Sign in to follow this  
dixieflyer

Issues With Setting Up in Windows 7

I bought BHaH a good while back (couple of years?), installed CFS3, patched it, and then installed and set up OFF-BHaH. No problems. My PC then was not really up to the task of running it well, so I quit. Well, I got my PC re-built and it now has a new processor, but it also has Windows 7. (Arrrgh, I hates it, I was running XP before and it was great.) Anyway, I thought I'd try this again. I installed CFS3, then patched it. I went to install OFF-BHaH, and during the install, it tells me some of the info it needs is encrypted. I never saw this prompt before during my installation of BHaH, in fact, I've never seen it during any installation. The only thing that is different now than before is that I'm running Windows 7.

Have y'all ever run into this issue before? I checked the FAQ and didn't see this as an issue, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Help . . . please?

Thanks!

Warren

Are you doing everying as administrator? By this I mean did you right click the bhah setup exe (whatever it's called) and select "Run as Administrator?"

That has been the biggest issue I've found with Win7.

I have to believe there are other bhah folks around here running Win7......

I run Win 7 64 bit and don't remember getting that message during install. The only thing I had to do was run it as administrator like DQ said.

I'm not a tech guy but if it was me I'd try disabling any anti virus software and try again.

Thanks pards. It's weird, the first time I ever installed it, everything just clicked along with no problem. Last night I got that pop-up prompt, and I've NEVER gotten that prompt in installing any game before.

Maybe I should just delete everything and start over again?

Warren

Well, I tried doing this after running CFS3 as an administrator, still no joy. Oh well, guess it's off to try another game/sim from another time period to see if it will work.

Thanks for your help, time, and advice.

Warren

I shouldn't give up yet, m8. Bear in mind that people are busy with other things this time of year and not logging on and seeing your post. We've got some really knowledgeable guys here who will solve this for you - just be patient.

Not the CFS3 install, the BHaH install.

Or.....post a screen shot of the prompt.

Edited by DoctorQuest

See if you have Bitlocker enabled and if so, disable and try reinstalling BHaH again.

plug_nickel

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have Bitlocker. What is it? I'm running the same security/anti-virus/ anti-malware program I had during my first install, so that's not it. (That was my first thought.) I can't think of anything that is running or installed on this computer that wasn't running before the rebuild with the exception of Windows 7 (which I have come to hate, wish I had my XP back.)

Doctor Quest, I can't run the BhaH install as an admin because I can't get it installed. It locks up and says there is a file that it is trying to extract that is encrypted. I have to assume it's a CFS3 file.

Tranquillo, I haven't given up entirely, but just for now because, as you said, many folks are off doing other things. So, I'll give it a few days and see how it looks. (And yes, you're right there are a LOT of knowledgeable folks on here, and nice to boot!)

Warren

Edited by dixieflyer

Bitlocker is a supplement to W7's Encryption File System. It's not an a.v. or an external security program.

Depending on how the o.s. was initially setup, it may be turned on.

Go to Control Panel >

System & Security >

Bitlocker Drive Encryption >

Check to see if it's enabled on the drive and disable it. You can enable once you're finished.

plug_nickel

Thanks Bit Locker. I've gone in, and the only thing I've found is "manage file encryption certificates". It says I don't have a certificate, and did I want to create one. Is this what you're talking about?

Warren

Edited by dixieflyer

Doctor Quest, I can't run the BhaH install as an admin because I can't get it installed. It locks up and says there is a file that it is trying to extract that is encrypted. I have to assume it's a CFS3 file.

Warren

First of all, Bitlocker would only be present on your system if you had Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise. I doubt this is the case. You're probably running a different version.

When you say you can't run the BHaH install as an Admin because you can't get it installed, this is a bit confusing. What has been suggested is that you make sure you are either LOGGED IN as administrator prior to the install, or right-click the installation executable and choose "Run As Administrator" from the dropdown menu.

It would probably also be prudent to disable ANY and ALL Anti-virus/Malware utilities you may have running when you attempt the install, just in case one of them is causing the issue, regardless of your previous success.

HTH

Parky

Edited by Parky

It could also be a new DVD reader with a problem reading the disk. Try copying all files off the DVD - if it has errors even doing that maybe it needs cleaning ore maybe the DVD reader doesn't like it, or maybe the disk is now scratched etc.

Also if you are overclocking then it could be by too much for your CPU /cooling so it corrupts as it unpacks (the data is very compressed and will use the CPU a lot during decompressiob).