Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

OFF at its best

I've just started my first serious Bristol Fighter campaign and I have to say that the OFF F2B must be one of the very best plane models in the OFF stable and one of the best in any sim, anywhere.

With the hi-res textures enabled and a suitable skin selected for 48 Squadron, in the external view (which is how I fly, pre- and post-combat) it looks absolutely surperb, down to the printed markings on the undersurfaces of its doped irish linen to the stencils on the fuselage and its other authentic markings and service-worn appearance. The 3d model itself is a joy to behold, complete with cowling apertures and shiny metal nose ring, not to mention the working wing-mounted 'fan' generator, bomb racks and authentically-marked 112lb bombs. The cockpit would benefit from higher-res textures and the Aldis sight gets in the way a bit but it is well-detailed and convincing. Also the more distant Level Of Detail models are very good with details visible at longish range. Flight characteristics are fairly benign too, not quite as tractable as the scouts but with ArcMod enabled to give my gunner a fighting chance it was a real pleasure to head off into the rain and low clouds to knock the spots off the nearest railyard, confident that we could hold our own with the Huns in the air afterward.

And so it proved, here's the claim form which resulted:

14/;3/;1917 ;8h;26 ;Flanders ;Bellevue ;Bombing Behind Enemy Front Lines ; Flying: Bristol F2b. On this day claims: ;1 ;AlbDII . ;Approaching the target between cloudbanks we were pursued by a flight of Albatrosses which turned after us but we opened our throttles and soon left them behind, scoring numerous hits on the target railway yard whose buildings we left burning in several places. On regrouping after coming off the target, the EA caught up with us and a low-level dogfight ensued. I and my gunner repeatedly hit a brown and green DII whose engine started emitting black smoke before he lost power and was last seen descending towards the ground just above the treetops, roughly between the Lines and Douai. My engine was hit during this fight, by ground fire probably, and so I then had to turn back and land at the first friendly airfield I found. Witnessed by: Jack Boyd

After this I'm looking forward to some more 2-seater careers with the other OFF 2-seaters 'fighter-bombers' too, particularly the Roland and the Hannover. But the Bristol is a particularly fine model, and a real credit to the builder, painter, and DM/FM makers.:drinks:

Edited by 33LIMA

Ah yes LIMA, without a doubt the Brisfit is one of the finest in the shed, both in looks and performance. But then I am partial as my heart belongs to the B/R buses. :smile:

Good show Sir!

Must admit I need to get flying again... and these comments are a wonderful excuse to do so... as I must admit not driven this bus yet though I do keep hooning around in the Splendid Sopwiths... and thanks again for the skins Lou excellent little bits of work they are... :drinks:

Yes I'd like to get flying again too. Bristol is nice and all but I miss my old SE!

Thanks a mil Lima... I'm to 'blame' for the skins on the Brizzy...

Wait till you see what Ted and I conjured up for the Bristol in P4... ;)

As much as I don't like the Bit planes, I love the Bristol... it really is a work of aviation engineering art. Reading about it's performance in combat compares it to some of the best WWI fighters on both sides of the fence.

OvS

Edited by OvS

The Biff is one of my favourites (the model and its FM/DM is down to me) and it's model is improved some more for OFF2 too. OvS has tweaked the skins more too so all good.