Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Belated Happy New Year

I wish all my friends at CA a late Happy New Year.

These last two weeks have been very trying for me having first kidney stones and then the flu over Xmas and then instead of getting better I began to feel worse. Last Thursday I went to see the doc and was told to get to the hospital and check in. I had been in renal failure for the last week and a half. Long story short, spent Thursday to Monday in hospital hooked up to an IV as they pumped in fluids and antibiotics. I lost 10 pounds in 4 days, not a diet I would recommend, and finally got my appetite back yesterday.

So....

I'm medically off work for the rest of the week, will take another week for vacation to ensure I'm fully recovered and then back to the grind. Lots of doctors in the near future and my diet has now changed to a low (none) salt renal diet, absolutely no flavor at all and hoping that no permanent damage was done to my kidneys. The doc said that I had no visible stones or blockages in the unltrasound but I'll still need a CT to be sure.

Hope everyone had a good New Year that was not as eventful as mine.

One more thing, my grand daughter hid when my oldest brought the kids up to see me. According to her I was not her Poppa, since Poppa never gets sick.

Edited by firehawkordy

Happy new year to you!

Strange I spent most of last Thursday / Friday moaning about having to be in work - guess I had nothing to moan about compared to you.

Although that diet seems more preferable to going to the sodding gym

Hope it turns out okay

hope you are getting better Charlie

and next year's christmas will help you forget the troubles of this one

all the best and Happy new year!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm off work until the doc clears me, I have lots of doctor visits and test for the near future. What is bothering us is that it was a blood infection that started all this, working in a hospital I'm very careful about hand washing and such so for this to slip by it's aggravating. I was told that one more day without treatment and it would have been more difficult to stop the infection and kidney failure. I lucked out this time, my employer is a teaching hospital that has some real cutting edge treatments. Add to the fact that I've been here for 23 years so the really senior doc's and staff have known me for years meant that I got really good care. I just don't know at this point in time how much damage has been done and what my long term prognosis is going to be. I'm having to take everything day by day right now and I am climbing the walls. I'll keep you all up to date on this so thanks for putting up with this thread.

Nesher, I plan on wishing you a happy Chanukah at the end of the year my friend, count on it.