Sign in to follow this  
Padre

Noob Question F-100D

Flying Merc Camp. ALL HARD settings.

How do I know what weapon is selected beyond hitting Backspace or |/\?

It gets kind of frustrating dumping (2)1000lbs when I thought I was firering 2 3" Rocks.

I've looked around the cockpit, but don't see any switches changing or anything.

:blink:

In options, enable the text to show on the bottom of the screen

Hi there! I'm new to Strike Fighters, but I posted at KiwiSims about my noob SF experience - here's a bit of an extract from the blurb on how I set up the sim - might give you some ideas for your own setup?

img00003.jpg

The HARD flight model really demands a bit more respect - stalls and spins are definitely on the cards if you don't think about angle-of-attack and airspeed. Found the ALT-D command to 'de-clutter' the game HUD for screenies.

img00004.jpg

The cloud mod is nice - a big improvement! (The clouds are stock in all screenies prior to this one.)

Here's a couple more easy tricks to make the game look a bit more hard-core. Extract the HUDDATA.ini from the FlightData.cat and make a couple of edits:

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=14 <--------------------- smaller fonts make for a more tactical and less arcadey info display. Would be interesting to experiment with the font too.

[smallLabelFont]

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=10 <-------------------- same here

Same thing in MESSAGESYSTEM.ini:

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=14 <---------------- here

The edited .ini's drop in to the 'Flight' folder in your mods folder.

The indicator cones are probably the worst 'sim-lite' offender (to me anyway) and the game looks much better without them. Just edit them out in HUDDATA.ini:

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName= <---------------------- leave the line blank after the "=" and NO ConeModel is loaded by the game engine. Hasta la Vista cones!

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName= <---------------------- and here

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.125

Height=0.16666667

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

I left the indicator boxes and waypoint triangles stock. I think they look quite tactical, and are worthwhile for the improved SA (squinting would only ruin my youthful complexion).

I've got the HUD Display and Visual Targeting options set to NORMAL, and subtitles OFF in the sound options. The game looks 100% better from stock, and plays really nice IMHO.

img00006.jpg

The office is nice too!

img00005.jpg

All the instruments work beautifully in the CombatAce Texan and theres a good bunch of animated switches and indicator lamps. It's all very nicely done. :8)

Off to bed! :sleep:

Kiwi

Hope it helps! The bit that applies specifically to your question is this:

"I've got the HUD Display and Visual Targeting options set to NORMAL, and subtitles OFF in the sound options." With this setting you'll see 'technical' messages like which weapon you just selected, but not all the 'sub-titles'.

Cheers

Kiwi

EDIT: When I think about it, you would still need to hit the next weapon key to see the 'message' so maybe this isn't much help after all, but I'll leave it up anyway in case there's anything useful in there. :drinks:

Edited by KiwiBiggles

... oh, and the other thing I did was edit out the on-screen radar display (which will come back if you reset your HUD setting to NORMAL I think?) .

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.125

Height=0.16666667

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

From memory I just reset the Width and Height to 0.0