UK_Widowmaker

Incompetent, and a coward

At the very least. Man the transcript is amazing how he wasnt on the damn boat.

"Wah, wah, wah. It's too dark--there's another boat in the way--wah, wah, wah!"

What a wanker!

yeah this guy f-ed up pretty bad. I have a feeling that there will be alot of iranian naval captains doing the same thing soon. ;)

Total waster - far too many of them in the wrong positions!!

A naval academy friend of my father wich happened to be among the passengers appeared on the italian news the first day...he was mad at the captain

News is he was on drugs apparently, now they gonna test him.

Change course and sail closer to the island to show it to the friend? With 4000 passengers onboard?

Side note, my father who in his young days was sailing a lot and wanted to go to studies in Gdańsk after which he could design ships in the future, said that in the good old days that was unthinkable for a captain of any ship, even a river barge full of coal, to step from the deck before anyone else was onboard (he's now much into the Concordia thing and it's on the TV in our home all the time)

the sea-going version of flying low...........

News is he was on drugs apparently, now they gonna test him.

he surely wanted to wave at the gnomes :-p

Several articles I managed to read indicate that this day could be remembered a day of infamy for Italy on many other concerns than just Captain Runaway. Many passengers, often old people, report that most of the crew were too busy saving their own lives to manage the evacuation; and many report that the only crewmen they saw take care of them were the Indonesian waiters, modern sea slaves left behind in the same way themselves had been. Another matter of shame could be the disgusting behaviour of the Inhabitants of the island of Giglio. Some frozen and traumatized survivors report that the doors and windows there closed at them; that when they tried to warm themselves, the coffee was sold for 3 euros; and that the islanders refused point-blank to serve those who had lost their money in the sinking. Those Mediterranean islanders are usually prone to attend church, but evade as soon as they have a practical occasion to behave as true Christians...

.....wow. just.....wow. :blink:

SidDogg

Wow yeah. good find UK.

Thanks for the insight CV.

Stary::

Change course and sail closer to the island to show it to the friend? With 4000 passengers onboard?

Typhoid::

the sea-going version of flying low...........

My first instructor took control and dived on his girl friend's house. On another flight, he took control and dived on a hi school where the school shop had his corvette in for ... a head light change. Of course Chuck Yeager wrote of doing the flylow thing over his home town in a B-29. Imagine the perpendicular univese where Yeager lost a tail over the town square.

I changed instructors.

• Like 1

Several articles I managed to read indicate that this day could be remembered a day of infamy for Italy on many other concerns than just Captain Runaway. Many passengers, often old people, report that most of the crew were too busy saving their own lives to manage the evacuation; and many report that the only crewmen they saw take care of them were the Indonesian waiters, modern sea slaves left behind in the same way themselves had been. Another matter of shame could be the disgusting behaviour of the Inhabitants of the island of Giglio. Some frozen and traumatized survivors report that the doors and windows there closed at them; that when they tried to warm themselves, the coffee was sold for 3 euros; and that the islanders refused point-blank to serve those who had lost their money in the sinking. Those Mediterranean islanders are usually prone to attend church, but evade as soon as they have a practical occasion to behave as true Christians...

It's true , a huge infamy for Italy.

I have not heard about this bad people who asked money to the survivors or refused to help them but honestly i didnt read or heard everything about the disaster ... for sure i heard about peoples who thanked the citizens of island of Giglio and the Coastal Guard crews for the help during the passengers rescue.

Me too i am disgusted and sad for what happened and i am also disgusted when peolpe start to take easy and generic conclusions about an entire community/nation because someone (how many realy?) did something wrong.

Too many peoples are died;avoid these easy and useless sentences , please.

• Like 3

Well, regardless of how the Island Population behaved, the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Captain Numb-nuts!.....His head is gonna roll

i agree with ErikGen , the failure to act from a few can not be blamed on a Nation and beside the fact that this captain is a disgrace to his profession i would like to know how this accident could happen in the first place and what the hell where all the other officers doing prior to the accident ???

that ship did not change course on his own somebody did steer it to that point , im not a sailor but if a captain is steering a dangerous course then the other officers have to report him or take action and i´m prety sure this was not the first time this "change" of course was made so i think it is safe to say that there are more guilty persons involved than only this selfish captain , and as we know from the past just to say " i had my orders " does not realy work anymore

Edited by ravenclaw_007

Me too i am disgusted and sad for what happened and i am also disgusted when peolpe start to take easy and generic conclusions about an entire community/nation because someone (how many realy?) did something wrong.

Well guys stupid men lives under the same skyes all over the world i can remember 4 stupid "Redneck" that found funny to fly under the Cermins Cableway, but nobody put the entire Marine Corps into the blame...No one rational brain i mean.

So it will be better to wait the investigations works to judge who was wrong and what goes wrong, after all we're talking about the Flag ship of one of the main cruisers Lines of the world, linked with the Carnival too.....It's difficult to belive that they gave that "Boat" into a completely Dumb Capitain and Crew.

Mauz.

Edited by NGHENGO

No intention to hurt any people who didn't deserve it, to make excessive generalizations, or to promote derogatory clichés. Truly. Apologise if interpreted as such. Anyway, I know I would never venture on these giant floating metropolises whose international crew can embody the worst of the Tower of Babel regarding communications and efficiency; whose staff can embody the worst of human imperfection in big structures regarding internal promotions and string-pulling; and which themselves embody the overconfidence in modern expensive technology over the human element (simple common sense, for example). Well, maybe one more excessive generalization... But I will always reserve my confidence to smaller ships, low on water, aware enough of their own fragility to remain cautious in any maneuver, and whose reduced crew of nationals behaves as a tied family.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer Cap Vengeur.

Good point, I dont like those mega cruise ships for your same reason also i cant understand the logic of a ship made in order to give you the feeling you are in a luxury village resort insted of on a ship.

Yes there are many guilty people for this tragedy ... who did the dangerous manouver, who did nothing to avoid this and who did place all this untrained and unprofessional people on the ship.

My question is: how deeper are verifications to test professionality of crews? How many other situations potentially dangerous like this are floating/flying around the world and simply had better fortune?

The gent from the Coast Guard wasn't taking any crap and he didn't need to do anything to "make him look bad". The Captain really did sound like he was farting about in the middle of a crisis...

Edited by ZmelliFahrdz

I've never liked Ships!..... Seasickness with an option to Drown!

I've never liked Ships!..... Seasickness with an option to Drown!

Just like flying a Bleriot across the ocean.

The gent from the Coast Guard wasn't taking any crap and he didn't need to do anything to "make him look bad". The Captain really did sound like he was farting about in the middle of a crisis...

Firm tone, but clearly unsufficent to rally a panicked yellow-belly. Perhaps the Coast Guards should have threatened to shoot him, and fired a warning burst? Desperate situations require desperate measures... Too late, now what could they do? Apply on his ten fingers the good old Roman decimation for cowardice in the face of danger? Too late...

Incredible...

The article mentions the ship has previously passed even closer to the shore with no damage :blink:

The article mentions the ship has previously passed even closer to the shore with no damage :blink:

The rocks he hit this time were a bit out from the shoreline. So he passed inside them before - this time he ran right into them.

(edit: He appears to have run inside of where he went before and hit a rock very clearly marked and visible on Google Earth - 42°21'20.43"N, 10°55'48.66"E - which is insanely close to the shore.)

a treacherous, incompetent idiot. He needs to be keel-hauled beneath what's left of his ship.

Edited by Typhoid