Sign in to follow this  
waco1937

Quick Combat

Undeniably, I've mostly been away from OFF for a few years. Real world problems to handle. Anyway I've tried to keep up with OFF. I started with the original Phase 1 and went on to Phase 2. I've got Phase 3 installed and have been working my way thru it and come across an anomaly. Take today for instance: I pitted myself in a Nieuport 11 Bebe against a Fokker EIII. Just the two of us. That AI EIII would drop to nearly the treetops and then soar up a couple of thousand feet with great ease. I'd stall out trying to keep up even half way. I reversed the roles and put myself in the EIII against the Bebe. Now the Bebe does the roller coaster soaring up and down, and I'm stalling and spinning out in the EIII. I've selected Veteran for sitation. In phases 1 & 2 I could could get on the enemies tail a fair amount of time. Not in Phase 3. Is this how it goes in QC now? Or am I missing something. I love these old crates. I started building tissue and balsa stick models of them back in WW2. I spent 20 years working on jets for Uncle Sam and have now reverted back to my original love. I regret never getting a pilots license when I had a chance, cuz I would've loved to build a flying replica of one these oldies. There used to be three replicas in a hanger outside of town where I used to live. The hanger burnt down and with it the replicas about 15 years ago. There was a DR1 in the hanger. So what am I doing wrong?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The AI has a tendency to hit the deck fairly early or readily in combat and then do rollercoasters and/or wingovers. They also seem to be able to climb back up easily enough, if/when they want to, which may be a symptom of them flying at unladen weight. They certainly seem to be able to bleed and regain energy very well, for such low-powered planes, considering the player can't (so easily, or at all) match that ability.

You may want to try changing the AI difficulty setting if you have Hat in the Ring, to a different setting, eg 'Less Aggressive', and see what difference that makes. Also in the QC setup screen itself, try setting your enemy skill level to 'Rookie' instead of the default 'Veteran' and see if that makes any difference, maybe even 'Ace' if that doesn't work.

My AI Empty Weight Mod was designed to tame some of the weight-related AI behaviour but they still do the 'go low and rollercoaster' stuff a lot and anyway, I'm fairly sure the mod doesn't do anything for QC, because I think the AI in QC uses the same FM as the player's plane and I can't add weight to the AI without doing it to the player, too. It only makes a difference in campaign, and even then the AI still does some strange stuff, and the best you can do is be aware of it and adapt your tactics accordingly. For example I know I tend to get sucked into trying to stay with them when I get on their tails, which can be hard enough when you're above them and they're doing their thing down on the deck, turning in under you, not apparently because they see you coming but just like they're stuck in a 'bad guys about but terrain avoidance' loop. Frustrating tho it is, I've found it's often better to break away, extend and gain a bit of height, then gain come back in for another shot, especially if I'm flying a heavier German scout against a more manouevrable RFC or French plane.

Edited by 33LIMA

Thanx Lima, I'll try changing the settings you suggested and see what happens. I tried the EIII and Bebe originally becuz they're somewhat similiar in capabilities and wanted a balanced fight. It turned out more like a heavy weight fighter trying to corner a feather weight. An Irishman are you? My great grandfather came over to the US fleeing the potato famine. Thanx again for the input.

Rather a generalisation of the AI there, different craft and AI settings will produce other results.

Other craft will allow the AI to behave differently EIII and N11 are probably the hardest for the AI to fly in BH&H and HITR. WW1 did often go down in height quickly as often craft would dive to escape with craft following etc and they didn't have a lot of power for vertical WW2 style fighting.

Try later craft with more power you will find different situations.

Yes mileage does vary. I just had a patrol combat in SE5s against Albatros DIIs (56 Squadron against Jasta 22 IIRC) and the Albs nearly all kept their height (until we shot them down, that is). And that was with the AI flying with extra weight.

Flying German, the SE5 seem to be one of the types that are more inclined to go to the deck early on; SPAD 7s are anothersuch type. However, in the same formation, I have seen single planes of these types keep their height or even spiral upwards, while most of the others are diving away. It's not just (or even mainly) combat drifting downwards, it's more an early tendency to lose virtually all their height; the contrast with nearly all the DIIs keeping their height was very striking. Not sure what characteristic or characteristics influence it - aircraft qualities, pilot skill, unit rating, or all of the above. Nor how the AI agressiveness setting affects it - strangely, the 'agressive' DIIs were on 'Less Agressive AI' setting but I've seen plenty of height-losers with the more balanced 'Historical' setting. Combat with 'height keepers' is much more satisfying experience and I'd prefer to use whatever settings maximised it.