Sign in to follow this  
ataribaby

OFF + HITR just arrvied, enjoying first steps

Hi,

My DVD just arrived and i flew firts campaing missions. Usualy i will die 2nd or 3rd campaign day by pilot error or gunfire cos i forgot to check six. This sim is damm hard if one get used with other WW2 sims but reward is big. Very nice WW1 pilot experience. Something i had with Red Baron 2 campaing system last time. There is some quirks, sure, nothing is perfect - like not registering my plane crash etc. but nothing is perfect. So i am happy with my buy and trying survive into 4th day in this bloody war. Thumbs up to devs.

Edited by ataribaby

Welcome AB!

Yes, it's bloody hard - don't feel you have to dive into a campaign right away. Do a bit of reading, pick a plane and go and fly it in quick combat to enable you to acclimatise yourself. Then you'll be much better equipped for the meat grinder.

Aside from that, consider starting a campaign early in the war so you can get some flying time in before you have to face hostile aircraft - believe me, it's a good idea.

Welcome to OFF, and, as everyone here will tell you, the new guy buys the drinks: mine's a pint of Moorhouse's Pendle Witch, thankyouverymuch...

Cheers,

Si

Hehe, yeah, just realized how hard to fly british and french rotaries so i ended fly campaign with Jasta 2 early war on Albatros II. Pretty stable and nice to fly for begining. Also got feel how to control mixture. Finaly had great mission. Detached from main formation on recce misson on first enemy contant and alone got 3 1/2 Stutters and one Pup and returned with empty magazines alone to the field. I was so lucky. Filled claim report, sadly without any wtinesses so lets see how it will ends. All kills happens near german arty positions, hope guys saw it. Grear atmosphere i must say. No sterile feel from other WW1 sims (well other than Red Baron 2 what is still WW1 campaing benchmark in my eyes cos i love it and i like good old times :) ). So lets go to next day, if i can survive long enought to see my claims processed.

Welcome ataribaby glad you are enjoying OFF and WW1. One thing check the FAQ for how to exit the mission correctly. CFS3 lets you exit in many ways but you should always "End Mission" to make sure the manager can track the main events properly.

Question 31

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm#A31

Welcome ataribaby glad you are enjoying OFF and WW1. One thing check the FAQ for how to exit the mission correctly. CFS3 lets you exit in many ways but you should always "End Mission" to make sure the manager can track the main events properly.

Question 31

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm#A31

Yep, using only End mission menu. Sometime sim ends itself, probably cos i am dead anyway and sometime it not detect my death in campaing UI. It not happen offten now as i am better now and not crash due pilot error too much :) BTW how to fill claim report? any detailed tutorial beside info in FAQ? also what realism settings in latest patch means? i see easied - bypass claims, without promotion text there. So is it means i can get automatic claims and no promotions? Bit confused with that realism options. Some insight into each one will be welcome. BTW survived 3rd mission now. Albatros is nice to fly. Got some balloons but dont know how to report em as claims. Also Sutters and BE2s i attacked seems pretty passive, no evade at all. Hope they got more aggresive later at war. Now i go to bed, its almost 1:00 pm here ;)

Edited by ataribaby

This sim is damm hard if one get used with other WW2 sims but reward is big. Very nice WW1 pilot experience.

Welcome, Ataribaby! Welcome to the totally unforgiving skies over Flanders. Welcome to the learning curve, and it can be a b*tch. When I got my copy of P3 OFF, I was going through a period of fascination with the Airco DH-2. When I saw a DH-2 in the line-up I was thrilled. Now I get to tangle with some E.III's. Right off the bat, I stalled it, stalled again, stalled it all the way to the ground. Tried the E.III. Same thing. Tried the Sopwith Camel. Stalled, stalled, then spun it into the ground. I was beginning to suspect that this was not going to be a fun game. Until I settled in to the SE.5 which is stable and easy to fly. But most have very squirrely flight characteristics and everything is horribly underpowered...until you get to the later period of the war. It can be a shock if you came from WWII sims (as so many of us did) where you had hella' power and wings filled with machine guns and cannon.

Hehe, for same reason i ended with Albatros. It flew nice and not play games on rookie :) And i passed 4th mission in one piece with 7 confirmed clamis. Well most of time poor Recce planes.

The sim will end normally when you are dead or the craft is totalled. You have options in the workshop that will sometimes let you survive (as CFS3 would in reality make you dead always at that point). You can set dead is dead if you prefer (there's a whole forum section on that how to play that better).

The FAQ has all I'll say on filling claims, there have been many discussions here about it so have a search or ask the guys.

In the current version of OFF you can only claim for balloons that are your mission assignment on balloon busting. Others will go down as ground kills due to how CFS3 does outcomes.

Next release of OFF that will change anyway.

Easy claims means you don't fill anything in also promotions are easier. If you hover the mouse it explains most. I'm sure the guys here can help with the rest.

See the sticky topic at the top of the forum here.

"OFF General Help Topics & HITR Known issues - Includes Uncleal's Tips ! "

with links to tips many subjects are covered.

The sim will end normally when you are dead or the craft is totalled. You have options in the workshop that will sometimes let you survive (as CFS3 would in reality make you dead always at that point). You can set dead is dead if you prefer (there's a whole forum section on that how to play that better).

The FAQ has all I'll say on filling claims, there have been many discussions here about it so have a search or ask the guys.

In the current version of OFF you can only claim for balloons that are your mission assignment on balloon busting. Others will go down as ground kills due to how CFS3 does outcomes.

Next release of OFF that will change anyway.

Easy claims means you don't fill anything in also promotions are easier. If you hover the mouse it explains most. I'm sure the guys here can help with the rest.

See the sticky topic at the top of the forum here.

"OFF General Help Topics & HITR Known issues - Includes Uncleal's Tips ! "

with links to tips many subjects are covered.

Rgr, thanks, asked cos Realism settings dosent get me any tool tip. Thanks for explanation. I will learn on the fly :)

Hehe, for same reason i ended with Albatros. It flew nice and not play games on rookie :) And i passed 4th mission in one piece with 7 confirmed clamis. Well most of time poor Recce planes.

Four missions! Seven kills? Rock on!

Four missions! Seven kills? Rock on!

Yeah 7 kills, as i said mostly poor recce/bomber planes. Just one early Neuiport fighter.

Baaah! Killed by flak on my first lone wolf mission. Flieger Tomas, 16. Sep - 18. Sep 1916, R.I.P. Awesome piece of work this sim. This time i will try enlist French to fly Bebe.

Out of curiosity as i am c# programmer (was former VB6 back in 2000) in RL (WPF UIs) after i saw phase 4 video with UI preview is some modern platform used for new manager in phase 4? Like C#/VB.net with WPF isntead obsolete Visual Basic 6 ? It will solve locale problems as in modern .net c#, VB.net one can define invariant culture when parsing strings into numeric datatypes. Aslo WPF is ideal and so helpful for exactly OFF manager type of UI's. Easy animation and control styles definitions. Scalable vector UI design and more.

Edited by ataribaby

Welcome, ataribaby. Have you been told yet that the new guy buys the drinksdrinks.gif

When I started I tried several planes and settled on the SE5a as a nice stable craft. It's still my favourite. When you fly a particular aircraft regularly you'll find that you get used to its quirks.

Good luck.

Welcome over Flanders fields, ataribaby.

You picked the Albatros?

Well, let's drink a virtual Pilsener on this - good choice; beautiful plane.

If you find something which you think isn't right, please ask - it may just need the correct set up;

and most chaps around here will be there to help you.

I'll add you to our "OFF Forum Pilots Maps" in the "Sticky Threads" above.

You picked the Albatros?

Well, let's drink a virtual Pilsener on this - good choice; beautiful plane.

Aha! Olham's back from vacation. He's our resident expert on Albatros.

Well, I'm not sure about the "expert" - I just fly them.

One important point about the Albatros D.III and D.V / D.Va, ataribaby - don't dive with full throttle,

don't dive too steep and not too long - the lower wings start vibrating and can easily break then.

Once you have found the right dive angle and speed, it won't be much of a problem though.

Hmm, i am not sure if its some wind turbulence modeling feature or i have something bad. Let me explain. In any aircraft i cant fly straight after i set stick into sweet spot for level flight. AC erraticaly pitch or roll frequently. Its not my stick or pedals. I got same if i disconected both. its very tiresome and i cant align for gunshots properly for this. I not saw this erratic movements in any OFF videos. There was all smooth. Any ideas? I will try Fraps that effect. Thanks for any idea, sure all drinks on me :)

Bah Edit: Ignore, yep it was wind modeling, found it in Workshop. As i do not like it - disabled and problem solved :)

Edited by ataribaby

Well, even without wind, you may have gyroscopic effects on rotary engine planes;

and slight rolling or drifting a bit sideways even on inline engine planes.

The Sopwith Camel or the Fokker Dr.1 will not fly straight when you let the stick alone.

But that is quite correct - the planes were like that.

If you want a stable aircraft there is always the BE2 :salute: It's quite fun trying to stay alive....

I am about to try to fly through the whole war with 4 Squadron. I do cheat though, when a pilot goes west I add another one at the same date. I was really on 4 squadron 40 years ago so it's the least I can do. :grin: