oswaldboelke

How does the pilot look around during flight?

How do you look around when in flight????

Newbie to OFF! A question, how does the pilot view whats around him while in flight.

In other flight sims I've played, the number keys on the far right side of the computer

key board allows the pilot to look around. I've yet to figure out to do this in OFF. All I can

see is directly in front of me, NOT very handy during air combat :-(

Oswald Boelke

get a TrackIR, the best investment you will ever make regarding flying sims :salute:

POV/HAT switch on the stick. I use the mouse myself with my left hand.

shift+numpad keys also has look around keys, see the keyboard chart included in CFS3 or linked to a great one made by "Homeboy":

in the FAQ

You can also press scroll look once then you can pan with joystick POV/HAT or leave scroll lock off and it snaps the view.

http://snomhf.exofire.net/data/OFFcmdkeysNoCFS.png

In case when people say: you want situational awareness get a Trackir, I'm not speaking French

The problem is the Trackir ain't cheap . . figure about $125

You only need purchase TR4

If you can't sneak it past the Wing Commander there are alternatives worth investigating http://www.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&index=0&feature=PlayList&v=5QqAqb_SZV0&list=PLBD4AEAD9C6F2305C

Edited by Salvo2

Another vote here for TrackIR or something similar! It's unquestionably the best improvement to my flight simming ever. Example: Try flying the SPAD XIII. The gun sight consists of a ball on a rod (nearer you) and a crosshairs out on your cowl. But they are offset to the right! No joystick hat switch will ever make that easy, though I suppose there is some "defined view" way around it... but it makes no difference to me, as I just move my head to the right as I would IRL, and while I'm lining up my shot I get shot down! err.. I mean, I make a clean kill! (Actually, it's the first scenario... there is a reason for my screen neame...)

But yes, yes, yes, go get yourself some head tracking.

Happy "flying", and welcome to OFF,

Tom

You must use the SPAD as a tool, it's very fast, but it can't manuver worth a spit at Low speed.

It's a Boom and Zoom aircraft, you make a pass, shoot the heck out of him. Then run away ( He can't catch you). And attack again

You stay and fight YOU DIE

My choice is the Sopwith Triplane ( single gun)

Excellent Pilot Visability, and great low speed manuverability :drinks:

Well, that's just it. I know how to fly in the basic sense, but detailed knowledge of the planes and tactics still escape me! But I sure do love my new setup, and as I said, TrackIR is worth it just for the "flight-seeing", I consider it indispensable for combat! The SPAD sights being eccentric like that, how best to align the sights without something like TrackIR?

Best,

Tom

While I consider myself a newbie as far as OFF is concerned, I'm hardly that with the use of Trackir. CFS3 is a total dog without Trackir, tolerable with. I see no reason the views in OFF should be all that different

I know with OFF the (F6 ) command is iron sights which lets you look down the gun itself

Then there's Virtual Cockpit which is probably what they're searching for . . . . that's unassigned at installation . . . you have to assign it

I'd use something you don't use with these aircraft, Flaps for example

I'd say TrackIR is as important as a good joystick (say compared to using the keyboard). A revelation and you will never want to fly aain without it.

Also the free head track alternatives are worth a try if you cannot afford trackiR. FaceTrackNoIR is a good one uses a web camera if you have one. OFF support in there and instructions their website.

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

See there for info and what you will need for OFF