Looking at the screenies/aar reports i see many LGBs being carried, but I've never had much success of them... You can't release them as dumb bombs, you can only drop on targets that's selectable with visual targeting and there's not much info in the cockpit to show when they're in range.

Any tips as to how to use them effectively?

I treat them a bit like Dumb bombs when it comes to dropping them. My method is level at 25,000ft 550kts and then a shallow 25' dive to a release at around 20,000ft followed by minimal roll, zero if possible (thats the bit that throws the Designator pod).

Depending on the the accuracy of the bombs FM a PaveWay 2 series should have about 1/2-2/3's the range of a PaveWay 3 series (PW2 for me is about 8 miles at 20,000ft).

With Weapons on "Easy" you can lob a PW2 30+miles if you get high enough!

Edited by ianh755

Well if it was easy we wouldn't do it... my method is similar to IanH but from a release of around 10000ft for a 4nm range drop... more fun down there as the guns like you as well as the SAM's...

Thanks eric. actually tried some more but whole thing just feels off compared to dcs a10 or falcon4.. back to visual bombing in the big ol' phantom for me...

That's because the SF series are "lite" compared to the DCS series. And remember that Thirdwire is only three people, as opposed to around 50 for the titles, so the "cool" features that DCS:A-10 has is due to that fact. It's not difficult, you just have to get some more practice.

That's because the SF series are "lite" compared to the DCS series.

oh yeah i know liking it surely ain't because of looking for in-depth avionics but the visuals/mods/challenging dogfights/personally the phantom. might even warm up to PGMs after I decided to move past the golden 70s and jimi's guitar:D

Well depending on the model PGMs were used even in the Vietnam War so I'd advise going to the Downloads Section and finding the Range Map (or ChampionVA56s version too) and spend some time there. Even us "Strike Fighters Vets" use it because it's great for a day of blowing up stuff just for fun. And that's another reason you're having issues, older PGMs were very (to this day anyways) crude but the basics remain the same though, so that should help you with those versions.

Well depending on the model PGMs were used even in the Vietnam War so I'd advise going to the Downloads Section and finding the Range Map (or ChampionVA56s version too) and spend some time there. Even us "Strike Fighters Vets" use it because it's great for a day of blowing up stuff just for fun. And that's another reason you're having issues, older PGMs were very (to this day anyways) crude but the basics remain the same though, so that should help you with those versions.

yep seems sometimes it's necessary to take one on those bridge strike missions indeed. prefer walleyes/gbu-8 tho as those are a bit more flexible. still it's hit and miss after many many drops, they just have a very small release window and there's no way i could know that. currently 2 pairs of mk84 gives better results even as i've gotten pretty good at that without the ccip pipper...