Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Favorite Non War Aviation Film

What was your favorite Non War Aviation movie ? or movies ?

1. Flight Command

2. Cpt of the clouds

3. Dive Bomber. ( More about Flight Doctors and women chasing ).

Edited by carrick58

No doubt about it: The Great Waldo Pepper!

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. Not watched it since very long, but I had really enjoyed it...

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. Not watched it since very long, but I had really enjoyed it...

I agree with you. Its also my no.1

My No.2 is "Quax der Bruchpilot" german comedy late 30th

+1

Yes, as already mentioned "Those Maginificent Men" is streets ahead of anything else. A real classic. :smile:

Good question....

I always liked the original "Flight of the Phoenix".

There are some Bond films with some great aviation related footage. The DC-3 bit in "Quantum of Solace" rocked!

Edited by DoctorQuest

No one likes "Always"? Plenty of great planes mixed with some decent humor, too AND passes for a chick flick.

For the flying:

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (got it on DVD)

The Great Waldo Pepper

For the laughs:

Airplane (got it on DVD)

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

For the flying:

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (got it on DVD)

The Great Waldo Pepper

For the laughs:

Airplane (got it on DVD)

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

I forgot about Airplane the movie. What a laugh Riot. :good: There are 2 others that bear watching but cant remember the Names both had Wallace Berry. Something about Blimps or lighter than Airships The other Clark Gable and pre WWII Aircraft carrier Lexington ? 2 wing planes I think it was written by Ex Navy Aviator Sprig Weed U.S.N.,but cant seem to pull up information on it.

I'm with Jarhead...Airplane wins hands down for me

(Flight of the Phoenix was good too)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I know it's animation, but I just find 'Porco Rosso' a delight from start to finish.

I'm quite fond of the Jimmy Stewart trilogy of Flight of the Phoenix, Strategic Air Command and The Spirit of St. Louis, although I think most of it is from watching Jimmy Stewart as a Pilot playing a Pilot.

:clapping:One film that sits on the fence and I cant make up my mind why I watch it is " Jet Pilot " . I seem to be torn between the F-86 flight scenes and a young Janet Lee in Beach/ Dinner attire. :blink:

Tough to come up with any decent non-combat flight movies.

Top Gun had nothing to do with combat, but is one of my least favorite movies.

The Aviator with Leonardo Di Caprio was darn near unwatchable.

The Terminal with Tom Hanks was a decent chick flick.

What about old TV series like "Sky King" or "Whirlybirds"

Am I dating myself a little here?

Edited by BirdDogICT

I know it's animation, but I just find 'Porco Rosso' a delight from start to finish.

Amen.

Er... Amen is indeed a fine movie, but clearly not an aviation movie. Try again.

Well said. The 'amen' was in response to Wayfarer's comment on "Porco Rosso", but somehow I didn't include the quote. That I just fixed.

My favs have already been named so nothing to add here, except to say:

"You have clearance, Clarence" "Roger, Roger." "What's our vector, Victor?" "Huh?" "What?"

One of the things that made "Airplane" so great (other than being a disaster-flick spoof while disaster-flicks were still big business) was the cast and the way they were instructed to act. What comedies had Robert Stack or Peter Graves done before that? Or Lloyd Bridges? Or Leslie Nielsen? These were established, though past their prime, dramatic actors who were told to take these insane lines and deliver them as though there was an Oscar nomination on the line. Who can forget Graves in the cockpit asking the little boy, "Do you like Gladiator movies?". Or Stack whipping off his sunglasses (even though it's nighttime and he's indoors...funny enough already) only to reveal another pair underneath? Bridges's deadpan , "Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue" as he buries his head in a paper sack? And the crowning glory of Nielsen's "Don't call me Shirley" and, "Win one for the Zipper" as the background music slowly fades into the Notre Dame fight song. And while the first two didn't press the idea any further, Bridges made a few screwball comedies after "Airplane" and Nielsen used the genre to revive his career to the point that most people under 40 have no idea he ever did anything else.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have a new Blu-ray home theater system in the living room and a flight from Los Angeles to Chicago to catch. I hope they serve fish. :grin:

Un decided Movie

An F-80 painted black is a Yak-7? How cheesy.! I love the digital age where you can order up any plane (or monster) you want..

Edited by Hauksbee

Final Countdown....

A bit cheezy in the effect department for today's standards, but other than that, who could not love the expression on the Zero Pilot's face as he's engaged with the Tomcat.

Not to forget the tight-formation, sub-sonic, low-alt fly-by over the Senator's Yaught. :hyper:

Loved the F-14 forever after that movie... untill.. it happened..... Top Gun..... :bad:

Edited by OvS