Sign in to follow this  
sparrowhawkms

Advise the newbie: I'm trying to learn how to fire te MG.

Advise a newbie:

Q6 OK I am trying to learn how to use the machine gun on the SE5a in Free Flight by feigning an attack

on parked aircraft , tents, etc at my Take-Off field in <Free Flight> .

OK, I keep on crashing because I have to aim the flight path at a target on the ground !

I haven't enough control of the aircraft yet.

QUESTION:

1. Is there a better practise target, that I can actually fire on?

2. The on-screen data on the right side is in 8(?) font, too small to read .

How can I increase in the font size to 10 or even 12 ?

3. This data is appears in Blue which is too hard to read.

How can I change the font to White ?

Thanks for the help!

sparrowhawkms

I always found that the surest way to crash while strafing a ground target was to do so at too shallow an angle, movie-style (eg like the P-15 attack in 'Empire of the Sun'). The closer I got to the target the more I would push the nose down to keep the sights lined up and being so low, it was easy to hit the ground. Better to dive (not full throttle) on your target from height, not fly at it, at or near ground level, pulling up in good time. No shallower an angle than 20-30 degrees. as seen here in this USAAF WW2 guncam footage:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Not sure what you mean about the text as i generally fly with sim warnings etc turned off. The CFS3-style fonts are certainly 'blocky' at the best of times, AFAIK there's no easy way to change them.

Edited by 33LIMA

Post the query re text size in the General forum sparrowhawkms. You can adjust various things in viewui.xml as I said in PM but post to there for more help - I can't help more as it is basically modding.

You need to fly slower maybe on your pass stay a little higher initially and dip to shoot them immediately pull up gain a bit more height then try again.

Practice is all you can do.

You could also shoot balloons along the front or near airfields.

Your guns are solidly mounted to the frame, Where ever you point that aircraft, your bullets are going to hit The most effective use of your MG, is to shoot down enemy aircraft. Rather than attacking ground targets. If you can't hit the enemy aircraft, get closer

Basically you're not aiming your guns, you're on a collision course with him. When you're about 100 feet away from him, fire the gun for a few seconds, no longer or you will hit him

The Target is mostly canvas stretched over a wooden Frame. It's meat or metal hit the pilot, the fuel tank or the engine. Else could be a very unproductive day

Just getting behind somebody and shooting at him, if you're lucky you'll shoot the back of his head off. If you didn't kill him on the first pass, all you did was announce your presence. And if he's a better pilot than you, You DIE :dntknw:

QUESTION:

1. Is there a better practise target, that I can actually fire on?

2. The on-screen data on the right side is in 8(?) font, too small to read .

How can I increase in the font size to 10 or even 12 ?

3. This data is appears in Blue which is too hard to read.

How can I change the font to White ?

Rather than go through allot of work, the data on the right is the Printed Part of the HUD. There are only 2 numbers of any use, the amunition counter ( nice to know you only have 18 bullets, before you go looking for trouble) and a Digital Fuel indication. That's it. But it's a leftover from CFS3

Grab by the Left Edge you can move it wherever you like even off screen.Grab it anyplace else, it won't budge.

The Bue Messages center screen you don't need to read, they basically say:

You Hit German Airman

You Hit German Airman

You hit German Airman

You hit German Airman . . .So if you're Shooting and Not Getting them. You're not hitting anything

Also it might say bullet hit your Wing

Bullet Hit your engine

Bullet Hit your engine

Bullet Hit your Fuel Tank . . .If you suddenly Lose Power you'll be the first to know

The Digital Fuel gauge is nice to have. If it reads 87.4% before action, yet 80% after. You caught a bullet in your fuel tank, nothing major. But I'd start looking for someplace to land. Or you can just forget it, and have the engine stop suddenly at 5000 feet. Your Chioce

If for some reason you have your heart set on attacking a truck. Number one, slow down. . He won'f run away, you only have 1 perhaps 2 light machine guns, you won't do much damage anyway,. This ain't 1943, and you ain't flying a P51 with 6 Heavy machine guns

So the only way to get more than 2 seconds on Target without crashing is to fly high over your Target. Cut your throttle and dive at him, the trick is to pull out before you take a Dirt Nap