Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Bristol Fighter caught on video excellently

This video surely fired my appetite for flying a Brisfit Campaign!

This guy captured the craft excellently well - and the weather assisted him fine - enjoy!

• Like 1

Very nice, Olham. I'm going to one of Old Warden's flying days this year - looking forward to it.

I've been running into Brisfits on several different sites lately, and find myself wondering how good it was as a fighter. These days we'd probably call it a fighter/bomber. How fast was it compared to contemporary single-seaters? Was it maneuverable? Did you stand a snowball's chance in hell if your gunner was taken out?

The Bristol F.2 first suffered bad losses (von Richthofen's "Circus" shot down 5, when they first met them),

because it had been sent out with a tactic of cooperation of 2 craft, which didn't work at all.

But when it was recognised, that the aircraft really was a fast and solid fighter, the tactics were changed.

Now the craft would fight almost like a scout.

It was strong and solid enough to perform dives and turn very well, and the "Brisfit" became a craft which

was feared by German scout pilots, for it attacked with it's forward gun, and then it also had twin MGs in

the rear. I guess you had to be the daring kind, to attack a "Biff".

TOP SPEEDS

Bristol F.2 - 198 km/h

Albatros D.II - 175 km/h

Albatros D.III - 175 km/h

Albatros D.V - 180 km/h

If you see them in OFF, you get an idea of their lethality - they are usually all over the place!

Edited by Olham

If you see them in OFF, you get an idea of their lethality - they are usually all over the place!

Thanks Olham. I feel encouraged to try one. Given the trouble I've had trying to shoot down two-seaters, it will be nice to have that extra measure of protection on my side.

The Biff was actually faster than any German fighters it encountered. It was also very manoeuverable, especially for a two-seater. Not an opponent you want to attack poorly prepared as a scout pilot.

Enjoy the "Biff", Hauksbee - and feel safer with the gunner behind you.

If you fly so, that he will always have a good field of fire, he should save your bum, surely.

Edited by Olham

If you fly so, that he will always have a good field of fire, he should save your bum, surely.

You're quickly making a believer out of me.

The Biff gunners are experts at destroying German scout engines. I've lost countless engines attacking them. Those two Lewis guns are absolutely deadly.

I've read that in real life, it was easier for the observer to handle a single Lewis, because having two guns made the mounting heavier and slower to move.

Daimler-Benz owe a fortune to the Biff gunners - I alone must have lost two dozen engines to them. :grin:

Maybe your pilots should become Mercedes shareholders? They could then profit by trying to fight mostly against Brisfits. Capitalism at its best! :grin:

Tried it. No shares were available. That lot stick together! :grin: