Olham

Your nicest Christmas present?

What was the Christmas present you were most happy about?

Well, mine wasn't especially sent for Christmas, but it arrived in that time.

It is a book by Heinz Nowarra: "50 JAHRE DEUTSCHE LUFTWAFFE" (Vol. 1),

and it contains lots of photos I had never seen, from the first days of German

military aviation, before WW1 even broke out. I didn't even know of it's existence.

I got it from our forum member Hauksbee, who owned it since the 1960s, and

I am very grateful for this - thank you, Hauksbee!

I have just found Volume 2 (1916 - 1917) at AbeBooks, and will order that one too.

• Like 1

Mine is arriving on Tuesday... a 28" Monitor....So I will actually be able to see what the hell I'm doing! :drinks:

Sorry to trump you all, but...my son arrived home Dec. 16 on leave from Afghanistan. It cost all my built-up vacation and flex time, plus one unpaid day (it's been a rough year, I usually have to burn time so I'm not going over my allotted carry-over time at the end of the year), but I was able to take off the whole two weeks.

Sorry to trump you all, but...my son arrived home Dec. 16 on leave from Afghanistan.

You beat us. That's the best present. :good:

Indeed, the best present of all.

(well, the very best present, will be to have our Sons and Daughters home for good)...let's hope that's sometime soon :drinks:

Sorry to trump you all, but...my son arrived home Dec. 16 on leave from Afghanistan..

Glad to hear it! You must have been very, very good this year.

Hi All

Long time since I was on this forum and posted anything. I got a copy of "Covenant with Death" by John Harris :good:

Long out of print but very well worth reading if you can get hold of a copy.

Cheers

Quoth

Carrick, you're a modest man. But vonBaur really beat us all. What could be greater?

Quoth, is it about WW1 air combat?

Hi Oldham

No, it is WW1 but it's about the formation of a Kitchener battalion and follows it through to the battle of the Somme. It's fiction but very well researched and heavily based on fact. Very moving.

Cheers

Quoth

Ah, I see. I have just read Cecil Lewis' book "Sagittarius Rising", where he also wrote a good bit about that battle.

My nicest present was having all the kids and the granddaughter home for Christmas. It was wonderful.

Got me one of them there Galaxy Tab 10.1s, now I can read the OFF Forums on the Train to and from University!

Have to pay extra for the privilege of using the internet on the train mind, despite paying to be there, even though chances are you won't get a seat anyway! grmbl grmbl grmbl etc...

Other than that I got a 1:48 Tamiya Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 (I'm going to crash it I'm afraid).

I also bought Sagittarius Rising recently, although I've only just started it really.

Brings me back to my Galaxy Tab - I keep downloading random books and the like, already downloaded a years worth of archived Royal Aeronautical Society 'Aerospace International' and 'The Aerospace Professional' along with some light reading such as Sun Tzu's Art of War and War and Peace, after all - you never know when the Train might be delayed by 17 years or so, this is Britain after all! :rofl:

you never know when the Train might be delayed by 17 years or so, this is Britain after all! :rofl:

:rofl::good:

I also bought Sagittarius Rising recently, although I've only just started it really.

An excellent book - I am just reading it and I'm at the last bit of it in 1918.

Definitely a keeper!

...after all - you never know when the Train might be delayed by 17 years or so, this is Britain after all!

So bad, eyh? And I am upset about German rail, when they have delays over Christmas...

But it's noticable - things have a down-tendency here too.

But read good Cecil's book - the love for England in his descriptions may make your heart glow warmer.

Was working over xmas this year,

but I bought myself a new canon 35x superzoom camera for this seasons airshows. looks like theres only about 3 airshows at duxford but tons at Shuttleworth

I'll post the pics & vids when the time comes grin.gif

Time spent with my extended family, in particular my 14 month old granddaughter!

Close second, by an extraordinary act of friendship from an almost stranger, receipt of "Fliegerasse, Helmut Wick vs J.C.Dundas, tödliches duell im November 1940" for IL2 CLoD.

Take a bow that man!