Pips

Promotion Idea

Sometime soon P4 of Over Flanders Field will be released, perhaps even this year? I, like everyone here, want to see the product sales do really really well, so that you guys make money (hopefully retain your interest) and continue to develop the product. Selfish I know! :blink:

The question is just how well known is OFF in the market place? And how much interest is there in it? Looking at Forum stats on various sites I hate to admit it, but OFF rates quite low on the totum pole. And as far as media exposure goes 'Rise Of Flight' always seems to be in the news.

One of the best selling aircraft simulation magazines around is "PC Pilot". And as will be shown below Rise Of Flight is constantly being promoted. Not just in the occassional Ad, but by clever use PR to gain free coverage in magazine feature articles. For example the following PC Pilot magazine issues contained articles on ROF:

* Issue 76 (Nov/Dec 2011):

Free RoF DVD on the CD that is on the cover of each issue of PC Pilot. Plus a 2 page article (by the magazine itself) on the latest developments in RoF.

* Issue 75 (Sept/Oct '11):

Four (4) page article on RoF sim developments.

* Issue 72 (Mar/Apr '11):

Four (4) page article on latest RoF v1.016

* Issue 71 (Jan'Feb '11):

Four (4) page article on upcoming RoF game developments, in the format of Q & A with 777 Studios.

* Issue 70 (Nov/Dec '10):

Two (2) page article on 'Flying the Albatross D.Va' in RoF.

* Issue 69 (Sept/Oct '10):

Two (2) page article on 'Flyine the Fokker D.VII'.

* Issue 68 (July/Aug '10):

Two (2) page article on 'Flying the Se5a".

* Issue 67 (May/June '10):

Two (2) page article on 'Flying the Fokker Dr.1'.

* Issue 66 (Mar/Apr '10):

Two (2) page article on 'Flying the Sopwith Camel'.

* Issue 65 (Jan/Feb '10):

Two (2) page article on 'RoF - Anatomy of a Flight Sim'.

* Issue 64 (Nov/Dec '09):

Five (5) page Main Feature article on 'RoF-The Return of WWI Combat Simulation'.

* Issue 63 (sept/Oct '09):

Half page article on the release of RoF, PLUS a Massive Movie on the CD as well.

In addition to the almost year and a half of solid RoF promotion by PC Pilot, there have been numerous short movies included on the magazines cover CD; as well as many mentions of whatever is the latest product release by 777 Studios in the magazines 'News' section. And to top it off invariably each Issue contains feedback in the "Letters' Section on RoF. All great promotion, as well as showing continued interest in WWI simulations.

Note: Most feature articles are written by one Derek Davis.

So my idea is this. How about the OFF crew take a leaf out of 777 Studios and offer 'OFF Between Heaven and Hell' as a free CD give away to PC Pilot? To be placed on the cover CD? The opportunity could also be taken then to follow it up with giving Derek Davis (of PC Pilot) the add-on "Hat in The Ring". And then feed him information -articles and movies- of what's coming in P4. I think it's a low cost way to promote OFF (other than the cost of the CD's) and an excellent way to hit our target market. The goal is lots of articles over several months in the magazine. I know that that can never be guaranteed, but if the product is supplied to them, there has to be a good chance of gaining exposure. Maybe even include Derek (if good vibes are there) as a Beta tester!?

Interest in WWI simulation is definitely out there. Otherwise PC Pilot would not have committed valuable magazine space to this topic unless it would help them sell magazines. It's interesting to note that no other sim (other than Microsoft Flight Simulator) has received the same level of exposure in the magazine!

Edited by Pips
  • Like 1

If you also notice, the OFF crew has not been seen to ask their customers to buy just one more plane before Christmas so they can stay in busniess like ROF did this past year, so maybe the OFF busniess model is more successful than the ROF busniess model.

• Like 1

If you also notice, the OFF crew has not been seen to ask their customers to buy just one more plane before Christmas so they can stay in busniess like ROF did this past year, so maybe the OFF busniess model is more successful than the ROF busniess model.

Speaking from the outside I'd imagine that as OFF was originally a free mod that went payware with phase 3, rather than a pay for product with a production team from the begining, it's probably a bit different, as seeing as they were making a free game anyway it'd probably be a bit harder to go out of business for something that didn't bring a profit to begin with.

Also there's the fact that you still need a genuine copy of CFS3 to install OFF?

As the time approaches for P4 to make it to the market, perhaps a copy could find its way to Andy Mahood at PC Gamer magazine. He recently reveiwed Wings of Power Spitfire add on for FSX, so there should be no reason not to do OFF-P4 for CFS3.

"Also there's the fact that you still need a genuine copy of CFS3 to install OFF?"

If there's one move that the devs should consider (IMHO) for P4, above all others, it would be talking to Mickeysoft - who've clearly given up on CFS3 - in order to get their agreement to port whatever files are needed from CFS3(.1) to the base data for OFF P4, thereby obviating the need for the bloody thing.

For too long, the stench of CFS3's reputation has clung quite unfairly to OFF P3, to the point where some simmers seem to be utterly unwilling to buy OFF because (a) it's based on CFS3 (and you need the disk) and (b) it's a product that is expected to be paid for, in a world where people are expected to produce top drawer sims for no reward whatsoever. Completely f***ing ludicrous.

Devs - get the files you need. Even the rapacious Microsoft surely can't be arsed about 5-10,000 units of CFS3 that they'll never shift again (and which they probably stopped producing about 8 years ago).

My 2d.

Regarding the previous comment about PC Pilot.

PC Pilot has always been a bit biased towards commercial packages. I remember when one of their people used to write for PC Aviator Magazine as well. He never mentioned any of the problems people were having with Cliffs of Dover or RoF when they first came out. Most other magazines used to mention problems with online activation, slow FPS etc, but one never hears any negative comments in PC Pilot.

I eventually stopped buying the magazine out of protest. They have some very good articles but go too far to being a commercial advertising magazine for my liking. I could not trust any of their reviews.

But other than that it is a good magazine.

I think one of the best things OFF has going for it is that it does not need any sort of activation. You would think that should attract a few RoF prospective buyers. From looking at GoG.com and The Witcher 2 sales figures the DRM free model is proving very popular.

I must admit if it were not for the activation I probably would look at Rof out of interest. But as it stands I did not even take up the free limited version awhile ago as it still needed activation.

Cheers MarkL

:salute: Mircosoft $ is all about money so dont hold your breath. However, I think the forum could come up with some ideas for Marketing OFF. For example, the idea of writing or E mailing a PC mag requesting a review of OFF is a good one. Maybe listing or talking about in other Forums might promote our game . How about it ?

Interesting thread gentlemen.

I remember when I first found OFF. It began with a general search of flight sims, which was then refined to WWI. This got me to Rise of Flight...Then I wanted to see videos of play, which led me to youtube and the wonderful videos of Hellshade, seeing the flights of planes swooping into combat amidst the puffs of arty just won me over right away...

The point is, up until then I had no idea any of it even existed, and I only found it by acting like a dog with a bone over the entire concept of WWI simming.

I think if there was to be a grass roots movement of mass information delivery over various social media sites, then I would be happy to be a part of that. Awareness is key.

We are fully aware of what is needed, and know Derek and PC Pilot well. Our small team is around a 3rd of the size of most other "small teams" and we are also mostly part-time. We don't have any dedicated PR. Unfortunately first we need to concentrate our efforts to make it (to a certain point) before we can release more details for articles, then we will turn to getting it out there best we can and spread the word. But anything you guys can do to help is appreciated - some have you have helped already.

We could all show a bit of support..by joining the OFF Facebook page, if you havent already...and are an FB'er

We could all show a bit of support..by joining the OFF Facebook page, if you havent already...and are an FB'er

UKW,

I have just been on facebook to join the page, and found I joined a long time ago (so I am as guilty as most), but the last time someone posted something was 21st november 2011, with the result that the page is now scheduled to be archived - so come on people lets show our support and start posting on the page to at least keep it open.