly averse to doing anything that would require him coming out of his 10-years-and-counting comfort zone.

My personal opinion is that TK rather cutting entire modelled units than hiring temporary help is due to him being incredibly averse to doing anything that would require him coming out of his 10-years-and-counting comfort zone.

You hit the nail on the head Jules. He is comfortable with the way the sim is. As much as we think he might need to move forward for lack of a better phrase, he likes it the way it is. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our comfort zones. This sim is his comfort zone. We can speculate all we want but in the end he has always done what he wants to do. Can't please everyone.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Remind me what this thread was about?

D'oh! A Tomcat title not being cooked on Christmas! We're on page 46th of this interesting discussion, but hey! I'd like to see some new Tomcat shots

Remind me what this thread was about?

D'oh! A Tomcat title not being cooked on Christmas! We're on page 46th of this interesting discussion, but hey! I'd like to see some new Tomcat shots

Me too.....someone ask TK is we can have some more.

No I don't. Even in the smallest of indie projects, you will have some kind of art direction which any artists, in-house or remote, will have to conform to. Learning to adapt to fit styles is something every artist who thinks about going professional needs to do. And TBH there's not like there is any real texture consistency in the game outside of the aircraft themselves since except for the aircraft, most of the content still dates back to SFP1 days.

I must not be seeing the same things that you are. Much of what I see belongs to Dan's brush work. You are jabbering on about industry norms while I'm trying to explain that Thirdwire is not f***ing normal. Want a perfect illustration of my point? Look at all the stock terrains and then look at the WOI terrain textures. Not like it matters much anyway. If you think TK is too lazy to finish his work - great, I'm not defending him. I think I hit a nerve with you or somehow stepped on your ego so, if you say that I'm wrong, then that must be gospel.

• Like 2

The United Game Industries Federation will shut him down and all copies of SF will be declared illegal, 17 market policy and laws violations and copyright theft, and we will all be interrogated by Lockheed Martin, Boeing, ms, EA, and ubisoft agents, if he accepts community contribution. Seriously, apart from the hobby level sometimes the business side of things is more bizare than we usually know. You just never know. I personally somehow understand why a developer like that perefers to keep total control of the thing, as much as it makes sense to work together with the community talents in any kind of reward or not scheme. Can't really blame the choice despite my preference for him utilizing the community potential.

I must not be seeing the same things that you are. Much of what I see belongs to Dan's brush work. You are jabbering on about industry norms while I'm trying to explain that Thirdwire is not f***ing normal.

No you don't have a point. If it's DanW's artstyle that is the direction then any other art will match that style, regardless of whom the artist is. That's how it always gets done. So clearly that is not why TW won't hire anybody.

I think his reticence to accept help implies a distinct lack of trust in others.

I don't think I've ever mentioned this to anyone except BLTDAN...

Back when TK worked with Destineer to make WoE, I and several others here were on the official beta test team. This was more formal than TKs normal beta tests were, in that we used a web based bug-tracking tool. Anyway, one of the producers at Destineer saw my old website and contacted me via email, which resulted in us talking on the phone a couple of times. He was really fired up that the games had such a following, and was impressed with the work that the modders had done to the point where he wanted to either include some community work in the game, or possibly have a selection of official community mods available on their website. This never went beyond a couple of conversations, and I was clear with him that we in the community didn't want to step on TKs toes or get in his way. It makes me wonder what would have happened if TK had taken a different approach back then when he had an actual publisher and his games were in stores.

And.....just a smidgen of a Tomcat 'pit screenie

Edited by Fubar512

OOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEE :clapping:

#thetimeisnigh

SidDogg

"Ghost Rider, this is Strike. We have unknown aircraft inbound Mustang. Your vector zero-nine-zero for bogey."

Craig

Edit: hold up, F-4's are AI only :S

I don't remember this screenshot:

sf2na010.JPG

I hope it's an ini edit only and the aircraft are not part of the ship LOD.

FC

aircraft carrier = mobile runway (maybe runwy 7??)

if it's a NEW parking structure, can't help but wonder if the other boats get a tweek as well. Can't wait to start pulling GO and terrain inis....