Sign in to follow this  
Olham

OT: Back in two weeks

Time to travel to my hometown again, for two weeks.

Time for Grünkohl mit Ammerländer Pinkel; Bratkartoffeln mit Granat;

Seezunge mit Karoffelsalat; Matjes in Sahne mit Pellkartoffeln;

Speckfetten grau Arten; Schellfisch in Buttersoße; Schnippelbohnen -

ah, the delicious meals of home!

I bet most of you don't know any of these - you don't know what you're missing! ...

(... but you know what I'm talking about: the meals of home - you all have your own)

the northern german captain blaubär food is completely different than southern german food (nürnberger bratwürste, schäufele mit klößen etc.), but it sounds very delicious.

have fun my friend :good:

Oh, I love Nürnberger Bratwürstle! Hmmmmmm...

Thanks, Creaghorn!

Why not? The fat is the best transporter for the flavours, isn't it?

Thanks, HW!

When I'm back, I'll care for slimming - Mmuahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

Hehe then: "welcome back home my friend" :cool: but, actually we do have the classical "ostfrieslandwetter". grey with a mix of dark grey and rain. just a little bit wind.

Have a great trip, and a lovely time!

Safe travels Olham. I hope you enjoy it all and then some, mein Freund!

Have fun Herr Olham and yes the food is different to Austrian food as well... :drinks:

... but, actually we do have the classical "ostfrieslandwetter". grey with a mix of dark grey and rain. just a little bit wind.

'Sounds like my thirty years in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The food and the wonderful people is what I miss most from our time in Germany. We lived in the small village of Beersdorf about 15 miles from Bittberg, we were the only American family in the village. As you know most of the houses are connected, next door lived a lady who was in her late seventies. She would bring over the most wonderful dishes of food and pastries. We could not speak the language very well, but very soon my 8 year old daughter, Vickie, learned to communicate with her. Mrs Seidel, her family, who lived in Bittberg, and the nice people of Beersdorf made our 3 year stay very enjoyable. I have tried many of the German restaurants here in the states and it is just not the same. In all my travels, the time in Germany was the best.

Rich

mmmmmmmm Bratwrust and shell fish in butter with Beer. As the Host on a local Cooking Channel ( television) would say De Lic. Now you are on a One Way Train to Flavor Town. :drinks:

Safe travels and enjoy your time at home Olham. :bye:

Those shellfish look like "mud bugs" ( Crayfish or Crawdads ) and not shrimp. Am I right or wrong?

The only good German food we have found outside of Germany was in Slovang California a few years ago.

Eat well and ENJOY!!!

The only good German food we have found outside of Germany was in Slovang California a few years ago.

I thought Solvang was Dutch, not Deutsch. But whatever, I agree. Good food there.

The central part of Texas was settled mainly by Germans and Czechs who have tried to keep at least the culinary part of their heritage alive, even if they've acculturated to Texas in every other way. Thus, German and Czech food is always available there, although I don't know how authentic it is. There seems to be some Tex-Mex influence in it, except on heritage festival days. Still tastes great, though.

Olham,

You slacker - not flying over Xmas? Pah! Lightweight...

I was going to post something much more insulting, but I thought better of it!

I hope that you've had the most marvellous of Christmases and new years, and that when you return that you are plagued with gun blockages and engine faults - there; I got it in! :tease:

(PS - don't forget, I hate emoticons, so it takes a special poster to elicit such a response. Hope you had a great time, mein Freund)

Edited by themightysrc