Sign in to follow this  
Nesher

U.S. Marine Corp

hey ya all

how is everybody doin'? :biggrin:

Are the Marines part of branch in the Navy?

i know it's a core operating on it's on but it belongs to the navy or something like that

so if you kindly explain me about the Core i would appreciate it alot

btw, i can't enter the Marine Corp official website for some unknown reason

thanks guys :cool:

P.S.

Marine Corp OWNS ;)

(and the rest of the U.S military :))

hey ya all

how is everybody doin'?  :biggrin:

Are the Marines part of branch in the Navy?

i know it's a core operating on it's on but it belongs to the navy or something like that

so if you kindly explain me about the Core i would appreciate it alot

btw, i can't enter the Marine Corp official website for some unknown reason

thanks guys  :cool:

P.S.

Marine Corp OWNS ;)

(and the rest of the U.S military :))

Yes Nesher, The Marines are a Department of the Navy. Our Budget is directly attached to thiers. I was an active Marine for 6 years. The history goes way way back as far as Marines serving on ships as security forces. Check out the Movie Masters and Commanders and you'll see a good portrayal of the historic role of a Marine.

BirdDogg.

I might add that the Marines have always been an all volunteer force; you dont join unless you WANT to. Ive served both as a Marine and in the Navy and I like to refer to my military time as time in the "Sea Service", That way I cover both easily, both being part of the same military department as Birddog mentioned.

Master and Commander refers to the British navy FYI, but Birddog is correct; it is a very accurate portrayal of the traditional role of the Marine as sea-going infantry. They would help defend the ship, mainly from the "tops" as marksmen, and form the "shock" corps in any boarding or landing parties. Marines are still based on major combatants like Carriers. They were also onboard Battleships and Cruisers until a short while ago. Last cruiser I beleive was the 6th fleet flagship in the Med back in 1979.

thanks for the answers guys... :)

i'll watch that movie if i get the chance..

Cheers

Yes the Corps is a department of the Navy..it's the MENS department.The Corps history started as teh assult force on Ships of war..they were to be used as sharp shooters in teh rigging and used to make assults on enemy ships.From there they became the forces used to landings and security on ships of war.Over the years times have changed but the Corps remains as the best fighting force in the world.Wars and missions have changed but the brotherhood shared by ALL Marines will never change,

Ok, you must know I have to put my two cents worth, don't you?

Yes, the Marines are a department of the US Navy. It's a little known "fact" that the Marines were created so the sailors could have someone to dance with.

Heh, heh.

Standing by for incoming..............

Navy Chief

hey Chief...yes but you failed to meantion that WE always lead :victory:

Hey Dagger,

Somehow I just KNEW you were going to respond! Heh, heh.....

One memory I have of Marines being on the carrier, is that they used to be in charge of the brigs aboard ship.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that is the case nowadays. Seems like I recall an incident involving mistreatment of some sailors in a brig onboard a carrier, back in the early 80s? I can't remember the details, but I believe that as a result, the Marines were no longer tasked with brig duty.

I am sure they still maintain security though.

NC

Well, if I remember my Navy days correctly and the "dancing", the Marines needed better boot camp training as far as leading was concerned. Now, as to keeping my boots shined and my coffee mug filled, they did an outstanding job :lol::victory:

Whew! I am running for cover on that remark!!!

NC

OK Fellas; I got to get in on this. I just want to say hello to my Sea Service buddies and let them know that the best Marine is a Submarine and the sailors that man that Boat.

It is always nice to have a Marine around, when you need a Sea Going Bellhop to carry a sailors Sea Bag. Glad to help Chief!

former PO1, Submarine and Surface qualed; Fair Winds and Following Seas

Jim

Good to hear from you Boomer.

AMEC(AW) PC Ward, USN, Retired

aka

Navy Chief

Oh the things I want to say but since this is a family site I'll keep this to myself... :biggrin: gota admit this is a GREAT forum...This is why I missed having the Chief around.

:nono:

Nesher, now see what you've gone and done. I've been being good, not saying a thing but ,well I cant resist.

On the carriers we used the Seagoing Bellhops to run the brig and guard the special magazines. I cant say too many mean things as I've got Marines in my familiy and my uncle who was a POW in the Pacific was my hero. Even though he was a Marine.

See even an ordie can be nice.

Semper Fi guys and IYAOYAS.

Hey Guys,

I feel guilty about my Marine bashing; are there any Puddle Jumpers in the House?

Jim

The nice thing about being in both branches of the sea service was you got to laugh at everyone's comments, hehehe. :rofl:

hey Chief...yes but you failed to meantion that WE always lead

LOL yep,but it was the Sailors who had the 13 button front.................

I might add that the Marines have always been an all volunteer force; you dont join unless you WANT to.

I hate to bust this little fantasy but there have been times where even MARINES had to take draftees,namely in ww2 and during nam..I know this from my own experience at Ft Hamilton NY,we were being readied to be sworn in and a few guys were taken outside the room,they were told they were going be sworn in asd MARINES...they were put on a different bus,one going to south carolina but not to Ft Jackson,does MCRD Parris Isaland sound familiar to you MARINES....other than those two occasions I do believe the MARINES were all Volunteer forces...

My brother is in the US Marine Corps. If things go well for him he looks like he might make Marine Force Recon. From what I know of the Marines and Navy they are by far the toughest class of warriors in this world. I have so much respect for the Marines they have my respect to the highest degree. :cool:

Edited by lexicon

My brother is in the US Marine Corps. If things go well for him he looks like he might make Marine Force Recon. From what I know of the Marines and Navy they are by far the toughest class of warriors in this world. I have so much respect for the Marines they have my respect to the highest degree.  :cool:

Hey lexicon,

Them NAVY Special Warfare guys are pretty tough themselves; I am talking about the Navy's SEALs and all those that came before them; NCDU and UDT teams, Scouts and Raiders, EOD, etc. Us old Navy Vets are just having some fun. Please do not take it personaly. My Daddy was a UDT frogman and fought in the Iwo Jima and Okinowa campaigns. My older Cuz was a Marine Foward Observer in Vietnam. I am a proud Cold Warrior, having made many patrols on submarines. I have also worked for and with Marines. The important thing these days is Navy/Marine teamwork; Forward from the Sea.

boomer714

while I do enjoy the interservice rivalry the Navy and the Corps have a unique relationship and bring to bear the most awsome tactic in warfare..the combined arms assult.envopement by land,sea and air.while the services do have their moments it is when combined as one they really show their potential.the firepower brought to bear in just 1 amphibious assult task force is overwhelming,and is an awsome sight to see.