Gr.Viper

Just set fire to them

...best way to disable modern Russian subs, apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16361825

The fire's not out yet.

Its 16 inter-continental ballistic missiles, each with four warheads, had also been removed.

That's good. The fireworks could be impressive.

Ze burning as seen by people with crappy cameras

Thats one less to worry about. ;-)

I am not very fond of Boomers in general. Too sinister for my purposes.

Edited by JonathanRL

Of course the funny part is that it's not the sub at all, it's crap on the dock next to it that went up and it spread to the sub. Ironically, since it's powered down and tied up to a dock they couldn't just submerge to put it out. :grin:

Of course the funny part is that it's not the sub at all, it's crap on the dock next to it that went up and it spread to the sub. Ironically, since it's powered down and tied up to a dock they couldn't just submerge to put it out. :grin:

Damn, what a Murphy's Law accident :). But she's not the first ship to suffer a welding-induced fire while in dockyard hands. It's happened to everybody, military and civilian, and will continue to do so as long as there are welders :grin: .

Don't laugh that it took the Russians a long time to put the fire out. As a fireman, I can tell you that once a big pile of rubber gets burning, it takes a lot of killing. It once took my department 3 days to put out a fire at a factory that recycled old tires and I figure that was about the same amount of rubber as on a Delta IV boomer.

Rubber is such a bitch for several reasons. First off, it's by nature waterproof so repels water instead of soaking it up. Second, as it burns, it tends to porous with the fire down in the holes, most of which are too small for water to get into well, besides being surrounded by water-repellant material so water can't even soak into the internal tunnels from the sides. And third, the heat of the fire starts melting and decomposing surrounding rubber into light flammable liquids, so you have both Class A and Class B fires going at once in the same area. A modern dual-purpose Class A/B foam in sufficient quantity is your best bet but failing that, you're probably going to be there a long time.

Never liked Submarines...they're too sneaky! :grin:

Had a friend in boomers back during the 1980s and early 90s. Even though his job was to listen for (and avoid or kill) Soviet subs, every accident suffered by any submariner, irregardless of what side that submariner happened to be on, used to really bother him.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I find easy to understand why.

From what I understand, most service members find it easy to sympathize with others doing the same job in other services, regardless of which side of the political divide they're on. In a shooting war it may be your job to fight them, but even so there are some fates you literally don't wish on your worst enemies. A quick death at least is merciful.

And now one of our newspapers reports, that, after the fire was put out, the sub first paid a visit to a weapon storage facility and then went to the repair dock. Putting this together with the tendency of our navy not to remove weapons from subs for only a brief maintenance, and some rumors on the grapevine, they conclude that the sub was on fire with the full set of torpedoes in the nose and 16 fueled nuke-tipped missiles in stores in addition to the reactor.

And now one of our newspapers reports, that, after the fire was put out, the sub first paid a visit to a weapon storage facility and then went to the repair dock. Putting this together with the tendency of our navy not to remove weapons from subs for only a brief maintenance, and some rumors on the grapevine, they conclude that the sub was on fire with the full set of torpedoes in the nose and 16 fueled nuke-tipped missiles in stores in addition to the reactor.

Reminds me of a portuguese saying that "You have to change the locks on a house recently burglarized." :heat: