Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Correct pronunciation for Breguet?

The question title says it all...how does one pronounce Breguet?

I suppose that Bray-Gay should work OK. It's the way I always heard it about modern aircraft (Breguet Alizé, Breguet Atlantique...).

I haven't used French in years, but I'd semi-guess at "Bre-zhway."

Edited by Hellfish6

Very simple:

How english speakers pronouce "touché" "rendez-vous" "attaché" "c'est la vie"

Those (in big) sounds are pronouced the same way as "é"

Now Just pronouce "brégué" Done! :drinks:

Sounds like: 'Tar-Get' pronounced tärprime.gifgibreve.gift

Not easy targets, though, being very fast and tough and having two rear guns. I'd love to see them in OFF!

Ha Ha.

........another one bites the dust! Hey! Hey! :grin:

That was my exact thought too sir. Salute.gif

Hellshade

like Capitaine Vengeur wrote : Braygay without accentuatipn on the "Y", the "T" being mute.

Meh, still has a 'g' in it. From my French lessons I'd have been inclined to say 'brayg-way' but no language is entirely honest so I'm happy to be corrected.

I have heard the name used in French conversation and it was pronounced "Br-ray-gay", with a slight role to the 'r' resulting in it sounding almost as if it had three syllables with the emphasis on 'ray'. Also, the 'a' sound hovered somewhere between the long 'a' and the short 'e' sound. At least, that is how I heard it pronounced north of Paris, (dialects can of course differ).

I have heard the name used in French conversation and it was pronounced "Br-ray-gay", with a slight role to the 'r' resulting in it sounding almost as if it had three syllables with the emphasis on 'ray'. Also, the 'a' sound hovered somewhere between the long 'a' and the short 'e' sound. At least, that is how I heard it pronounced north of Paris, (dialects can of course differ).

Brrrraygahay? Possible. We have regionally something of our own Scotsmen, too... :grin:

Down here on the bayou, there are a few folks named Breguet. They mostly pronounce it "BREH-gay". It's a Cajun habit, picked up from association with English settlers, to accent everything on the 1st syllable. I suppose across the pond it would be "breh-GAY".

But everything Cajun is often "wrong". For instance, there's a popular inside joke around here, seen on bumperstickers, billboards, and all sorts of things, about the LSU football team, the Tigers. Everywhere you look, you'll see "Geaux Tigers", which is supposed to be Cajun for "Go Tigers". But of course this is wrong, because without the U behind the G, "geaux" should be pronounced "zho". So they should have spelled it "got", "gau", "gaut", "gaux", "gault", or whatever. But the "eaux" ending is because so many Cajun surnames in those letters: Boudreaux, Simoneaux, Oliveaux, etc.

But the "eaux" ending is because so many Cajun surnames in those letters: Boudreaux, Simoneaux, Oliveaux, etc.

Including J.L. Burke's famous detective Dave Robicheaux. I have also noticed Devereaux as a common name in several American movies.