Sign in to follow this  
ianh755

Request - ASRAAM Skin

***EDIT*** - Ravenclaw007 was already working on this, his amazing WIP pics are here - http://combatace.com/topic/69760-request-asraam-skin/page__view__findpost__p__544667

Hi all, me again with another cheeky request. With the new Typhoon BETA to play with I noticed that the current ASRAAM skin is, to be blunt, terrible while the model isn't that bad it is very bland anyway (not even a Glass nose). I've a go myself but I'll be honest, it looks like a child's done it, badly, but my excuse is the skin is a square only 128x128 (when it should be 1024x128 - long and thin like the missile) so everything has to be stretched really wide to look right when it's on the model.

Here's the original

asraam01.JPG

My poor effort done in paint just to put some deatils on it :yikes:

asraam02.JPG

Here's a very good website with a close up http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-aim-132-asraam-missile/419669 and here's some reference pics

ASRAAM_Advanced_Short_Range_Air-to-Air_Missile_.jpg

41.jpg

20110425131402-495ea9f2.jpg

asraamreference01.jpg

AIM-132+ASRAAM.jpg

The models from the MGunny pack but it's here incase you haven't got it.

Cheers........................................IanH

Edited by ianh755

I honestly think a remodeled and mapped 3D model would be better as the skin on the current one is very basic

I agree.

I also think this applies to the IRIS-T, as the skin is very very basic and the nose of the missile looks like the GBU-28's nose before raven-claw supped it up.

Eric - The only thing I know about modelling is that it takes plenty of time and effort (2 Weeks :grin: ) so while it'd be great if a new model was made (and I would be ecstatic) as the 3D modelling guys are almost always overworked with plenty of bigger projects I didn't want to add any extra work-load to anyone for something that really only effects 3 RAF planes (Tornado/Typhoon/JSF) and 1 RAAF (F/A-18) and isn't that big in the scale of things.

However, as I know nothing about the actual Modelling/Skinning process I thought making a new skin template for an existing model would be much quicker/easier which is why I thought that a tweaked skin would tide me over until the model could be redone.

PS Added a new reference image above of the right side.

Well I think that your so called "poor effort" is a massive improvment on what we have at the moment!

You do yourself a disservice sir. I'd post it :good:

OK here it is warts and all, but it really needs someone with any kind of skinning abilities to have a go, please because when you can see the whole skin it's looks pretty shocking TBH.

Anyway I tweaked it slightly from the one above, I changed the skin tone from grey to white and removed the blue band and did red/yellow for war shots based on the reference picks. It's still a basic flat skin done in paint with huge pixels distorting everything (see the 2 black laser windows and attempted writing for example) and you can see where I've flipped the left side to right and the weathering doesn't match. I've gone overboard on the weathering TBH but couldn't see it when it was lighter.

The model LOD calls for for a .bmp image so you can either D/L this 3Mb file here - http://www.ianhenshall.com/sf2/ASRAAM.bmp

or you can take this 160kb JPEG and convert it to a BMP in Paint, your choice but the qualities the same either way as at some point I'd saved it as a JPEG and reconverted it back to a BMP anyway making the quality poorer!

ASRAAM.jpg

Edited by ianh755

Eric - The only thing I know about modelling is that it takes plenty of time and effort (2 Weeks :grin: ) so while it'd be great if a new model was made (and I would be ecstatic) as the 3D modelling guys are almost always overworked with plenty of bigger projects I didn't want to add any extra work-load to anyone for something that really only effects 3 RAF planes (Tornado/Typhoon/JSF) and 1 RAAF (F/A-18) and isn't that big in the scale of things.

Sure but this looked simple enough...

v2:

gallery_3270_118_847.jpg

Edited by Brain32

The only thing needs tweaking with the existing model is the nose section. It needs to narrow more (too "fat" before the green section needs to be 1/2 the diameter of the missile body) and get a glass nose. Is it difficult to make different Skin template for an existing model (so it inc's exhaust/nose, missile body skin is rectangular etc)?

Edited by ianh755

Yeah green section is just a mesh with no material assigned yet, but this is good info so the seeker cap is 1/2 of the body diameter

OK I narrowed down the nose section :grin:

...and replaced the image, deleted the first one

Edited by Brain32

It's very slightly less than half - if the model is correct at 166mm diameter (the figures I'm using for measurement are the per real ASRAAM ones) then the nose (start of the glass) is 72-73mm diameter as near as I can make it and it from the Vertical line by the 2 laser windows (which is where it starts to narrow on the model) to the start of the glass it's 407-408mm (444mm to the tip of the glass).

Hope that helps!

Edited by ianh755

Every bit helps as I did it more by eye than anything else as I couldn't find a decent drawing anywhere. Measurments are correct btw 2,95m lenght, 166mm diameter

Edit to the above - Now I know the model dimensions are right I can tell you that the missile body stays the same diameter from the exhaust for 2613mm then the nose starts to thin down for the last 337mm until the very tip of the glass at 2950. It doesn't thin down from the Vertical line I mentioned earlier, got my lines mixed up! BTW my measurements only have an error factor of around 0.2% so everything should be spot on!

Here's a rough idea of the curve involved in the thinning -

The Green line is from the exhaust and is straight.

The Red line is the seeker assy and is also straight.

The Blue line is the only curved bit.

The Yellow line is 131mm from the start of the glass to the end of the seeker.

The Purple line is the length of the curved section at 169mm from the seeker to the main body.

The Glass dome is 37mm.

The lines aren't accurate they're just to show what bits I'm on about.

asraamreference03.jpg

Edited by ianh755

Sure but this looked simple enough...

v2:

True but the moneymaker is the actual texture too.

When it's layed out properly, texture will be easy...I just need to finish the 3D part first.

Obviously, don't expect too much this year :lol:

• Like 1

Fair enough :lol:

i have the Sidewinder family , IRIS-T , Meteor, AIM-120 AMRAAM and the AIM-132 ASRAAM as models in work , they are not finish yet but will be in the near future

on the AIM-132 ASRAAM the skin the Sensor and the tail/nozzle needs still some work but nothing major , i could not find any picture of the rocket tail of a armed AIM-132 so im not sure if my tail section is correct

LOL Ravenclaw does it again it's like you can read my mind! :good:

Here you go - Happy New Year BTW dude! Our neighbours got off to a great start by having their house party turn into a huge fight which ended up with the Police being called and us going home :sad:

The Seeker out of the nose - (from an AIM-9x but looks to be identical)

fpa-aim9x.jpg

Nose up close

asraamreference05.jpg

Rear of Live ASRAAM - a bit dark but looks like the same colour as the computer shot below with a silver ring around the edge

20100213213733.jpg

asraamreference04.jpg

Computer Model of Rear - very similar to IRIS-T below

asraamreference02.jpg

**********************************************************************************

Loads of really good IRIS-T close ups inc rear on this page (a few duff ones near the top but some really good shots of the seeker) - http://oursogo.com/thread-789192-1-1.html

**********************************************************************************

Edited by ianh755

Brain, i can send you the model if you need it

Thx buddy but no need, yours is practically finished, mine is still very basic, I'll just trash mine and wait for yours :)

just for testing , i had nothing to do last night so i finish the skin :grin:

all other missiles will take a bit longer to do (i have only two hands)