RAF_Louvert

OT: 2012 Is The Year I Do It

I can't take it any more. This is the year I return to my ideal weight, (i.e. the lean, mean, 186 pounds I was in the service back in the mid-1970's). Over the decades I have been close a number of times, and much farther away most others. But when I stepped on the scale this morning the shock damn near gave me a heart attack, (or perhaps it was the excess tonnage). I was at 247-and-a-half! No wonder none of my clothes fit worth crap. :lol:

Soooooo, it's on to a program I go, with each day consisting of 1,200 calories of healthy food and an extra two miles of walking. I am also going to getting into some weight training as well. And, as a constant reminder of where I am at, I have created some OFF-inspired wallpaper for my flying computer.

Lou_2012_Wallpaper_001.jpg

I have my man Georges there to inspire me as I chart my progress, and for a little added incentive I am going to award myself a medal each time I reach one of the blue lines, with a BIG old medal coming my way when I hit the red one! Also, I am approaching this not as a diet but as a lifestyle change as I honestly want to keep the weight off this time.

Wish me luck Gents.

Booya!

Good Luck. Make it work.

Good on ya, Mate. Unfortunately, after beer that would only leave me with 200 calories per day. :drinks:

Good luck Lou I am in the same boat as you weighed myself last week and passed out twice second time to make sure... only weigh in at 212lb's or 96kilos or 15 stone depends on where you live. Friend of mine wants me to take her to the gym and give her a workout looks like its the other way round you ask me... so once I have cleared the fridge and chocolate from Xmas off oh and had my knee operated on back to getting into shape for me which will be better for my knees... swimming for me though... :good:

Outstanding idea!! Good for you!!! GOOD LUCK!!

I think this it's so great, I'm going to make one also!!

Astonishing.......had the same thought today looking at the scales and wondering "how did that happen". I chalk it up to an Xmas and Thanksgiving proximity which amazingly enough seems to happen every year....despite my best intentions....at pretty much the same time. We can never go back....and we're all distorted reflections of ourselves at an earlier time,,,,,this will sound horribly lame but I think the secret is to be comfortable with who you are now and know that what you were can never be regained....it ain't about the weight....it's all of it.... the wrinkles, the loose skin, and the hairline....and ultimately...who's looking? "Be yourself.....everybody else is already taken".

Many thanks everyone for your words of support, it is much appreciated. I will be sure to keep you all informed of my progress.

Gaw, I agree that we are all odd reflections of our younger selves, and I am quite comfortable with most of that: my graying hair and muzzle; my wrinkles and age spots; the ever increasing size of my ears and nose. However, when it comes to my overall weight, I'd like there to be a bit less of it to be comfortable with. grin.gif

You know, it occurs to me, with others here also considering dropping a few pounds this year we could serve as a pretty damned good support group for each other. I've found over the years that when it comes to such endeavors it is often very helpful to have others know your intentions who can then help 'keep you strong', (so to speak), when temptations rear their seductive yet ugly heads.

Congratulations on your decision to lose a few pounds, Lou.

Tell you what. As an added incentive, when you reach 212 lbs., give me a shout and I will join you in a joint quest to 186!

if i may give you an advise how you can reach your goal and keep it permanently.

there are different types of bodies. some lose weight faster, some slower. my body is of the kind that i just have to take a look at a picture of a cake and i gain weight.

usually in the wintertime during offseason i'm working out a lot in the gym and do hard running. but there are times, like xmas time etc. where i simply get lazy or need a break, and then i'm getting out of shape rather quickly. before springtraining starts i usually do it like this, and it helps me everytime. first of all one shouldn't look at his weight but at his fat in the body percentage, but anyway. to lose weight it's a matter of deficit. you have to burn more than you gain. the best way to have a deficit is to have no or low carb food. in spring, the first step for me to really get in shape again is to have a no carb foodplan for two weeks.

day one i eat nothing, for the stomach to get empty and to make it use the reserves of the body, then for two weeks every day just salads with protein. fish, steak without fat, chicken etc. you can eat it as much as you can and drink a lot. you don't need to eat less or something, but you have to avoid carb (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals etc.) at any costs. the first two or three days it might be a torture, but the body quickly gets used to it and suddenly you won't miss carb at all.

after those two weeks (with working out you might have lost already about 10 kilos, without working out about 5 kilos. you'll think you can fly now) you switch to low carb. that means you don't avoid carb, but you keep it the smallest part of the food. a simple trick is just to switch the portion one usually has. usually one has a plate with lot of potatoes or something, and some fish or meat or whatever. you simply switch it that you rather have plenty of fish and meat etc., and let the potatos be the smallest part. if you eat soup with bread, let the bread be the smallest part. try to eat up to about five times a day rather small portions than twice a day big portions. reason is that your body then is never really hungry, and therefore, you'll eat less. also try to eat slower. most people (me included, i have two older brothers and i had to defend my food in childhood lol) eat too fast. your body needs about 15 minutes to give you the signal that you are full. until those 15 minutes people eat too much because they still think they are hungry. did it ever happened to you that you finished your meal just half, when suddenly the phone rang and you had to talk some minutes? for sure you found out after the phonecall that you are not hungry anymore. that's what i mean. :drinks:

cheers

Thanks for the advice Creaghorn and for your weight loss plan. It is quite similar to one I've used myself, though I didn't cut out the carbs completely in the first phase. There are many such plans, and I believe a person should go with the one that works best for them. My problem has been keeping the weight off once I've lost it, and that is where the lifestyle change is going to have to come into play, IMHO.

I've lost three stone in the past 18 months.

No special diet, just the Credit crunch royally screwing up my business and stress of being taking to an employment tribunal by four thieving, money grasping, evil, lying, parasytic maggoty toss pots.

I feel much better for the weight loss, but I won't be thanking anybody for their input, nor recommending this particular weight loss process to anyone else.

Eat sensible Lou, but be more active. Your metabolism is your best friend, so keep it purring along with lots of activity and the bonus is you can eat what you like. You can eat one horse a day provided you burn it off in exercise, but only if you have the metabolism capable of doing it.

Be as active as you can be, and you will 'supercharge' any diet you do adopt.

Flyby, that is an impressive amount of weight you've dropped Sir. Sucks that your diet plan was more or less foisted upon you by the same lot that's put the world into it's current financial mess, but good on you anyway for coming out ahead in at least one regard. As to metabolism, I once had one where I could have eaten a horse a day and never gained a pound, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Now it seems I can gain weight simply by walking past a donut shop. Perhaps I'll try walking much faster past such shops and see if that helps.

love this....we're a Jenny Craig forum now....but it's clear this thread has struck a common chord....mine included....no posting pictures of muffin-tops!

Try cross-country skiing. It's a great way to lose weight. You should have enough snow in Minnesota for that, correct?

Good luck with the Battle of the Bulge. :grin:

Good luck, Lou. I too have made a vow to lose some weight. Mine piled on when I stopped teaching - I taught a physical activity.

My wife is a Nutritionist and has given me my dietry orders plus I've been cycling hard for 10 miles each day for the last 3 days and intend to continue with that.

I currently weigh around 14stone in English money and according to the BMI I should be around 9 - 10 so that's around 56 lb to go.

I'm considering liposuction....I mean why work at it.......any thoughts?

I'm considering liposuction....I mean why work at it.......any thoughts?

Lipo is not the 'magic bullet' it is often touted to be. Complications are easy to come by, and if you don't change eating and exercise habits, the weight comes back. Careful research is called for.

Lou,

Best luck! If I can give advice here... P90x. As much as I am not a big fan of easy-fix diets, crappy work-out vids... etc. P90x really works because it's based on something A LOT of people don't understand when they work-out... it's based on personal development, meaning, what is good for your body may not be good for the guy next to you. 10 reps might be hard for you, it might be a breeze for me... etc. Get it? AND>>> it's all natural WORK... meaning WORK, like you are really performing work. It's all push, pull, lift, jump and move.. that's it... and man, it really works. I've done it 3 times and also work-out with weights. It works. It bangs your body into great shape, and all around better physical condtion... uh... skip the yoga stuff though... it sucks.

I'm 42 now, a Volunteer Fireman, and not as active as I'd like to be, but I work-out as often as I can, I eat fairly well... something that provides the personal gain and energy that P90x does is not easy to create in a gym pounding weights. Using your own body to do work is better. It's better for you, and better for your body. I can bang-out 50 standard push-ups then bench 225 10 times in the same work-out routine. To me, that's better than banging out 315 twice, saying I did it, and being spent for the day. After P90x, I feel like a youthful machine again... and the ladies notice it too... ;)

Plus, doing it in your own home is priceless... no a-hole steriod freaks, that lift 200lbs on the bench and sit there for 20 mins thinking about it... no hoodie jerks doing bicep curls so wide, so you can't pass... I've been there, done that.

At 42, I weigh 193, my chest is 48", waist is 32"... I want it to be 185, 50" and 30" by summer.

Good luck to you, post here for support! We're behind you all the way... hey .. throw down the gaunlet... ;)

Thanks again everyone for all your support and motivation, it will serve me well over the following months in my quest for 186.

Gaw, it may be sounding rather Jenny Craig-ish in here, but as you've noted my wish to shed a few stone is obviously a common theme. But liposuction? I am going to assume you're joking.

Hasse WInd ... "Battle of the Bulge" ... hee, hee. Normally we would have enough snow right now for X-country skiing, but not this season. It was a brown Christmas in my part of Minnesota for the first time in many years. As to the skiing itself, I have done that in the past and in fact just found my kit this last weekend in the garage. It was all sitting right next to my roller blades. :biggrin:

Tranquillo, best of luck on your program Sir. You have the same distance to go as I do, so how about the first to get to their goal and stay at their ideal weight for all of 2012 treats the other to a $20 gift certificate to their favorite online book store?

OvS, I will look into P90x and see what it's about. I have a couple of friends here on our local fire department who are in a program that sounds very similar to the one you are following, and this is what I am aiming for as well. I want to do a general toning up again, and get a bit more muscle back in my shoulders and upper arms.

Alrighty then, off to do some road work. "I'm going to get thin, 'cause when I lose I win! I'm going to get thin, 'cause when I lose I win! ... "