Olham

Legends in Flight

Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 1 in flight...

...and it's opponent, the Messerschmidt Bf109 E - enjoy!

Edited by Olham

I still maintain that the Spitfire Mk. I is the most beautiful machine created by mankind thus far.

Hi Olham,

I guess I was more than prepared to be enchanted by the Spitfire clip - after all it's a lovely noise and shape - but I wasn't expecting to be so impressed by the first authentic (ie, non Merlin engined) ME109 I've seen in flight. What a plane, what a noise. Beautiful!

Cheers,

Si

Yes, the Bf 109 with a real Mercedes engine is rare today. I'll search for a G-type, too.

Here is - very rare - a Focke-Wulf 190 A in flight...

...and some great performance by a De Havilland "Mosquito".

2000 pounds of bombs, 4 machine guns and 4 20mm cannon? No wonder the Luftwaffe hated Mosquitos. I wonder what they thought of the Westland Whirlwind?

I still maintain that the Spitfire Mk. I is the most beautiful machine created by mankind thus far.

Macchi 202 'Fulgore' for me. The Spitfire is just TOO clean. There is a beauty in utility and character in quirks, which the Spitfire doesn't have, IMHO. They both have long noses though, which is a thing of beauty in fighters of that era as far as I'm concerned... the long-nosed FW190 is a favourite too.

That 109 DID sound good though.

Macchi 202 'Fulgore' for me.

Strange choice IMHO...I find most things Italian, rather...erm..... well....crap basically :grin:

And not forgetting those American Pratt & Whitney radial engines.

A vulgar Vultee BT 13 and its wonderful sound.

I dont know if these are re build or what except for the 109G Red 7 that one is a HA something from Spain

Edited by carrick58

The "Vultee" sounds good, von Paulus, but won't win the prize for good looks.

Dej, with the Spit it's like with Beatles songs. You must have seen her too

much and too often to be fair in your judgement. But the Macchi fighters do

look hot - here is the Macchi C.205 "Veltro":

Carrick, that is the original engine surely in your second vid.

Here is my personal favourite German fighter - the Focke Wulf 190 D 9:

Olham, the two German machines display the Swastika, so I guess the meeting doesn't take place other Germany. Such markings are probably forbidden there.

UK, I wouldn't say all Italian machines look crappy. Actually, my favourite biplane all times could be the Fiat CR.32. A sesquiplane with very pure shapes...

Yes, correct, Capitaine - the Swastika is forbidden here. I guess they are American planes.

Widow, there seems to be that old competition in tastes between Italy and England, maybe?

Like with cars. One may like a Lamborghini Miura.

But then the original Cobra came from England.

In the Jaguar limousine they have both met - British engineering + Italian design

(I think it is from Bertone?)

And hey, they can do some things very nice - like Pizza and Spaghetti?

:grin:

I've always liked the shapes of all Fw 190 fighters. The Spitfire is a beauty too.

The Italians actually designed some great aircraft during WW2. Their Serie 5 fighters, like the Fiat G.55 and the Macchi C.202, were excellent. The Germans were planning to take the former into production, because it performed even better than the Bf 109 and Fw 190 under certain conditions. But in the end that didn't happen, because the Bf 109 was much faster and cheaper to manufacture.

Italian aircraft production was hampered by poor engines. Things improved dramatically when they started to build Daimler-Benz engines under license. But that happened too late in the war to have a major impact on anything.

Another "hot" looking design was the Heinkel He-112, which was not built in larger numbers, AFAIK.

I must go and have a look to see if there's any decent footage of Japanese and Russian planes. There must be...

Well, Mighty, especially for you - here is a YAK 9...

...and a Lavochkin La-9:

And here about three Japanese fighters I like - unfortunately I found no better material.

The Japanese Kawasaki KI 61 "Hien" (Allied name: "Tony") was built after the Heinkel He-100

and He-112, which the Japanese had both bought.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Nakajima Ki-84 "Hayate" (Allied name: "Frank")

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FCfKUOj9ojI