Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Lou's OFF Flying Desk Redux

Greetings All,

Work has had me traveling A LOT lately, and so my flying time has been nearly nil, (as has my visiting time here on the forums). Add to that my old Logitech Extreme Pro 3D finally bit the dust which had me searching for a new JS as well. However, after a bit of shopping around and vast amounts of windshield time to come up with all sorts of ideas concerning OFF and how to tweak my flying desk even further towards enjoying said sim, I got home Friday with a Saitek AV8R-01 stick and a grand plan. After a wonderful evening catching up with Jane and things around home I got a good night sleep and arose early Saturday AM and immediately sequestered myself in the shop and got busy building. After an outstandingly successful day's efforts I now have "Lou's Flying Desk 2012" well along the way:

Lou_flying_desk_2012_001.JPG

Here is the right-hand side of the new insert with the drop down for the joystick and the extended rest for the mouse and note pad, (I have a new TrackBall mouse coming in the mail to replace the old one shown in the photos).

Lou_flying_desk_2012_002.JPG

Here is the pièce de résistance of the project thus far: my new throttle and mixture controls properly located on the left side of the "cockpit":

Lou_flying_desk_2012_003.JPG

I actually cut out the section at the rear of the Saitek that holds these controls and build a new housing with a nice vintage look to it. I also cut off the stock handles and built new ones that I patterned after the ones you see when you look down in the OFF Camel cockpit. I then extended the wiring to the potentiometers and Bob's your uncle, it all worked like a charm. I will now build a cover to go over the void left at the back of the stick base.

Lou_flying_desk_2012_004.JPG

I have the scale markings to add yet along the slots in the new housing, but other than that this part of the project is done. I am also planning to relocate the front switch plate on the Saitek so that it resides to the right of the new throttle and mixture levers and above the keyboard, as these are my controls for the mags, battery, and engine crank. But right now I am just going to fly a mission or two over the virtual front and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

:pilotfly:

Cheers!

Lou

Very fine work, Lou - I guess you must feel very happy in your "cockpit"!

Never seen that SAITEK - is it a very expensive class? Looks very solid.

Mind you, but what is the rock in pic 1 there for? Trimming your weight? :grin:

What do your riggers say to all the new stuff?

Definitely a good looking lash-up, but do you fly with the joystick off center, or move over when you're in the air?

Well, I also fly off-center. My stick is level with the right monitor edge more or less.

Well, I also fly off-center. My stick is level with the right monitor edge more or less.

How interesting. 'Must try it.

Not so straining for your hand and wrist.

Grr... as I also use my desk for work and other things having everything mounted is not going to work... but nice setup Lou maybe one day I will just go the whole hog and build a plane instead... :drinks:

Slarti, I know what you mean about having a single computer that has to handle everything. That's how I flew RB3D for a long time. It's a treat to have a dedicated set-up just for my own purposes.

Hauksbee, as Olham noted, keeping the stick offset to your favored side is much nicer in terms of in-sim control and minimizing fatigue. With the new set-up I've just built the stick is at the perfect height and location for me. My arm rests comfortably on the arm of the chair and when I am in the 'flying' position with my feet on the pedals my right hand falls naturally onto the JS. Very nice.

Olham, I am VERY happy with the new cockpit. I just finished a mission in my Camel and it was sheer bliss! :smile:

Beautiful work, Lou :good: . Nothing beats a set-up that's custom-built to your particular needs and situation. And the pride in making it all come together is very satisfying, too. We men are, after all, builders. I particularly liked your ingenuity with the throttle/mixture controls. Absolutely brilliant. My first impression of it was that it was homemade, but only from the standpoint of its uniqe appearance not its excellent workmanship.

Slarti, I'm hoping to get a dedicated flying computer in the next year or two but for now mine also must serve double-duty. And while I don't have to share it with anyone, trying to work around a joystick is a pain in the pilot's seat. My solution can be seen about halfway down the first page here, and as pointed out it's relatively simple and very inexpensive. It also allows you to choose the exact position of your stick so you can have it in the center for realism or off to the side for comfort (and for realism, if you're flying an F-16).

Thanks von Baur, glad you approve of my efforts. I just looked at the photos you posted in the earlier thread showing your set-up and I applaud you on your creativity Sir, particularly the dual curtain rod plug in idea. Very clever way around the problem of having one computer that has to serve multiple purposes. I have always been a big fan of the home brew approach. good.gif

Olham, I missed your questions earlier Sir. The Saitek AV8R-01 is a nice JS for about $28 US dollars, so 'No', not an expensive class item. As to the rock: not trim ballast, only part of my mineral collection. It is actually a beautiful conglomerate that is bound together by hundreds of large amethyst and quartz crystals. A fantastic chunk really and a garage sale bargain for a fiver.

Is that Overlayed Plywood you used? It is an old sign product and is vastly superior to regular plywood, and of course waterproof. I have bunch of shelves and things made from, some even still have the signs on them ;)

Beard

I've never been a big believer in "one size fits all". And while I don't reject the notion totally I find that it rarely fits very many very well. It's nice to see someone else who doesn't mind 'fixing' something that's brand new to make it better fit his idea of how things should be, too. One question: how did that go over with your wife :yikes: ? A few years ago I bought a Logitech 3D Pro because it was the best I could find at the time. Immediately after getting it out of the box I took it apart and removed a piece of the centering apparatus that was making it too stiff. I caught a few looks and a half-hearted "As long as you know what you're doing" from the late Frau von Baur, I can tell you.:no:

(BTW, the stick worked fine and I used it for three years or so until I bought a SWFFPro2 to use with OFF P3)

Personally I think the Globe is a nice touch... handy if you get REALLY lost. :grin:

Contact! tink... tink... tink... Clear!

Edited by Dej

Dej, I have definitely been so lost in the OFF skies that I needed a globe to figure out which continent I was over. :biggrin:

von Baur, my better half actually has faith in me when it comes to such things. She usually says, "It's so nice that you know how to do such things." Usually. :wink:

Burning Beard, I did indeed use overlayed plywood. An outstanding material for such projects as this.

Carrick, thanks for the kudos Sir.

Personally I think the Globe is a nice touch... handy if you get REALLY lost.

"Mmuahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!"

Edited by Olham