Sign in to follow this  
amariani

I need a new joystick

can't EVER go wrong with CH products!!!!

I got CH pedals, Saitek X-52, Belkin n52 minipad, and Track IR 5. Love my X-52 but have tried Dave's CH rig and it is sweet. Hope it helps.

Good and cheap?

Sorry, you can only choose one of the above. :grin:

My suggestion?

PackHotasWarthog800x600_2.jpg

:good:

I was thinking about this one, but read some bad reviews like buttons that fall off or stop working after a few weeks!?

Which is true, as I bought it on leave and when I came back to Egypt one of the buttons did break off. It can be broken into two pieces but I'd suggest when traveling to wrap the handle in an extra piece of padding or something similar.

Strange that nobody mentioned the thrustmaster T16000. It's simply the best cheap joystick.

In pricey range the best are the G940 and the Warthog, but for 40$ the T16000 is the best, and by far, period.

Edited by Nix

Here I am mostly copy-pasting an old poast from a many years older joystick thread.

-------

It they are still around, try a Saitek Cyborg Graphite -- S.C.G. main-150.jpg

When I got into simming years ago with Oleg's The FB, I found a few SCG joysticks at The WalMarts for 15 to 20 Ussian dollars each.

"A nice low-end joystick" ~> http://www.epinions.com/review/Saitek_Cyborg_Graphite_Joystick_USB_PS21_021165102958/content_247003844228

Why? Here's my thinking...

(0) SCG is a true World War Two, or early Cold War, combat flight sim stick; rugged and simple, built like a LaGG, or a Republic. I found the simplicity more matching the WW2 style FB game than all the Space Shuttle joysticks with fancy push buttons all over.

(1) Largest common inexpensive gaming joystick made.

(2) Giant titan sized base. Very heavy, stable on the table.

(3) The largest stick top throw distance of any joystick made -- 6 inches -- compare with all others.

(4) Largest hat switch of any joystick made today -- compare with others. However, the diagonals don't work well for me, so I use it as a 4-way and not 8-way hat switch.

(5) Largest throttle of any joystick made, and smooth working.

(6) Only three stick top buttons, but they are HUGE and offer great feedback click and feel.

(7) NO BASE BUTTONS -- Just how I like it. I prefer the keyboard as a simulation of often poorly designed old aircraft pilot/cockpit interfaces, until somebody makes a flight sim keyboard that physically models a cockpit panel to replace the computer keyboard while simming.

(8) As a USB joystick, plug into running computer and fly. No software comes with the stick, at least in my purchase.

(9) Extremely rugged with huge handgrip, large trigger, and strong feel. I'm still banging away at the original stick I purchased many years ago. The only maintenence required is dusting every year or so. I have not yet opened a backup joystick I purchased.

Problems...

(1) As far as I know, the SCG is available in stores shelves only at The WalMarts, and that was several years ago. Don't know about now.

I eventually looked to upgrade to a "popular" or "mainstream" Pro Gamer Simmer joystick, but when I visited CompUSA to test the feel of the Pro-Simmer Space Fighter joysticks, they all had limited stick-top travel, and they all felt like a limp handshake, or holding a wet fish, after having used the iron grip SCG for so long. So I still use the same stick today, literally, it just won't break.

Cant go wrong with Saitek for the cheap and good price range, I had quite a few cheapsters like Genius, Logitech etc. but nothing came close to Saitek, my first Saitek(CyborgEVO) endured over 4 years of heavy punishment in IL-2 online wars.

Now I have Saitek ST290, dirt cheap(I think it's like 20$) I bought it in 2007 I think lol still almost as good as new...

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I'm just poor man.

this is the one I use for quick flights. Cheap but very good stick.

Edited by PureBlue

Here I am mostly copy-pasting an old poast from a many years older joystick thread.

-------

It they are still around, try a Saitek Cyborg Graphite -- S.C.G. main-150.jpg

When I got into simming years ago with Oleg's The FB, I found a few SCG joysticks at The WalMarts for 15 to 20 Ussian dollars each.

"A nice low-end joystick" ~> http://www.epinions.com/review/Saitek_Cyborg_Graphite_Joystick_USB_PS21_021165102958/content_247003844228

Why? Here's my thinking...

(0) SCG is a true World War Two, or early Cold War, combat flight sim stick; rugged and simple, built like a LaGG, or a Republic. I found the simplicity more matching the WW2 style FB game than all the Space Shuttle joysticks with fancy push buttons all over.

(1) Largest common inexpensive gaming joystick made.

(2) Giant titan sized base. Very heavy, stable on the table.

(3) The largest stick top throw distance of any joystick made -- 6 inches -- compare with all others.

(4) Largest hat switch of any joystick made today -- compare with others. However, the diagonals don't work well for me, so I use it as a 4-way and not 8-way hat switch.

(5) Largest throttle of any joystick made, and smooth working.

(6) Only three stick top buttons, but they are HUGE and offer great feedback click and feel.

(7) NO BASE BUTTONS -- Just how I like it. I prefer the keyboard as a simulation of often poorly designed old aircraft pilot/cockpit interfaces, until somebody makes a flight sim keyboard that physically models a cockpit panel to replace the computer keyboard while simming.

(8) As a USB joystick, plug into running computer and fly. No software comes with the stick, at least in my purchase.

(9) Extremely rugged with huge handgrip, large trigger, and strong feel. I'm still banging away at the original stick I purchased many years ago. The only maintenence required is dusting every year or so. I have not yet opened a backup joystick I purchased.

Problems...

(1) As far as I know, the SCG is available in stores shelves only at The WalMarts, and that was several years ago. Don't know about now.

I eventually looked to upgrade to a "popular" or "mainstream" Pro Gamer Simmer joystick, but when I visited CompUSA to test the feel of the Pro-Simmer Space Fighter joysticks, they all had limited stick-top travel, and they all felt like a limp handshake, or holding a wet fish, after having used the iron grip SCG for so long. So I still use the same stick today, literally, it just won't break.

I actually bought one of those from walmart for $10 for my brother a few years back, since he doesnt SIM like i SIM, he doesnt need an expensive HOTAs. he likes it alot over trying to fly with a Xbox 360 controller.